Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"the Next Cam Newton"

32 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Is-Virginia-Tech-QB-Logan-Thomas-the-next-Cam-Newton.html

From Wes Bunting, directer of scouting from NFP, on VTech's Logan Thomas.

Recent article by Bunting:

However, the guy has the ability to stress a defenses from a number of ways much like Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton and if he can continue show improvement as a passer this year, it wouldn’t shock me at all if he ends up being the draft’s number one overall pick come April 2013.

Here's Bunting analysis of Newton in 2010

Now, my mind could still change, but as of now looking over the facts there is simply too much that goes into the development of becoming a great quarterback in the league and some of his past immature efforts are just enough to make me look elsewhere at the QB position when trying to identify my new future signal caller if I need to invest first-round money in the kid.

My Grade

6.6: Clean player who is inconsistent in his play due to character, alertness or competitiveness…Has all the physical tools needed to become a starter…If he overcomes his deficiencies he will be a star in the league…If he doesn’t he will be a complete failure — There is NO middle ground!

What round?

I don’t think there is any way this guy makes it past the first round. However, like I stated earlier, I just wouldn’t feel comfortable taking Newton in round one at this stage. He seems like a much safer pick in round two where the financial investment isn’t nearly as high, which is why I would give him a second-round grade as of today.

Funny how things can change after one season. This time last year, we all heard the what ifs and criticism from the experts. Many of us had them ourselves.

Not sold on Thomas. Went to a game in Blacksburg last year against Arkansas State and wasn't impressed. Guy had a lot of weapons last season and IMHO one of the most underrated players in college football in workhorse back David Wilson. Giants got a steal with him in the draft.

Thomas does have elite size for a QB. There's no denying that. He can take hits and lay a few of his own, too. Dude started out as a TE and is about as raw as they come. Bunting thinks he could be the #1 pick overall next season and I got a huge chuckle out of that. It just shows the influence Cam has with college players and scouts now.

Posted · Report post

I like Logan, but he's no Cam. More like a Freeman.

Posted · Report post

Dude sucks.

Anybody who's 6'5 gets compare to cam huh?

Posted · Report post

Logan is just that - TE playing QB.

Posted · Report post

Once the huge athletic freaks quit playing basketball and choose football....we wont see another Newton IMO. Or once people start letting the QB instead of play DE

Posted · Report post

Actually, they compared Tajh Boyd to Cam last year, lol.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I watched this guy play. He isn't no Cam Newton.

Posted · Report post

He needs a lot of improvement if he's gonna go anywhere in the 1st round. He finished middle of the pack last year in the conference.

Posted · Report post

I watched this guy play. He isn't no Cam Newton.

So he is Cam Newton?

Posted · Report post

So he is Cam Newton?

Haha I thought the same thing

Posted · Report post

Feels good to have the national pundits scramble around looking for the next "Cam Newton", means we have something special in our hands.

Posted · Report post

The grammar police take down their latest perpertrator(sp?)!