• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,718 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:16 AM

"He showed us enough," said Carroll. "He's in the competition." Carroll praised Wilson's preparation, "terrific arm," and early grasp of Seattle's West Coast offense while confirming he'll be given an opportunity to start on Opening Day. "I'd hoped that, and we confirmed it in these three days," Carroll said. "He left really no question about he needs to be involved in the competition."

I still laugh at all the people who said they wouldn't take him until the 5th round. This guy is NOT Seneca Wallace...that's one of the most race-based comparisons I've seen. He's a shorter version of Drew Brees if you want to make a comparison and it's not going to shock me at all if he wins that starting job. I think he can succeed in any offense but if they open up a spread then he's going to be surgical with his arm and running ability.

#2 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

Lets see what happens before we decide much about him. What did you expect Carroll to say? He sucks and it was a mistake to pick him in the third? Somehow I think Flynn will start and he will be fighting for the third quarterback slot.

#3 Jesse

Jesse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

Why would you spend millions on a QB in Flynn and expect a 5'10 3rd rounder to start?

He's talking to the birds. This is just to help Wilson get motivated.

#4 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,669 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

Russel is a very good QB prosepect IMO. Height is his problem... If he was taller he would've been a top 5 pick for sure.

#5 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,877 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

Russel is a very good QB prosepect IMO. Height is his problem... If he was taller he would've been a top 5 pick for sure.

Yup, had he been 2-3 inches taller, he would have gone to Miami.

#6 cultclassiccat

cultclassiccat

flash

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,584 posts
  • LocationG spot

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

miami prob gunna be pissed they passed on him. I wanted him...but he needs to start somewhere. wisconsin has a huge o-line ...i think he will be better than brees.

#7 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

maybe cool out on the Brees comparisons until he at least does something on the field at the next level. They are both shorter than most qb's, that about it so far.

#8 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

Hope Russell does well in the pros but this was one of my WTF draft picks. The Cousins pick for the redskins was obviously much worse and extremely dumb, but they are very similar selections.

Seahawks just invested money in Matt Flynn to be the guy and a week ago announce that there is basically an open competition for the QB job. Not a big fan of Flynn to begin with, but teams should do things to make their investments successful.

Still don't know what the Skins were thinking. Worst pick in the entire draft IMHO. Even worse than the Pats selecting a 4th string rugby player. 2 bad games from RG3 and the whispers will start.

Competition is great for everyone involved, but the draft choices could of been better spent and these two particular players (Flynn,RG3) and expected to and are being paid to be the guy.

#9 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,718 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

maybe cool out on the Brees comparisons until he at least does something on the field at the next level. They are both shorter than most qb's, that about it so far.

And Russell was a better college QB than Brees...

FWIW I don't think Carroll was blowing smoke and I think that Wilson will start at some point this season unless Flynn is the 2nd coming of Aaron Rodgers..

Other than the 3 inches he lacks RW was the second best QB in this draft..He did it for a longer period at a higher level than RG3 IMO.

#10 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

Other than the 3 inches he lacks RW was the second best QB in this draft..He did it for a longer period at a higher level than RG3 IMO.

I would agree with this. However, circumstances beyond control of the individual athlete sometimes dictate whether a guy makes it or not. Size plays a big factor in the NFL and while I know Brees is around six feet, it basically took the Chargers drafting Rivers before the light went off.

Chris Leak is another example of a guy who was weeded out of the NFL due to size.

#11 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

staters i still find hilarious, as with their 2 pennies.

#12 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

miami prob gunna be pissed they passed on him. I wanted him...but he needs to start somewhere. wisconsin has a huge o-line ...i think he will be better than brees.

Yeah, if he doesnt win a super bowl and set the NFL record for passing yards in a season I would consider Russell Wilson a failure

#13 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

Flynn gets the first chance. However, they didn't give him a franchise QB type contract, so when he struggles, and I believe he will, they will give Russell his chance to start.

#14 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

how much was Flynn's contract? I thought he got paid big time but not sure

#15 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,669 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

Flynn: 3 years $26M $10M guaranteed. Not bad at all. Great deal if he plans out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com