• 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

http://www.cbssports...ting-notre-dame

Just found this.

"Texas AD admits to courting Notre Dame for B12"

also, this:

http://www.cbssports...-its-killing-it

Doyel knows his stuff, especially about the ACC. Good article on what FSU means to the ACC.

#77 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

I am not saying they absolutely won't move. If the payout increases to 6-8 million per school more than what the ACC is paying, then they would definitely have to consider a move. But the school administration has to look at many aspects that bloggers and sportswriters don't usually consider.

Miami and FSU both have top 10 classes coming in this year, consistently rated higher than any big 12 school save Texas. Both of them consistently have top 10 classes every year. So from a football perspective, its hard to see what they would gain by the move. If they are getting top 10 classes, and still getting beat by Wake, then its hard to see how a move to the big 12 would gain them anything. On the other hand, if they start playing better, then being in a weak ACC means they are going to be contenders just about every year.

I agree completely. I don't see the purpose in moving. I honestly don't see how the Big XII can even command a higher contract than the ACC. There are way more TV sets in the ACC footprint than there are in the Big XII footprint outside of the Texas schools.

#78 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

Resident Gator Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

FSU wants to leave, because they need $$. Granted, this is all assuming their payout increases significantly if they move to the Big XII, which most people seem to think it will.

People assume Clemson leaves, because it's been rumored that Clemson wants so badly to be in the SEC and the SEC doesn't seem to want them. The next best option is the Big XII if FSU goes to the Big XII. Clemson is a football school and the ACC is dying as a football conference. They are third-tier as far as team revenue.

#79 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,302 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

Fwiw, the payouts could easily change in a few years. 10-15 years ago, the ACC was top dog when it came to payouts per school. ACC schools were literally swimming in money. Things have changed, but if FSU and Miami stay and both return to national prominence, the ACC could be back near the top the next time contract negotiations come up. They would be just like the big 12 (a two school conference).

#80 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

Resident Gator Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

I think Miami returning to national prominence could certainly help the ACC, but I think a lot of people vastly overstate the fan base that FSU still has. Miami has fans everywhere, so they will always be a huge national TV draw. Florida State doesn't have half the fan base that Miami does.

#81 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

I think Miami returning to national prominence could certainly help the ACC, but I think a lot of people vastly overstate the fan base that FSU still has. Miami has fans everywhere, so they will always be a huge national TV draw. Florida State doesn't have half the fan base that Miami does.

Most of FSU's football fanbase is duke basketball fags.

#82 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Couple of things.

Rumor is the Big XII will pay for all travel dont know if I beleive that one or not.
As far BC going to Ivy league that was a joke and the rest is worst case scenerio for the ACC. dont see all that happening in the next couple of years. But if the other conferences go to 16 that would the most likely destinations for those teams. But FSU/ Clemson to BigXII is sounding more likely everyday and Rumors of GT (which I dont see happening anytime soon).

VTech and NC St have been rumored SEC next choices and If FSU and Clemson leave VT wont wait around they will leave as soon as they can. The rest is just domino effects Pitt already went through this once and wont do it again.

So far Rumored
FSU
Clemson
GT
VT
Miami
have had indirect contact with the Big XII. Miami right now is a poison pill with pending NCAA sanctions and Budget cuts to athletics.

#83 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

Resident Gator Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

I can understand, and would like, Virgina Tech becoming part of the SEC. I just can't see the SEC wanting to add NC State.

#84 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

I can understand, and would like, Virgina Tech becoming part of the SEC. I just can't see the SEC wanting to add NC State.

Expanded footprint for the SEC. NC market would be huge for them. But I honestly dont see SEC/BigTen/Pac12 expanding any time soon. They all seem happy where they are the only one that will be expanding this round is Big XII.

#85 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

Expanded footprint for the SEC. NC market would be huge for them. But I honestly dont see SEC/BigTen/Pac12 expanding any time soon. They all seem happy where they are the only one that will be expanding this round is Big XII.

I agree that the SEC would love to move into NC. But you're dreaming about NCSU. The SEC has a better chance of landing ECU than State.

#86 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

Couple of things.

Rumor is the Big XII will pay for all travel dont know if I beleive that one or not.
As far BC going to Ivy league that was a joke and the rest is worst case scenerio for the ACC. dont see all that happening in the next couple of years. But if the other conferences go to 16 that would the most likely destinations for those teams. But FSU/ Clemson to BigXII is sounding more likely everyday and Rumors of GT (which I dont see happening anytime soon).

VTech and NC St have been rumored SEC next choices and If FSU and Clemson leave VT wont wait around they will leave as soon as they can. The rest is just domino effects Pitt already went through this once and wont do it again.

So far Rumored
FSU
Clemson
GT
VT
Miami
have had indirect contact with the Big XII. Miami right now is a poison pill with pending NCAA sanctions and Budget cuts to athletics.

rumored from who? the only one I heard with some credibility was about FSU.

Can't wait for football to start so all this non sense will go away (just like the big east).

#87 beastnfools

beastnfools

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

FSU isn't going anywhere

#88 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

Clemson's BoT is meeting tomorrow to discuss realignment.

#89 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

Resident Gator Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

You guys act like just because a conference gets a team in the state, the whole state rides along and is a fan of that conference. That is not how it works at all. NC State has a loyal fan base, but it's a small fan base compared to teams they could grab from surrounding states.

#90 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,302 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Its a small fanbase relative to another team within the state.

I think if the SEC could get a team in North Carolina, they would want UNC. Ain't gonna happen, but it sure would be funny to hear the howls coming out of Clemson and FSU if it did. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.