Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone explain this to me.

33 posts in this topic

Posted

Wife had to get passport today...3 post offices later...one gov worker tried to turn her away for a NON-vital record birth certificate. Wife was smart enough to tell her how to do her job and point to the raised seal on the document.

Yeah...government...the epitome of efficiency.

Posted

You're not going to find many "working class joes" that are excited about the government taking ANY money.

Yeah, that's what I don't get. This dude was so concerned about taxing the rich, when he has no chance of being rich.

Kinda like the whole Joe sixpack dilemma.

Posted

I think my big problem with over-taxation of the rich is what gives the government (who didn't earn one cent of that fortune) the right to waste it.

The other problem with over taxing the upper class is that all to often these members of society dictate the costs of goods and services. To spare the economics lesson, we end up paying the upperclass's tax increase.

Posted

If you think "the rich" are paying a lot in taxes, you're not paying attention.

Posted

That depends on whether you mean rich as in income or rich as in accumulated wealth.

Posted

If you're main income is a paycheck, you ain't rich.

Posted

No, I don't think that. People scream "tax the rich", but they don't grasp what happens when that concept is applied. The "rich" hide their money in investments, charitable donations and lots of other tax deductions that brings their gross adjusted income down a tax bracket or 3. Even if we could get the "rich" to pay more, people like you and me would end up paying the increase in taxes because the "rich would force an increase to goods and services to recoup some of their lost earnings

This is why I believe in a flat tax.

Posted

If you're main income is a paycheck, you ain't rich.

That skirts my question. Income is income to the IRS whether its a paycheck or not.

My question was whether you meant income rich ( the way the government determines tax brackets) or accumulated wealth rich ( people who inherited large sums of money and have most of it tax sheltered ( the truly rich)

Posted

I think 100% flat tax is impractical. Like communism it looks great on paper.

Implementation would be extremely tough.

If anything, phase it in so as not to totally disrupt the system and put into shock. The main issue is the uber rich have a stranglehold on not just money but culture, power, politics and pretty much alot of other things. They won't just roll over. Thats left or right.

Posted

I think the biggest reason we don't have a flat tax is because a few non-profit organizations would go under due to the lack of donations.

Posted

Trust me. A being a single, childless non home owner in a decent tax bracket, I am well aware who bears the brunt.

Posted

That skirts my question. Income is income to the IRS whether its a paycheck or not.

My question was whether you meant income rich ( the way the government determines tax brackets) or accumulated wealth rich ( people who inherited large sums of money and have most of it tax sheltered ( the truly rich)

BS. Income is not income.

Trust me, I pay a much higher percentage on my yearly income, than Warren Buffet. At least double.