Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

g5jamz

Pelosi: Utterly Contemptible -Krauthammer

84 posts in this topic

Third: The Russians did not declare war against the Japanese until they knew that we had launched an atomic attack and the Japanese would not even put up token resistance against them.

i wouldn't call the resistance they faced token

read this for fun

and if you really think it was all about beating japan and keeping americans alive, why not just sit back and let the russian army do it? i mean hell it's not like the americans cared about russia. they let them get chewed alive by the weirmact while they took years to figure out how best to invade france.

If the Russians weren't a threat, why were we scrambling as fast as we could to get as many Nazi scientists as we could before the Russians could?

even better, why did we land in south korea immediately after russia approached the north?

ITS ALMOST AS IF THE FACTS DONT BACK UP THEIR ARGUMENTS

If the Russians weren't a threat, why were we scrambling as fast as we could to get as many Nazi scientists as we could before the Russians could?

Del, I never said the Russians weren't a threat. I just said the primary purpose for both bombs was to get Japan to crack. You don't drop the worst weapon ever conceived on one country to send a signal to someone else, especially when you don't know how many bombs like that you can make. We had all of those soldiers with their lives on the line....I'm going to give Truman the benefit of the doubt and say his primary concern was saving their lives by getting Japan to surrender.

true or false Meat: Japan was trying to surrender before the atomic bombs were dropped, but the stated reason we didn't accept was something we allowed them to keep in the end anyway.

Del, I never said the Russians weren't a threat. I just said the primary purpose for both bombs was to get Japan to crack. You don't drop the worst weapon ever conceived on one country to send a signal to someone else, especially when you don't know how many bombs like that you can make. We had all of those soldiers with their lives on the line....I'm going to give Truman the benefit of the doubt and say his primary concern was saving their lives by getting Japan to surrender.

Like I just mentioned about the two bombs. They had just enough U235 and Little Boy had not been tested.

In the link on Bush, he and Truman actually envisoned shared technology...with RUSSIA AFTER the A bombs.

MY GOD THE JAPANESE EMPEROR IS AN ABSOLUTE MANIAC WHOS GOING TO KILL MILLIONS AND HAVE ALL THE CHILDREN BLOW THEMSELVES UP WITH GRENADES WE HAVE TO KILL THEM TO SAVE THEM

/drops nukes

Why, no, we're not going to prosecute the japanese emperor or remove him from power, why do you ask?

true or false Meat: Japan was trying to surrender before the atomic bombs were dropped, but the stated reason we didn't accept was something we allowed them to keep in the end anyway.

Okay, just say it Fiz....you believe the U.S. government vaporized all of those people just to flex its muscle to the rest of the world. Truman is a psychopath who wanted women and children to die.

Fiz you are being a little overdramatic.

At this point in the war Americans were very, very sick of it and just. wanted. it. over. They were horrified at the casualties being reported from Iwo and Okinawa. The war was incredibly expensive to fight, and there was an active movement in the US to settle the war without all the unconditional surrender stuff - an American invasion of the Home Islands would have been a bad thing for domestic politics, as well as for the military. In that regard, the atomic bomb was the savior of many thousands, hundreds of thousands, of American lives - and yes, it did end up costing a lot less Japanese lives than defending Japan to the last man would have been.

Russia played into the decision to drop the 2nd weapon so soon, that seems pretty clear to me, as there was no real reason to drop another one that quickly. But the main purpose was to try anything to end the war for the US.

PS When it was known that the government was going to accept terms, there was a revolt among a lot of the top Japanese commanders that was narrowly put down. There was a decent chance that we would have had to keep going after them with bombs, and I suspect that we would have kept doing it until there was nothing left to invade.

The reason we let the Emperor stay in "power" is so that we could impart martial law easily and effectively. Unlike, say, Iraq.

The reason we let the Emperor stay in "power" is so that we could impart martial law easily and effectively. Unlike, say, Iraq.

i thought another reason was so to avoid a post ww1 scenario with a vacuum of power

i thought another reason was so to avoid a post ww1 scenario with a vacuum of power

and meaningless/toothless peace treaties that no world concensus wants to uphold.