94 replies to this topic

#16 Panther17

Panther17

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

JR and Hurney are cap "gods" there is no reason to worry about something that is still a little ways down the road.

They will figure something out.

I read what you wrote and think breezing2anothersb.

It's not worth worrying about. Either it will get done or it won't. Either way, Cam won't be going anywhere if he continues to shine.

#17 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

I think Stew will stay. Assuming Otah doesn't pan out this year, we will be free from his cap hits. I could see Dwill restructuring his contract (I believe the majority of his contract was front loaded anyway). Gross would also probably restructure.

At this point we have plenty of star power on this team and letting them go into FA so we can replace them with other FAs is just silly. There are too many factors involved when relying on incoming FAs and it completely goes against Rivera's philosophies of forcing players to work for their spots (any high priced FA is going to practically be handed their spot). Also with our FA history, even the good pickups only last for 2-3 years.

Keep drafting to find star players, trade the ones we don't need, use FA to fill in the gaps.

#18 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,534 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

It's not worth worrying about. Either it will get done or it won't. Either way, Cam won't be going anywhere if he continues to shine.

Lol, well he has a bunch of poo to worry about, that organization is spiraling downwards fast.

#19 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

In regards to Cam's contract, you gotta remember that some of our higher paid players just won't be competing at the same level they are now, or when they got their contract. Smith will be like 35, Gross will def be on the decline and his massive contract will probably be up, Beason will be at an age where asking him to take a little less probably won't be an issue, Gamble will be getting up there.

Even with all that, Cam's contract will cause some casualties. If all goes the way it should, he'll probably be the highest paid player in NFL history.

#20 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,776 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

the problem with them is that that particular organization has shown a total disregard for the rules and has done whatever it can to circumvent them. the panthers FO is a lot more responsible, even with their supposed irrational and irresponsible signings last year. call it being naive, but i think they have a clue what they're doing.

#21 panthers34

panthers34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

how great would it be if we could lock up a 6 year deal with him

#22 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,279 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

Him wanting to be here means little.....of course he wants to be here.

Stewart wants to get paid. That is the issue.

#23 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

Even if we just so happened to be in cap hell when Newton's contract was about to expire, I 100% guarantee you a good portion of our team would be willing to restructure to make sure he remained.

And to be honest, I don't get the vibe that Newton is going to ask for THAT much money. I mean, he is going to get his, definitely. But with all of the sponsors he has, I don't think he'll be looking for as much as Peyton or Brees have/are.

#24 Spaceballs83

Spaceballs83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

Mass suicides would sweep across NC/SC if Panthers couldn't resign newton.

#25 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

Facts:
  • Newton will get his long-term contract with the Panthers when the time comes
  • Neither Newton, nor Stewart, nor any other player is going to give a significant "home town discount". This is an overused phrase that does not reflect the reality of the business
  • MH has a plan. It may not be the plan everyone agrees with, but don't think he hasn't thought through all these scenarios
  • Otah's cap hit, whether we keep him or cut him, will have little impact on the team
  • DWill's and CJ's contracts were not front-loaded. Just because we paid a lot of cash up front, that does not make it front-loaded. The bonus is still spread out over the life of the contract. A front-loaded contract is characterized by high salaries in the early years, and lower salaries toward the end. Paying a big bonus up front affects cash flow for the owner, nothing more.

#26 KittyLover

KittyLover

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

Didn't we offer Peppers the largest contract at that time and he just turned it down? (Or something close to it) It's not like we aren't willing to shell it out when it counts. Hopefully when it's time to renew Cam's contract we can make him the highest paid player in the league if things stay on track. Only worry would be Cam not wanting to be here and I don't see that happening.

#27 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

Cam Newton will get his comtract from the Panthers. It will also be the biggest contract signed at the time, for a qb.

people need to stop worrying about cam getting paid.

#28 Craigslist Killer

Craigslist Killer

I love me some hookers

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Dwill restructured his contract to keep Stewart

#29 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

shitpost around the clock

• HUDDLER
  • 9,547 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

Didn't we offer Peppers the largest contract at that time and he just turned it down? (Or something close to it) It's not like we aren't willing to shell it out when it counts. Hopefully when it's time to renew Cam's contract we can make him the highest paid player in the league if things stay on track. Only worry would be Cam not wanting to be here and I don't see that happening.

yeah hurney tried his ass off to keep peppers on this team. peppers/his agent destroyed his trade value with the poo they pulled (the mysterious list of four teams that he would be willing to accept a trade to, wanting to play a new position, refusing to sign his tender so he could be traded in the first place, etc.) and it irks me to this day when people try to bust hurney's balls over that scenario.

#30 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,019 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

yeah hurney tried his ass off to keep peppers on this team. peppers/his agent destroyed his trade value with the poo they pulled (the mysterious list of four teams that he would be willing to accept a trade to, wanting to play a new position, refusing to sign his tender so he could be traded in the first place, etc.) and it irks me to this day when people try to bust hurney's balls over that scenario.

Hurney called Pep's bluff, and lost. It's that simple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.