Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any runners on here? I'm in need of some help.

50 posts in this topic

Posted

I've read lately that the "experts" say you don't need to stretch before you run...that doing it after is more important....

but I definitely stretch before..I personally feel it warms everything up before the pounding I'm about to take :)

Posted

also go to Omega sports or 4runners only- or any store that specializes in running shoes. You DO NOT need to necessarily buy the shoes there but have them test your gate to see if you are neutral, pronate, or supinate. This way you can identify the kind of running shoe you need. You can then buy them on the internet web.

Also develop a schedule- have a target mileage for each week and alternate how much you run each day so your body has time to recover- you SHOULD have at least one long run each week that accounts for about 15-20% of total weekly mileage.

So stretch (before and after runs), go get fitted for shoes, and develop a schedule.

Posted

I've read lately that the "experts" say you don't need to stretch before you run...that doing it after is more important....

but I definitely stretch before..I personally feel it warms everything up before the pounding I'm about to take :)

Too easy. :P

That's what I've read too, to not stretch before, but I do the same thing. I just go very lightly, loosens things up. After the run is when I really do the serious stretching.

Posted

I made it easy ...duh!

Posted

I know! Duh!

Posted

I've always had this issue. My solution was to stop running.

Posted

Before I lost weight, it hurt to run...are ya'll big fat fatties??

j/k :)

but seriously..changing my stride and losing weight made all the difference in the world

Posted

stop running and start napping

Posted

I used to get shinsplints so I stopped running.

Over the past few months, I've slowly started getting back into it. I do a moderate to intense warm-up, then stretch before running. I also stretch after. Getting blood flowing to the muscles before stretching seems to help a good bit; but you'll already be pooped before starting your run. Helps with breathing, I suppose.

Posted

Your hat might be on too tight.

Posted

If they are shin splints, try walking on your heels with your toes pointed upward for 30 seconds before each run. Shin splints absolutely debilitate me when I get them, and I run a lot - so it isn't just a new runner thing.

Also, shoes are really important too. If you are trying to really get into running, you are going to have to spend a bit on good shoes. Run for your life is a great place to go, as mentioned. I have the Nike+ Lunarlite and Flywire shoes that I rotate between and they have been the best shoes I have ever run with.

Posted

Running, how I loathe you. Sadly it's part of the training I do for squash - treadmill, rower, bike. Plus circuits, but that's another discussion.

I find the best way is to do some light jogging then stop to do your full stretches. Then run. You shouldn't stretch when your muscles are cold, but I find I'm less stiff the next day if I do stretches before and after the intense stuff happens.

As for the pounding comment - the rest of my afternoon is now lost.