#1 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,048 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

We obviously are making special teams a big emphasis in 2012. First of all, when we looked at bringing in guys on offense and defense we also evaluated how they would contribute on special teams as well.e have brought in guys not only for their play on defense or offense but also with an emphasis on special teams. Tolbert, Nakamura, Onatolu and Smith all were brought in for both their ability to improve the offense and defense but also because they were special team standouts. We also are getting back guys like Barnidge who went on IR last year and were missed on special teams especially.

Then when you consider that we brought in a number of special teams guys like Joe Adams, Brad Nortman, Justin Medlock and Nick Harris to provide competition for the guys who were here last year, it is clear that there are going to be a number of contested positions on special teams this year.

In addition to the players, we have also helped Murphy by adding an assistant special teams coach Richard Rodgers who coaches special teams in college.

Here is an article on Panthers.com discussing this......

http://www.panthers....20-61cfa1b9e8a6

#2 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

The only thing in my mind that's disconcerting is that it's taken so long.

#3 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,199 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

coverage and return units should be MUCH better.

punting should be improved.

FGs and XPs should be better as well. at least we have competition there. i'm pulling for the dude we got from the CFL.

#4 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

SeƱor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

I think they have to be better. Not an extremely high bar set last season.

#5 taylor87

taylor87

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

I am encouraged however we had the same problem the year before. Concerns me that with all the cap space after the lock out that neither Hurney not Riveria addressed it in any way. Glad they are now!

#6 GRWatcher

GRWatcher

visiting from Kepler-186f

• HUDDLER
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationStatesville

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

lmao!! Special Teams "have been getting better" since 1996. I'd say we've only had 1 good ST year since then, our Super Bowl year.

I'm an optimist but I'll believe it when I see it.

#7 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

Our ST will most certainly be better than last years ST... not a very hard prediction though

#8 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

It better be we spent all our most of our offseason money on it.

#9 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

I still think we should bite the bullet and cut Mare this year. Even with the bonus accelerating, we would save about $600,000 on this year's cap. Yes, we would still be on the hook for another $1.5 million in bonus for next year, but considering he is due to make well over $2,000,000 in 2013, that doesn't look so bad.

It just doesn't seem to make sense to be on the hook for over $3,000,000 each year for the next 3 years for a kicker. Our offense is not the John Fox offense. We are a high scoring team that relies much less on field goals than past squads. Even if a cheaper kicker performs slightly worse than Mare (and that is highly debatable), that money could be better spent elsewhere.

A premier placekicker is a luxury that this offense can do without in my opinion, especially with the new kickoff placement.

#10 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

Every thing Rivera/Hurney has done seems night and day vs. what we had under Fox/Hurney. I love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com