• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#91 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

I know this will be ignored but I have to say this.

Griffin is not that good of a runner. That is why Newton, in college, had many more big runs than Griffin had and even in the pros, Newton churned out more big runs. Griffin has excellent straight line speed and sure, if he is in front of you, you probably won't catch him. But change of direction wise? Newton has him beat in that by miles. That is why Newton, who only runs a 4.59 40, is so damn hard to stop. His change of direction is sickening for a man his size. That is why Luck isn't going to do anything on the ground either despite his impressive 40. He isn't agile. He is stiff. I'm not saying Griffin is stiff. But his COD isn't like Newton's or anything close to Vick's. So yeah, maybe he does run a fast 40. But he isn't close to Newton or Vick as runners.

This isn't me dissing on RG3. I like him quite a bit. But he isn't as good of a runner as people make him out to be. He just has straight line speed. But you don't escape the pocket by running in a straight line. That is why some guys who are fast end up not doing anything - their COD stinks. If it was just as simple as running fast in a straight line, Rodgers would be a much better runner than he is but alas. While he is solid on the ground, his COD limits him from being anything like Newton or Vick.

Heck, don't believe me? Peyton Manning ran a 4.8 40. Enough said. He was a statue in the pocket; never a threat on the ground (albeit 4.8 isn't that fast, he still never had any impact running wise and was visibly slow). Change of Direction/Agility is so overlooked by people. Griffin doesn't have the COD Newton has. Newton is a more impressive athlete.

#92 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

As for him being an athlete we've never seen before? LOL.

Michael Vick was by far a better athlete. Some people really forget just how athletic he was. Hell, even at his age now, he is still a hell of a lot more athletic than most guys in the NFL right now. Dude was a freak.

#93 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,505 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

rg3 may be fast but I bet he can't do this

he'll try to change direction and get popped and likely will get hurt because he is a skinny ass

#94 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,052 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

...and while we're at it, the Skins have already had a player who could have easily been an Olympian if that's what he had chosen to do. His name was Darrell Green and he owned T&F in Texas and still holds a few records. He also beat Carl Lewis (9 time Olympic gold medalist) on at least one occasion.

This is the problem with hyperbole, it quickly and conveniently forgets the past.

#95 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

Andrew Luck had a faster 3 cone drill than Cam Newton......so he's far from stiff since the whole point of the drill is to measure change of direction and flexibility.

#96 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

rg3 may be fast but I bet he can't do this

he'll try to change direction and get popped and likely will get hurt because he is a skinny ass

Dude, he's 6'2" 220....the size of most NFL running backs. Think a little..

#97 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,052 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

Get back to me about RG3 being a better athlete than Cam when you have tape of RG3 doing this in a regular season NFL game:

P.S. That's a 6'6" 260 lb man making several world-class athletes look foolish.

#98 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,602 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

Dude, he's 6'2" 220....the size of most NFL running backs. Think a little..

you got the weight right, but 6'2 is actually a bit tall for an RB.

in fact it's hard to find many RBs over 6' anymore.

#99 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,052 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

you got the weight right, but 6'2 is actually a bit tall for an RB.

in fact it's hard to find many RBs over 6' anymore.

Yeah, 220 spread over a 6'2" frame doesn't work quite the same as 220 spread over a 5'10" frame. LOL

#100 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,052 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Another former Redskin...

To win the state 100-meter titles his sophomore and junior years, Stephen Davis had to beat Gaffney's Tim Montgomery, who later would own the world record in that event. His senior year, Davis again won, this time in a time of 10.28, but meet officials declared the sprint as "wind-aided," and it was not recognized as a record.

"I told the track official that it was wind-aided because that guy weighing 230 pounds ran by your machine so fast," Owings said.

So to recap, Davis beat Tim Montgomery (2x Olympic athlete) in a 100 meter dash and nearly set a state record at 230 lbs.

The NFL is littered with former T&F studs who would have re-written the Olympic record book had they chosen to go down that path... so welcome to the club RG3.

#101 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• HUDDLER
  • 9,812 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

Get back to me about RG3 being a better athlete than Cam when you have tape of RG3 doing this in a regular season NFL game:

That's a 6'6" 260 lb man making several world-class athletes look foolish.

he has that dude just grabbing at air around :07 - :08. i always loved that part.

#102 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

There are no comparisons. Robert Griffin III will present a combination of skill and intelligence that the NFL has never seen before. Remember: Hard work beats talent every time. But if you work hard and you're talented, it's hard to be beat.

#103 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• HUDDLER
  • 9,812 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

There are no comparisons. Robert Griffin III will present a combination of skill and intelligence that the NFL has never seen before. Remember: Hard work beats talent every time. But if you work hard and you're talented, it's hard to be beat.

yeah, there really is no comparison. it's true in the opposite way you perceive however.

anybody who has compiled a stat in a real NFL game is currently a better NFL quarterback than robert griffin by his own admission (http://dc.sbnation.c...w-luck-redskins). jimmy clausen is a better NFL quarterback than robert griffin right now.

also i don't know what you're getting at with the "hard work vs. talent" dichotomy you're trying to set up here. we saw both facets at work when one cameron newton learned to run an NFL offense in six weeks with no OTAs and proceeded to smash records. we know what talent that works hard looks like in carolina.

#104 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

Guess we'll see at the end of the season. I've already placed bets that RG3 will win more games then Cam did in his rookie season. I also have a bet with someone here that the Redskins will beat Carolina this year so i'm confident and willing to backup my statements.

#105 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• HUDDLER
  • 9,812 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

the redskins winning more than 6 games is a bet i'd take easy. griffin won't lose games for them and they have a good enough defense to hang in there if their offense is struggling.

4700 total yards and 35 TDs though? i'd be blown away if he sniffs it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com