Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Confederate Flag- Why do people fly it today?

• Please log in to reply
331 replies to this topic

#16 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,232 posts
  • LocationRichardson's toilet

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

People didn't want to lose their land/property. Slavery was the Weapons of Mass distruction for the north. It is a good outcome that slavery was abolished but that wasn't what the south was fighting against.

#17 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

In President Lincoln's first inaugural address, he said, "I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so."

During the war, in an 1862 letter to the New York Daily Tribune editor Horace Greeley, Lincoln said, "My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and it is not either to save or destroy slavery." A recent article by Baltimore's Loyola College Professor Thomas DiLorenzo titled "The Great Centralizer," in The Independent Review (Fall 1998), cites quotation after quotation of similar northern sentiment about slavery.

Lincoln's intentions, as well as that of many northern politicians, were summarized by Stephen Douglas during the presidential debates. Douglas accused Lincoln of wanting to "impose on the nation a uniformity of local laws and institutions and a moral homogeneity dictated by the central government" that "place at defiance the intentions of the republic's founders."

#18 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

People didn't want to lose their land/property. Slavery was the Weapons of Mass distruction for the north. It is a good outcome that slavery was abolished but that wasn't what the south was fighting against.

Don't you know slaves were property. Let's not also forget the 3/5s compromise. The only time the South saw slaves as completely human, was during election time. Also, the Missouri compromise, where the North and South argued whether Missouri would be a slave state or not. The Civil War had everything to do with slavery, if you saw the slaves as the South saw them. Property. Slavery was also the main engine that empowered the South's economy. If it wasn't, why in the world did they have slaves to begin with?

#19 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

Like BB said, it's good that slavery was abolished, and given time it would likely have fizzled out in the south as well. But don't let your own ignorance allow you pass judgment on others ignorance. Read up on your history before you start bashing others for poo that you don't really know anything about.

#20 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

In President Lincoln's first inaugural address, he said, "I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so."

During the war, in an 1862 letter to the New York Daily Tribune editor Horace Greeley, Lincoln said, "My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and it is not either to save or destroy slavery." A recent article by Baltimore's Loyola College Professor Thomas DiLorenzo titled "The Great Centralizer," in The Independent Review (Fall 1998), cites quotation after quotation of similar northern sentiment about slavery.

Lincoln's intentions, as well as that of many northern politicians, were summarized by Stephen Douglas during the presidential debates. Douglas accused Lincoln of wanting to "impose on the nation a uniformity of local laws and institutions and a moral homogeneity dictated by the central government" that "place at defiance the intentions of the republic's founders."

Lincoln's thoughts are irrelevant concerning the start of the war. The South didn't go to war against Lincoln himself, but against the North, which didn't have slaves and whose economy didn't depend on slaves.

#21 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

Let me ask this question. Do yall think that those who wear the confederate flag, are sad that the Confederacy lost the war?

#22 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

I actually think its kind of cool looking. Its a beautiful flag no doubt. I don't have one at the moment but i had one hanging in my room when i was younger. My people fought for it, one was killed in battle and my older brother has the family sword. We never surrendered it.

Also, It looks good as a bikini on a bangin chick. :)

#23 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:25 PM

The south didn't go to war with the north. The north went to war with the south. The south declared independence and Lincoln decided to deny them that right.

#24 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

South fired the 1st shots. No way in hell could Abe win enough support to go to war. He needed the south to start some sh!t and they did. I've always wondered how history would have played out if the South never would have fired on Fort Sumter.

#25 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

South fired the 1st shots. No way in hell could Abe win enough support to go to war. He needed the south to start some sh!t and they did. I've always wondered how history would have played out if the South never would have fired on Fort Sumter.

I imagine at best, we would be like North Korea and South Korea is today. At worst, small wars would erupt between the two as time progress, then Britian would see this as a time for payback for the Revolutionary War, and they come and finish us off while we are busy killing each other.

The South really did rebel against the nation that was founded, and that is the true heritage of the Confederate Flag.

#26 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

They fired because Abe wasn't going to allow them to succeed.

#27 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,323 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

The civil war boils down to states rights vs federal rights, the federal government won and our constitution has been shitpaper ever since.

States rights to own slaves?

#28 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,767 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

I have an old flag that most wouldn't recognize as a CSA flag...definately not the stars/bars that is usually associated with hate groups. I don't fly it...I just own it and it's in a container somewhere. I think it'd be cool to own a real NC regiment flag as I had relatives that fought in the Civil War from NC. Also had relatives that fought in the revolutionary war as well.

I think a lot of people that openly wear the flag are doing it to be confrontational. I look at a reenactment and I see a historical event taking place and recognize it for what it is. Do I wish the South had won? No. I wish it had never taken place and the issue resolve itself without the death of >600,000 Americans. So when I hear that this country hasn't done enough to change it's ways...besides the hurdles over idiots along the way (Jim Crow)...I call BS. 600,000 men and their families would argue otherwise.

#29 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

States rights to own slaves?

It wasn't about slavery, that was only a minor issue.

#30 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

I don't own any flag and I would never fly one, mainly because of people assuming that it's a racist symbol, when it isn't.

I don't have illusions though about a lot of people flying it because of racism. There are racist and stupid people everywhere, south and north included.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com