Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darth Biscuit

Huddle Workout Warriors

3,981 posts in this topic

So, to try to get over a plateau, I switched from barbells to dumbells on the flat bench for 4 weeks.  Came back to barbell press last night and got a 185x5 set in on my third set.

plateau = busted

Nice!

Dumbbells are an excellent way to do this.  They work a lot of the smaller stabilizer muscles that you use for balance while still using the larger muscles as well.

1 person likes this

My god I'm so hungry when I wake up if I skipped breakfast I would die.

I use to never eat breakfast. but now days I dont think i can handle it. 

I use to never work out and eat almost nothing. Now I work out and eat all the time. I wish I had the will power to cut out about 300 cals a day from what I typically take in.

Soooo I started getting back into it Monday night.

I'm starting slow with http://www.amazon.com/Your-Shape-Fitness-Evolved-2012-Xbox/dp/B0050SYUAS

I know I know it's not all that.  But if I can stick with it for a couple months I will have programed a good habit and will start considering XFit or a gym membership.

My bro got me the XBOX one for Christmas. I used the fitness app and did an insanity work out, it was awesome. though the XBOX was way off on my heart rate.

I use to never eat breakfast. but now days I dont think i can handle it. 

I use to never work out and eat almost nothing. Now I work out and eat all the time. I wish I had the will power to cut out about 300 cals a day from what I typically take in.

When I'm lifting, which is really all the time now, I'm so hungry it's crazy.  I try not to eat late at night so by the time I wake up, I'm starving.

1 person likes this

Nice!

Dumbbells are an excellent way to do this.  They work a lot of the smaller stabilizer muscles that you use for balance while still using the larger muscles as well.

You also get that stretch at the bottom of the movement that makes it feel like you're really working your pecs.  With the barbell, most of the stress seems to end up on my front delts.

You also get that stretch at the bottom of the movement that makes it feel like you're really working your pecs.  With the barbell, most of the stress seems to end up on my front delts.

That doesn't bother me too bad on the flat bench...  I've recently switched to a more power lifting type of press, keeping my elbows in a little more, but I get a stretch on my pecs either way I do it.  I've been doing more incline dumbbells than flat dumbbells for two reasons...  it's harder to lay down with the dumbbells now that I'm up fairly heavy (I usually start with 75s and do four or five sets up to the 110s), and the way our gym is setup now, it's so crowded in the dumbbell area, I'm scared some asshole is going to knock one out of my hand onto my face.

With incline dumbbells, and I keep the incline fairly low, like the second notch on the bench which is probably like 20* or so... and I can kick the dumbbells up with my knees and it's easier on my shoulders...

I went pretty hard on squats for the first time in a while on Monday.

Now I feel like an idiot at work, because I'm walking so funny down the hall.

Quads are quite tender.

3 people like this

I went pretty hard on squats for the first time in a while on Monday.

Now I feel like an idiot at work, because I'm walking so funny down the hall.

Quads are quite tender.

Haha, that's awesome...  I did a new leg machine last week, works more hams/glutes and I didn't want to sit down or stand up the next day.  That sucks.

Haha, that's awesome...  I did a new leg machine last week, works more hams/glutes and I didn't want to sit down or stand up the next day.  That sucks.

I kind of see it as a badge of honor when I have a muscle group that sore. But man is it painful.

1 person likes this

It gets better.

So much better in fact, that you wonder if you worked out hard enough because you just aren't very sore the next day.

2 people like this