Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cam Newton one of NFC's most Overrated Players

113 posts in this topic

Posted

so, would the author be considered one of those delusional Cam haters I've read so much about?

Posted

i'm sure a 6'6" quarterback that runs a 4.9 40 with a cannon for an arm and possesses an obsessive work ethic would have struggled any other season.

This impacted Newton as much as anyone, as he threw for 374 or more yards in three of his first four games. Once defenses started to get up to speed, however, Newton wasn't close to as effective a passer, throwing for 208 or fewer yards in five of his last six games.

oh look, it's this old chestnut again.

first four games: 163 passes attempted, avg. 40.75 attempts/game

last six: 152 passes attempted, avg. 25.3333 attempts/game

15 less pass attempts on average using the parameters the author pointed out. i'd call it a change in offensive philosophy rather than defenses "catching up".

3 people like this

Posted

What wasn't true then?

just off the top of my head...the floater to smith over Peterson in week 1.....and the touch pass to olsen down the seam vs. the Vikings...how bout the LaFell TD vs. Green Bay....i'll keep going if u want

Posted

I didn't think it was a big surprise that he is not the most accurate or touch type passer at this stage in his career.

Posted

just off the top of my head...the floater to smith over Peterson in week 1.....and the touch pass to olsen down the seam vs. the Vikings...how bout the LaFell TD vs. Green Bay....i'll keep going if u want

Yes please continue

The Smith throw was short and behind him, the LaFell throw was short and behind him, the Olsen throw was the only one right on the money. You're not helping your case.

Posted

In all these "Cam threw for less yards toward the end of the season" articles or blogs or wherever they come from everyone fails to mention at the first of the season everyone stacked the box because they did not think he could throw well enough. After he lit up Arizona and Green Bay and Chicago teams stoped doing that. So we ran more. He did not throw for as many yards because he did not have to.

Posted

The truth is somewhere between the hype and the haters.

Posted

Good read

Posted

"If youll look at our method for rankings QBs that literally no other sports site/media/outlet/blog/forum has deemed as credible despite our shoving it down your threats for two years, you'll see that as a rookie Cam Newton finished right in the middle of the pack"

Posted

Yes please continue

because i actually watched the games

deep pass to lafell vs. Washington

Just about every throw to Smith vs. Chicago

floater to olsen vs. green bay

theres a few more....i mean how much more "touch" do you want? I'll take the play making ability and the rocket arm and the occasional touch pass

Posted

the lynchpin of his argument is erroneous.

Posted

because i actually watched the games

deep pass to lafell vs. Washington

Just about every throw to Smith vs. Chicago

floater to olsen vs. green bay

theres a few more....i mean how much more "touch" do you want? I'll take the play making ability and the rocket arm and the occasional touch pass

perfect pass dropped to smith in front of two defenders against washington

1 person likes this