Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pennsylvania Republican Mike Turzai explains the goal of his state's Voter ID laws for us

85 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm sure if democrats/republicans really want their voters out there, that financial aid to help purchase photo IDs would/should be done.

Posted

i had a car stolen years ago and there was a checkbook in it. of course the jackasses used the checks and jacked up my accts.

they took one to a grocery store where they knew a cashier. bought some stuff and got 300 back in cash. no id. no nothing.

i call their corporate office and went ballistic on them about how that was such a sham. they changed their policy after realizing it was seriously flawed.

a week later in line at same store chain a woman was asked for an id when she wrote a check. of course she was offended and then i gave her a quick story on why they were doing it and she goes ooooh. i see.

Posted

I thank people when they ask to see my Visa card or id. My cards have my pic on them.

Posted

There those big government lovers go, forcing people to buy something just so they can exercise their constitutionally protected rights. They just love raising taxes

Posted

There those big government lovers go, forcing people to buy something just so they can exercise their constitutionally protected rights. They just love raising taxes

We are talking about an ID, not $5 trillion in new healthcare taxes. Just include an ID program in Obama care. That way it's "free". Right?

Posted

Aparently, government mandates to purchase things are now legal, so all we need is a government mandate to purchase a Photo ID, and the problem is solved.

Also, I don't know about all the states, but I know the proposed NC law would have provided them free of charge. Still wans't good enough for those that oppose it.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm fine with it either way, it is a bit excessive (for those with multiple forms of existing ID) but its 2012, you should have some form of ID with your picture on it

Posted

Your voting right is constitutionally protected, BUT the rules to vote are set by your state. Nothing "prevents" anyone from voting.

Posted

I'm giving this from an African-American perspective (not saying its right, but I do want to give that side too)

The ID laws reminds many of us of oppression, in particular for when we were largely prevented to vote (even up until the 60s). This ID law most likely elicit those feelings, hence the staunch opposition from African Americans. Lots of people (especially the older ones) don't have IDs (as many tie them into driver licenses).

What I feel this ID law thing supports is that everyone's vote counts equally, as if they decide elections. In very, very rare cases, I feel the vote (especially on a national scale) gets that close, to the point where fraudulent votes can alter the election. The law can make sure every election is as equal and fair as possible, not allowing those to vote who use these fraud IDs.

Two things I wonder though: 1) counterfeit IDs are made all the time. What safeguards will be in place to prevent the use of those IDs to vote? What's stopping someone from using those IDs to vote, if they're also using it for alcohol, tobacco, and other things?

2) Wouldn't this force people to buy IDs? It seems like you're effectively charging people a tax (the ID fee) in order to vote.

Posted

NC would provide free IDs. Most states that have the laws have written into law that the state would provide these free of charge. To avoid any semblance of being construed as a poll tax.

Posted

@tarheelpride

There was a new precedent set last week on taxes, so a $1 ID card tax wouldn't matter much. I can't speak to an African-American's viewpoint because I'm white and can't point to a history of oppression. I won't pretend to act like I know what's best. However, here is an article written by an African American that speaks to some of your points.

http://m.townhall.com/columnists/demetriusminor/2012/07/06/voter_id_yes_its_necessary

Posted

I thank people when they ask to see my Visa card or id.

I do the same.