Photo
- - - - -

Stephen Davis already experiencing memory loss

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#61 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

Dey Hate Us Because They Aint Us!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

This is why Robot Boxing will be the biggest sport in 2021....im from the future.

#62 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

HUDDLER

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

In my opinion I think that...hey what were we talking about?

#63 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

HUDDLER

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

These NFL players should ask how rough it is for a rugby player.

Seriously.

#64 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

HUDDLER

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

These NFL players should ask how rough it is for a rugby player.

Seriously.

Rugby players take significantly fewer shots to the head. Because nobody is stupid enough to tackle with their head if they aren't wearing a helmet.

#65 Vampire the buffet slayer

Vampire the buffet slayer

Fat Alice's Dietitian

HUDDLER

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Davis, 38, told Nathan Fenno of the Washington Times he’s having trouble remembering conversations with his wife or paying bills.

If forgetting what my wife says and not remembering to pay bills are the results of concussions then I must be Dan Morgan.

#66 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

HUDDLER

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

I agree that the players should accept more responsibility for their health, but does anyone remember the backlash Jay Cutler received when he sat out a playoff game injured?

#67 weymouthst

weymouthst

#1 zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

except it's only been recently that the long term effects have been studied. it's only recently that they've found what kind of impact those injuries are having on the brain.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to deduce that getting knocked repeatedly in the dome is bad for you.

#68 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

Dey Hate Us Because They Aint Us!

HUDDLER

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

Davis, 38, told Nathan Fenno of the Washington Times he’s having trouble remembering conversations with his wife or paying bills.

If forgetting what my wife says and not remembering to pay bills are the results of concussions then I must be Dan Morgan.

I told my student loans that because of being hit excessively on madden, I will have to defer my payments...possible simulated concussion syndrome

#69 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

HUDDLER

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

Priest Holmes saw different colored skies sometimes.

I feel bad for Davis and the rest of the guys of that era. They were just ignorant warriors. Guys coming through today will get less sympathy years from now.

#70 GRWatcher

GRWatcher

visiting from Kepler-186f

HUDDLER

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

I believe that all NFL Players have a medical plan, if so...there medical coverages through the NFL, should cover the injuries. This plan should work much like the medical plans many of us has on our jobs.

They are covered under the team's plan while playing. If they played for more than 3 years, recent era players have a retirement plan but I don't think it covers medical. Older former players do not have the same level of retirement pay. How would you like to pay $2000-3000 per month for medical coverage with a high deductible just for you, not your family, because you played pro football? I heard once that is the amount charged the retired players by insurers.

I agree that the players should accept more responsibility for their health, but does anyone remember the backlash Jay Cutler received when he sat out a playoff game injured?

Or the year long criticism of Rothlesberger by Hines Ward just a few years ago?

Priest Holmes saw different colored skies sometimes.

I feel bad for Davis and the rest of the guys of that era. They were just ignorant warriors. Guys coming through today will get less sympathy years from now.

I support this lawsuit. Most of these players were in leather or thin plastic helmets with little padding. And were 'encouraged' to return to the game. Most team doctors back then couldn't spell concussion let alone know the symptoms to look for. If there was scholarly knowledge back then, it took the NFL way too long to implement any safety precautions. Then the amount of money provided the retirees for treatment was meager and fought the whole way.

LP is correct about what a lawsuit does to business cultures. And the larger the group bringing the suit, the better. That is what Davis has done. Added his name.

He's only 38 years old. 38! Not 70 or 80. And knows this will happen sooner rather than later:

there isn’t no telling what day I’ll forget everything

#71 rico6

rico6

Shit.

HUDDLER

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

lol "forgets to pay bills"

join the club

#72 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

HUDDLER

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

They are covered under the team's plan while playing. If they played for more than 3 years, recent era players have a retirement plan but I don't think it covers medical. Older former players do not have the same level of retirement pay. How would you like to pay $2000-3000 per month for medical coverage with a high deductible just for you, not your family, because you played pro football? I heard once that is the amount charged the retired players by insurers.

Or the year long criticism of Rothlesberger by Hines Ward just a few years ago?

I support this lawsuit. Most of these players were in leather or thin plastic helmets with little padding. And were 'encouraged' to return to the game. Most team doctors back then couldn't spell concussion let alone know the symptoms to look for. If there was scholarly knowledge back then, it took the NFL way too long to implement any safety precautions. Then the amount of money provided the retirees for treatment was meager and fought the whole way.

LP is correct about what a lawsuit does to business cultures. And the larger the group bringing the suit, the better. That is what Davis has done. Added his name.

He's only 38 years old. 38! Not 70 or 80. And knows this will happen sooner rather than later:

You heard once, which means that you don't know either. I not trying to speculate on what type of medical retired players have. I simply stated that I believe that they had a medical plan and thought that it would work much like ours. Yes, even our medical plan is higher after we retire, but $2,000 - $3000...I don't know. The only way I'd see that is if insurance companies jack the prices up after finding out that they've participated in a dangerous lifestyle, that may have caused/created pre-existing conditions. What I am saying is that I don't know, just as I said somewhere in my entire post, eventhough you chose to comment on a section of it. What I do know is that it's not all the NFL fault, nor is it all the players fault. To be honest, the players should bare more responsibility because they knew the dangers of the sport but sided with glory of it instead and now that their glory is done, they want to cry foul. It doesn't work that way, or at least it shouldn't!

#73 xclr82xtc

xclr82xtc

Battle of the Cats Fan

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

you knew what you were signing up for. no one help a gun to your head and made you play running back in the nfl. take comfort in knowing you have enough money to take care of yourself and your family, and go back to do whatever you were doing..

sure there was concussions and memory loss back in the day, the only difference was the MEN back then took responsibility for their own actions.. now we live in a society where if you mess up, or make a bad descisions, its someone elses fault. sad really.

i honestly beleive they are going to try to ban football in the next decade..

losers..

#74 RedMage138

RedMage138

YES!YES!YES!

HUDDLER

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Really guys? Really?

I would love to see how you all would react in the same situation when staying out of a game could cost you millions of dollars in future earnings. All these players who are having problems had trainers, certified medical professionals, on the sidelines telling them they were okay to go back in games with head injuries. What would you do?

You'd go back into the game and suffer the consequences. Maybe you collapse on the plane ride home, maybe you start suffering memory loss years down the road.

There's nothing wrong with these players coming out and talking about their injuries or on going medical conditions and there's nothing wrong with doing research based on those injuries. I applaud the NFL for implementing the new rules to help promote players safety and prevent traumatic brain injuries because ultimately it will lead to a safer game and a better environment for players coming into the sport, especially for kids who are playing Pop Warner and in high school.

#75 4Corners

4Corners

2014 Huddle Poster of the Year.

HUDDLER

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

Yeah, and I still think Cutler is a pussy. It was his knee or something that was bugging him right?