100 replies to this topic

#31 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

I think poole will make the 53 as the #3 RB (tolbert listed at FB) hes looked decent so far.

I think Van Bergen has a slim chance, he can play UT, 5 tech and 43 DE in a pinch.

I disagree with hokebuck about Barnidge. He looked pretty good on Saturday and I've not heard of any particularly bad plays. I think he'll be a good pass catching #2 TE.

#32 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

I haven't noticed Roger Allen playing well at guard but he's had trouble with the snap as center. I've seen at least 3 botched snaps/shotgun hikes in three practices.

Someone asked about #18 Lamont Bryant. I have not seen him get many reps. In fact he did not participate in the 3rd practice. Might not be in shape or behind on the playbook. Not sure but he isn't seeing much action.

#33 Guest_Hokebuck_*

Guest_Hokebuck_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

I think poole will make the 53 as the #3 RB (tolbert listed at FB) hes looked decent so far.

I think Van Bergen has a slim chance, he can play UT, 5 tech and 43 DE in a pinch.

I disagree with hokebuck about Barnidge. He looked pretty good on Saturday and I've not heard of any particularly bad plays. I think he'll be a good pass catching #2 TE.

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012/7/30/3201474/carolina-panthers-training-camp-day-two-summary

Gary Barnidge had and up-and-down day. Early on the far field he dropped a couple of passes, and wasn't in his element; but by the end of the session he was going over the middle, making some nice catches, and became more comfortable. It's safe to chalk up the early struggles as him getting the rust off.

#34 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Tauren Poole has looked ok but it's hard to say if he makes the team. Right now you have Stew,D-Will, and Tolbert whom are locks. Then you have Brockel who is near a lock. That's 4 RB/FB in a single back offense. You could see them re-purpose Pilares as a scat-back as well. If someone goes down Poole has a great chance but right now I wouldn't go over 50/50.

The problem with Barnidge is he's having the most success in Greg Olsen's second team slot. The Panther's second tight end has to motion around and block often. Barnidge isn't a physical blocker. I'm seeing guys like Tolbet, Hartstock, and Brockel fill that 2nd TE position.

#35 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,389 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

WRs seem to always look better in training camp .Does anyone have a sense which ones will make it ? Does Green have any special team attributes? How will the Gettis injury play in to this?

#36 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,389 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

Tauren Poole has looked ok but it's hard to say if he makes the team. Right now you have Stew,D-Will, and Tolbert whom are locks. Then you have Brockel who is near a lock. That's 4 RB/FB in a single back offense. You could see them re-purpose Pilares as a scat-back as well. If someone goes down Poole has a great chance but right now I wouldn't go over 50/50.

The problem with Barnidge is he's having the most success in Greg Olsen's second team slot. The Panther's second tight end has to motion around and block often. Barnidge isn't a physical blocker. I'm seeing guys like Tolbet, Hartstock, and Brockel fill that 2nd TE position.

I heard they were using Pilares as a back.How does he look in that roll?

#37 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

It's hard to say because contact is the bane of little backs. What he does is read option end arounds. Pitches, lot of motion and running into the flat. You will never see him just take a hand off and plow into the line. We have real RBs for that. He just has a few creative plays where he gives a different look. It's hard to sit here and say he is shifty. Sure he's been catching a ton of short passes and breaking them up field but the defensive backs have no interest in stopping him.

#38 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

WRs seem to always look better in training camp .Does anyone have a sense which ones will make it ? Does Green have any special team attributes? How will the Gettis injury play in to this?

Green broke a legit kick return up field but special teams units don't really go full speed.

#39 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • 2,096 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

What is going on with Frank Alexander? If Hardy is sucking, I wanna know if he's stepping up.

#40 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

With the addition of Tolbert I suspect we'll see a little less single back sets and more HB/FB added in. I know Hartstock and Brockel are better blockers than Barnidge, but they also aren't nearly as skilled receivers.

#41 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

Frank Alexander has made a few nice plays. He's an effort guy like Jared Allen but the lines don't go full speed in camp.

#42 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,389 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

With the addition of Tolbert I suspect we'll see a little less single back sets and more HB/FB added in. I know Hartstock and Brockel are better blockers than Barnidge, but they also aren't nearly as skilled receivers.

Yea I recently heard someone say that Barnidge is not a very good blocker which I feel diminishes his value

#43 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 19,962 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

Seyi Ajirotutu and Jared Green are the ultimate risers so far. They looked great on the days that I went to camp.

#44 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Yea I recently heard someone say that Barnidge is not a very good blocker which I feel diminishes his value

Shockey wasn't known as a great blocker himself, just decent. When running in the 2 TE sets you need both to be able to find the soft spots, because when one is covered the other is usually open. I wouldn't trust Hartstock or Brockel in that area. If they don't think Barny can handle the #2 spot, they'll need to find someone.

#45 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,389 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

I have not heard much about Adams other than he dropped a punt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.