• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

Democratic voters have their issues as well, but "worshiping government" is not one of them. At least with government we have a shot at electing people that will screw us over. Companies - not so much.

I see this last statement a bit differently, though I would submit that (D) and ® simply answer to a different bossman.

With government, you rarely see a program go away, a tax go away, or put in their terms a "revenue stream" disappear.
Once enacted, they are all loathe to take away someone's bacon.
Also, government tends to grow, anr rarely if ever gets smaller, something ® voters like to TALK about but seem blind to the fact that their party often grows government bigger than the (D).

I see it like this...a company can really suck and fail. It then goes away. Well, maybe it gets bought up, refurbished, and the bigwigs golden parachute away.

The politicians can be voted out of office, but the policies don't really ever go away.

So pick your poison.

Honestly, bad governments scare me just a little bit more than big business....but it seems more and more like they are one in the same these days.

#32 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,385 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

Posted Image

#33 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,670 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

Really? You are fooling yourself.

I challenge you to walk into any one of the four billion churches in the state of north carolina and ask the occupants which candidate they will be casting their ballots for.

I'd guess the results would be about 98% for Romney.

They see it as their DUTY, they don't even consider policy.

How much you willing to bet? That would be easy money for me, if you are including all churches in the state.

I would be willing to bet that the voting percentages for Romney in white evangelical churches would be lower than those voting for Obama (or any other Democrat) in black churches.

Evangelicals make up a significant portion of the republican vote, but they are not a majority. They have a lot of influence in the primary, less so in the general election because the candidates to an extent take their vote for granted, much as democrats do the black vote. But Mccain was not well liked by the evangelicals. Their favorite in the 2008 election was Huckabee, and he lost. And Romney was not the favorite of the evangelicals in 2012 (their votes were more spread out among the other candidates) but Romney still won the nomination. That is why their vote matters more in the primaries than in the general election. Romney had to win their favor, but since he is now the presumptative nominee, getting that vote is not quite as important (although it is still somewhat important).

#34 Tarheel31

Tarheel31

cynical pessimist

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

You are talking about religious people voting in the primaries.

I know they didn't like Romney, seems no one did, yet somehow he is the guy.

Truth is though, given the choice between D Jesus fuging Christ Himself & R Adolf Hitler... the people that attend a christian church every Sunday will almost ALWAYS vote R

They will vote R or they will stay home.

Oh wait, I must be delusional... There is no connection between religion and the republican party.

#35 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

You are talking about religious people voting in the primaries.

I know they didn't like Romney, seems no one did, yet somehow he is the guy.

Truth is though, given the choice between D Jesus fuging Christ Himself & R Adolf Hitler... the people that attend a christian church every Sunday will almost ALWAYS vote R

They will vote R or they will stay home.

Oh wait, I must be delusional... There is no connection between religion and the republican party.

I'd like to see some statistics on the church-goer vote, personally. Republicans definitely carry fundamentalists, but I'm willing to bet mainstream Christians are pretty evenly divided between the two parties.

Jesus definitely would've voted democrat, too.

#36 Tarheel31

Tarheel31

cynical pessimist

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

I know my friend Haysoos does

#37 MCP

MCP

Peace, Love, Uke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

He'd of had to, unless he became a citizen, and voted legally.

#38 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

I'd like to see some statistics on the church-goer vote, personally. Republicans definitely carry fundamentalists, but I'm willing to bet mainstream Christians are pretty evenly divided between the two parties.

Posted Image
Posted Image
http://pewresearch.o...e-2008-election

#39 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

so depending on how you define mainstream Christians, a decent chunk are carried by dems pretty regularly, I guess.

#40 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,718 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

black protestants voted for Obama because he's black and they're racist.

black protestants voted for Kerry also because they're racist but lemme get back to you on specifics.

#41 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

Frequency of church attendance is a good indicator of party affiliation.

Not sure why they included seculars (These are people without a religious affiliation and who gave us no indication that they had any kind of religious belief or behavior) in a graph entitled "Religious Groups".

Note: Additional graphs referencing gay marriage and abortion referendums/initiatives in several states are discussed later in the article.

#42 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

black protestants voted for Obama because he's black and they're racist.

black protestants voted for Kerry also because they're racist but lemme get back to you on specifics.

no you see black people are just enslaved by the democratic party*, presumably because they're too dumb to realize it or too lazy to care. and have i told you about how the republicans are the real party for civil rights? i mean lincoln was a republican, come on

*this is a real thing that has been said by real posters here

#43 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

Responding to GOP presidential hopeful Herman Cain's denial of his party's history with blacks, CNN analyst Roland S. Martin writes a blog entry about African Americans migrating away from the Republican Party. While many became Republican out of affection for President Abraham Lincoln after the Emancipation Proclamation, they dashed away in droves in 1964 after the party nominated for president Arizona Sen. Barry Goldwater, who took a hard stand against the Civil Rights Act.

You would think that a black man born and raised in Georgia, who was a teenager during the civil rights movement, would understand the transition of African-Americans from voting overwhelmingly Republican to strongly supporting the Democratic Party.

But the GOP presidential candidate clearly didn't have the common sense that he often speaks of having when he went on CNN's "The Situation Room" and accused many African-Americans of being brainwashed to vote Democratic.

"Many African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open-minded, not even considering a conservative point of view," Cain said. "I have received some of that same vitriol simply because I am running for the Republican nomination as a conservative.
"So it's just brainwashing and people not being open-minded, pure and simple." ...

It's not the first time I've heard someone question the reasons for blacks' allegiance to the Democratic Party, but history has to be taken into account.

http://www.cnn.com/2...?iref=allsearch

#44 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

White Evangelicals are half of GOP primary voters

March 15, 2012 5:58 PM

NEW YORK -- With nominating contests completed in 27 states and nearly 40 percent of Republican National Convention delegates allocated, Republican primary voters are showing a record-breaking religious bent.

So far, 50 percent of Republican primary and caucus voters have been white evangelical, or born again, Christians, based on CBS News polling of voters entering or exiting their polling places since the first contest in January.

The data comes from entrance polls in two caucus states, Iowa and Nevada, and exit polls in 14 primary states - Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont and Virginia.

"Conservative people of faith are playing a larger role in shaping the contours and affecting the trajectory of the Republican presidential nomination contest than at any time since they began pouring out of the pews and into the precincts in the late 1970's," said Ralph Reed, founder and chairman of the Faith and Freedom Coalition, who called our attention to the numbers today.

"They are indispensable to any winning strategy for the eventual Republican presidential nominee in both the primaries and the general election. Any candidate who ignores these voters and the values that motivate them does so at their own peril," Reed said.

http://www.cbsnews.c...primary-voters/

#45 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

"Jesus is a Liberal"

It is clear that we American Christian Democrats are in a jam. We've become the silent majority,
we have almost no political voice and the Radical Right has stolen the humble, compassionate,
inclusive and loving "peoples" mantle of a Liberal Jesus and converted Him into a judgmental, elitist,
ultra conservative fascist poster boy. Let's just say it: "How did Jesus become pro-rich, pro-war and
only pro-America? It is time to take back our faith. Any Gospel that isn't 'good news' to poor people
is simply not the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And since when did promoting and pursuing a progressive
social agenda with a concern for economic security, health care, and educational opportunity mean
you had to put faith in God aside?"" - Jim Wallis, Sojourners. Read it again - please. Got it?! :-)

Many pundits claim that the last two Presidential elections went to the Republican Party because
of the Right Wing, Conservative Evangelical Christian vote. The fascinating thing is that Liberal,
Progressive and Democratic Party Christians far out number the Radical Evangelical Republicans.
So what's the problem? We believe that Christian Democrats have not passionately shared their
beliefs and have not openly made the direct connection between their Christian values and the
political choices and consequences.

Americans are among the most religious people in the world - and we openly profess that our beliefs
influence our voting, our form of government and our social policy. Yet - where is the political power
of the American Liberal Christian? Consider, as Charles Reed recently said: "We now have the most
corrupt, dishonest, and mean-spirited government in our history. Its performance in people programs
is the worst in the industrial world. The world's richest country is at or near the bottom in things like:
minimum wage, vacation time, paternity leave, poverty rate, illiteracy rate, crime rate, prison rate,
access to health care, access to legal services, access to decent housing, access to public
transportation, and access to higher education." How is this possible and what can be done?

http://www.jesusisal...n_Democrat.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com