• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 16,183 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Based on last night's performance alone, if you had to make the decision, who do you prefer starting? We all know of how rough of a year Captain had last year, but again, just based on last night, what do you think?

In all fairness, I appreciate Captain and think he is a great nickel and is best utilized on smaller, shiftier receivers. But, guys such as Stephen Hill swat him off like he isn't even there because of their length, which is why I don't know why our coaches keep lining him up against them.

In his defense, the PI call on Holmes was BS. He was still within 5 yards.

As far as Norman, I remember him getting beat by Holmes on a slant, but otherwise, he seemed solid and a lot less mistake-prone. The close he made on Baker in the endzone that resulted in Baker being injured was a great play. Also, his hit on Greene was awesome. I just really like what he brings to the table as the #2 corner.

#2 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

Gotta be Norman and Munnerlyn only coming in on nickel situations imo.

#3 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 11,230 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

Posted Image

#4 Strawman

Strawman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationKissimmee FL

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

I think Captain starts the season opposite Gamble, but by mid-season, Norman should supplant him. Captain is a nickel, anything more and he's overmatched.

#5 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

I see Captain as the starter for now. Hopefully Norman continues to impress and can grab the position in due time. It's a lot to ask a guy from a small school to come in and start immediately, especially with his injury keeping him out for a good amount of camp.

#6 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 16,183 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

I see Captain as the starter for now. Hopefully Norman continues to impress and can grab the position in due time. It's a lot to ask a guy from a small school to come in and start immediately, especially with his injury keeping him out for a good amount of camp.

I'd be right there with you, but with the amount of times they put him out there, especially on a guy like Holmes, shows how much belief they have in what he can do.

#7 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,186 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

Can anyone confirm that Norman has been thrown at this preseason? They tend to be picking on Gamble and Munn.

#8 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,677 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

norman as a fifth-round rookie at the same level as our starting veteran?

norman has far more upside, and captain has already reached his ceiling. i don't think there's too much of a question here.

#9 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,584 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

While I agree with others that Norman is not there yet in regards to an NFL starting-caliber CB, I only want to see Captain lining up if the other team sends a golden retriever out wide.

#10 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,584 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

norman as a fifth-round rookie at the same level as our starting veteran?

norman has far more upside, and captain has already reached his ceiling. i don't think there's too much of a question here.

Captain can't reach a ceiling without a ladder.

#11 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

Did Darius Butler even play last night?

#12 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,889 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

Start Josh, it can't be any worse than what we are getting out of Captain.

#13 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,395 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

I could see Captain starting, but he will be replaced soon.

The staff has to be excited about Norman's play making potential...and with our defense, we're going to need the turnovers he can hopefully create.

#14 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,064 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

I don't care how unprepared Norman is right now, Munnerlyn can't cover a #2 receiver without getting a pass interference, holding, or illegal contact penalty. Captain has no business playing that role. If he wants to stay in the NFL, he'd better embrace the nickelback position and learn to love it because that is his only chance of staying employed on any team in this league. The man is not tall. He is short. He is height-disadvantaged. You can be a short running back, you can be a short wide receiver, but you can't be that short of a player and expect to be a #2 cornerback in the NFL. I think it's just silly and embarrassing that we've dragged this "experiment" on for this long. Rivera end the misery already, for everyone's sake.

#15 beastson

beastson

Philly Cheese Steak

• HUDDLER
  • 10,383 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

After last night...

Yeah...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com