468 replies to this topic

#451 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:45 PM

Hopefully this will put an end to all of this ....

FO believed Fua > McClain
FO thought McClain = doo doo brown

Dwan Edwards became available.
FO pulled trigger.
FO believes team is better with Dwan. Tells McClain to kick rocks.

End of Story

Does that mean the FO is right?

#452 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:09 PM

Hopefully this will put an end to all of this ....

FO believed Fua > McClain
FO thought McClain = doo doo brown

Dwan Edwards became available.
FO pulled trigger.
FO believes team is better with Dwan. Tells McClain to kick rocks.

End of Story

Edwards is an upgrade no doubt (albeit not a long term solution)

The issue is going bust on a solid investment (3rd round pick) after only one season.

That is gonna piss people off as that is just not a good "FO" move or gameplan.

#453 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:35 PM

They were right in this situation, McClain blew, was the weak link. Found a suitable upgrade. Upgrading=winning. Were they right in picking him to begin with? No, and that sucks.

#454 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:37 AM

With our cap situation I very much doubt we're going to sign an elite young DT. For us we're going to have to draft an elite DT.

The problem with your assertion is, that where we will be drafting, we are not assured of anything,

By the time teams in the late 20s draft, the top tier talent is gone. Do you want to invest in another DT at that point? Considering that it takes time for DTs to deveop?

My point being. By the end of this year. We will know what we are missing, better than we do right now. It will be a much easier task adding 1 great piece next year, than trying to fix the problems this year.

By the end of this year, our weaknesses should be at the point, that one big FA accusition could conceivably put us over the top.

I am only talking one accusition. One big FA, that could basically makes us THE team.

That could happen. Or not.

#455 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:30 AM

which moment?

they obviously made a mistake in drafting mcclain, but you know what? it happens to every team with frequency. they all draft busts in early rounds. people draft DTs all the time even though they have a high bust rate. it's just going to happen. that's life....people make mistakes. nobody is immune to it, i don't care who you are or what position you have in life. i don't care how old you are. i don't care how many degrees you have. i don't care what your grades are. i don't care how much money you have, you are going to make mistakes and if you don't think that's acceptable....well tough sh1t. it happens.

what makes people failures isn't that they make mistakes...it's what they do with those mistakes. do they own up to them? do they make adjustments? do they work to rectify the situation? if they do this...that is acceptable because it's absolutely what they should be doing.

what makes people failures is a lack of inaction. it's just accepting it ("it is what it is") or, even worse, ignoring it. what ever the case, they don't do anything to fix it. sometimes they just get pissy and walk around bitching and moaning about themselves and/or everyone else. sometimes they get depressed and don't do anything. THAT marks a failure.

here's one thing i know people aren't going to find acceptable...taking risks and failing with them. same with thinking outside the box and having it come back to bite you in the butt. i don't buy that, tho. risk taking isn't for everyone. neither is thinking outside the box. it's the way growth happens and it's how people succeed. they do the things that others won't knowing that they could fail.

again, that's an area that what they do next that marks them as a failure. do they try to rectify the situation? yes. now they all might not follow the same timeline and they might not treat every situation the same. there should be double standards...even triple or quadruple or whatever. every situation requires unique attention and effort. same with every person as a parent or leader.

is hurney taking too long with AE? not my call. tough question tho, because again, i wouldn't have put us in that situation. i would have taken another risk. they have a plan of action with AE, but at some point they'll come to a realization that this just isn't going to work....or they might succeed.

now if this was a crucial position or situation i might be a little less patient, but seeing as how we are talking about what to do with a 3rd string QB or a 5th string WR or whatever....it doesn't really matter that much. it doesn't matter how they were acquired at this point, either. again, i thought it was a mistake out of the gate (although at the beginning i might have bought the hype in the heat of the moment, but that's just something i wouldn't have done myself). what's done is done, though, and now it's a matter of seeing how it all plays out.

“It’s not the note you play that’s the wrong note—it’s the note you play afterwards that makes it right or wrong.”
—Miles Davis

“To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.” —Joe Pierce (and to this i'll add that anything that requires building, requires creativity and risk taking...including trying to build a football franchise.)

#456 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:36 AM

ibttl;dr because it's too much work for my brain and i don't really feel like challenging my worldview or perspective in life.

#457 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:47 AM

That was a lot to read at 2:00 in the mourning. So I'll just say. I'm still and will always ba a fan of the team but I will question Marty's dumb moves. I consider this one a little premature. We could have still picked up Edwards and cut AE. Cutting a 3rd round pick after 1 season seem a like a rush to Judgement. And this whole plan for Armanti is really dumb.

Like I said if he was going to develop into a Megatron I'm all for waiting 3 years. But nobody in the FO or on this site thinks this. At best he will be a Randel EL. And I don't see a reason to wait 3 years for a Randel El to develop. So Armanti move will always rank high (like cutting Keyshawn for Jarret ) on Marty's dumb move list.

#458 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:51 AM

it's not dumb if it works.

winning games is all that matters. if what they have done doesn't get in the way, it couldn't have been too bad (and no...a roster spot used on a 5th WR or 3rd QB isn't likely to matter much). if what they do makes the team stronger and helps bring about wins...it was the right course of action.

#459 MasterAwesome

MasterAwesome

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:25 AM

I just don't understand how people can be so passionate about Armanti one way or another. We have practically seen nothing good or bad from him to warrant him being such a polarizing figure. Are you guys that upset that we have one less roster spot to stash another player who will see minimal to no playing time? I would understand if Armanti played in numerous games throughout the years and was miserable (dropping balls, running wrong routes, fumbling punts), but he just isn't ever on the field aside from a few meaningless preseason games which often don't showcase a player's true abilities (see: Cam). I don't see people calling for Garry Williams or Gary Barnidge to be cut since they're never on the field. I know Gary Barnidge isn't applicable anymore since we need him to step up as our #2 this season...but he has 12 receptions in 3 years with the team and I've never heard anyone ever clamor to get rid of him.

So I'm just apathetic about Armanti one way or another...all he is to me is depth. We've got our 2 "superstars" who everyone loves so much (Bryant and Green) on the practice squad who seem relatively safe for now, so I don't see why people are still adamant on Edwards getting cut. If we need to add another necessary piece to our team in the future (like a 5th CB), then we can revisit the topic...but for now I think people just need to let it go.

#460 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:48 AM

it's not dumb if it works.

winning games is all that matters. if what they have done doesn't get in the way, it couldn't have been too bad (and no...a roster spot used on a 5th WR or 3rd QB isn't likely to matter much). if what they do makes the team stronger and helps bring about wins...it was the right course of action.

Folks hold on to their own beliefs only as long as the truth is there. If you can convince them there preceived truth is wrong, you have a chance of changing thier mind.

Problem comes that most folks believe their truths to be fact.

Panther fans are spoiled. They have had quantified success in a short amount of time. So most feel they deserve more. It is the me me me atmoshphere.

Bring in Cam. And it all goes to poo. Cuz now we are in win now mode.

Bring in a new guy, great for the team. Only if it is a guy they know. A guy they can get behind.

Bring in an upgrade most fans don't recognize, and we are not improving.

We are in year two of a building proccess. We are ahead of schedule. We are on the verge of something special. Yet most fans are not happy?

You cannot please all the people. yadada.

As much as I love the Huddle. it is the negativity that really wears on me. WE HAVE HAD SUCCESS, SO WE SHOULD BE SUCCESSFULL, I AM A PATHER FAN SO I DESERVE MORE. That kind of fan is ... boring.

You earn what you get. We have not earned a thing. We are on the verge of proving folks wrong, And it is going to be great.

But in the grand scheme of things. Brady is on his way out. And a new sort of sheriff is in town.

Fug you Mr Touchdown, First Round Pick, CRA, and Grits. We are your worst nightmare. A young team that does not know it is not suppose to win. We will spank you and your cousin. On our way to spanking you momma and daddy. Cuz from now on. The Panthers are not to be fuged with.

#461 Irv

Irv

Winner Best New Huddler

• HUDDLER
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:00 AM

I am truly sorry Terrell McClain but your cut muuust be more severe.

MATELO MATELO CAM CAM CAM

Posted Image

I'm drunk

MATELO MATELO CAM CAM CAM MATELO MATELO CAM CAM CAM MATELO MATELO CAM CAM CAM

#462 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,996 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

We could have still picked up Edwards and cut AE. Cutting a 3rd round pick after 1 season seem a like a rush to Judgement. And this whole plan for Armanti is really dumb.

Why is this VERY simple concept so difficult for you to understand?

Keeping AE and cutting McClain/signing Edwards have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Our FO and staff had determined the number of players at each position that they wanted to keep based on talent, scheme we will play, etc. They decided that 6 WR's were the number they wanted to carry. Now, you can argue that AE should have been jetisoned and replaced by another WR....that I can understand and actually agree with.

However, to make the blanket assertion that we should cut AE and carry only 5 WR's so that we can carry another DT is laughable. They determined that they wanted an upgrade at the UT position and that is what they went and did. They upgraded a guy that they did not believe was giving us what we need with a proven vet.

Again, not many will argue that keeping AE over bringing in another WR seems to be the correct choice. But these two transactions are completely unrelated.

#463 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:23 AM

not reading 31 pages and i'd hope this would have already been said by now but.....

this move tells me that
a ) the FO had no faith in mcclain ever panning out and tbh that's probably the correct opinion. dude was not very good and we all know hurney holds on to dudes way too long so if this dude is being cut after 1 season then uh this is prob for the best
b ) the FO expects the team to win now. why hang on to a project that's probably never going to pan out when you can upgrade now and make a run? the team's still a little green in areas but with the issues in new orleans, question marks in tampa bay, and matt ryan's stupid unwarranted yearly hype, this team can legitimately compete for the division title

#464 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

• HUDDLER
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

McClain might one day be a good NFL player. Maybe this will be a wake up call to him. Maybe he reacts better to a more nurturing coaching style. Who knows.
I get the feeling that RR is not a motivator. I'm guessing that he feels that if winning games and seven figure salaries don't motivate you, he can't help you. If you need rah rahs and babysitters, go see if Rex Ryan or Jerry Jones will pick you up.
His drafting of self motivated / high motor players, plus the way he handled the Otah situation makes me feel like I'm correct in this assumption.
Perhaps Rivera likes Fua's and Edwards' work ethic enough to give them more of a chance than McClain.

#465 Louie

Louie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

I talked to Frank Garcia, former Panthers, St. Louis and Arizona Cardinals Offensive guard, about McClain and Fua. He said McClain didn't pass the eyeball test as an NFL DT. Fua was marginally better. He didn't think McClain could ever be a starting quality DT. I agree with this. Why keep a guy who didn't work out. If he is clearly never going to develop into even a serviceable backup, then just cut your losses and move on. I think the Armanti Edwards argument is a completely different argument all together and it shouldn't be discussed as related to this situation. I also think Armanti Edwards needs to go also, but that will probably happen when Gettis comes off the PuP list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.