Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So you want a new GM huh?..Check this out and maybe you'll reconsider.

68 posts in this topic

Posted

Since going to the Vikings in '06

Spielman season record: 46-51 (47% winning percentage), 2 playoff appearances, 1 playoff win

Hurney during that same time period

season record 43-54 (44% winning percentage), 1 playoff appearance, zero playoff wins

Yup, Spielman has been terrible with his new team.... yet still better than Hurney.

And which roster would you rather have right now?

Posted

panther4life,

you're starting to throw in your opinion with your facts...

I do agree that Hurney should go with Rivera if they both fail though

Posted

lol so now we completely turn the arguement around to whoever has the better roster is the GM we would want? If that's the case then there are a whole lot of rosters around the NFL in better shape than ours.

Remember, you are the one that said he had been terrible with his new team. But you want to keep Hurney who has been even worse over that same period?

Posted

You want him fired right now so yes let's go that route and see how things measure up at the end of the season

Posted

A new GM isn't going to do much of anything to change the course of *this* season. They earn their money building the team during the offseason.

And honestly, if we followed the logic you are using in this thread we'd still have Fox and Delhomme.

Posted

49% is not good enough.

/thread

Posted

So if we make the playoffs will you still want to fire him?

Posted

He should have been let go along with Fox. If he can start stringing together a series of winning seasons and prove me wrong then great. If not then he needs to go, pretty simple.

Posted

I have tried reading that gobbledy-**** 3 times now and I still don't get where you came up with the fact Hurney is #12, why that's good enough, and why you failed to mention his winning percentage of 43% since 2007 which among the worst in the league.

Joseph Goebbels, Fox News, Baghdad Bob, Mike Rucker...none of these guys have anything on the misleading propaganda in the first post.

Posted

He's well paid to do this very thing.

Let me put it to you this way: I am a computer programmer, and it blows my mind how little people understand my craft and what you can or cannot do technologically. Clients all the time imagine that an entire refactoring of their codebase is a "few weeks" worth of work since, in their mind, it's just a bunch of copying and pasting. In reality, a tiny change in one part of the codebase could have unforeseen ramifications throughout the entire program.

When NASA designs their software for the space program, they have to certify that their code is 99.9999% bug-free, when the average rate of programmer error is one bug per 300 lines of code, and the average commercial program contains over 500,000 lines of code. That's over 1600 errors, yet the average person whose total extent of technical know-how involves pressing the on-switch assumes that their computer is supposed to be error-proof and read their mind and bitch non-stop otherwise.

In the same vein, a top of the line general manager has a bust rate of around 50%, meaning that a pick they make is likely to be out of the league entirely within three years over half the time.

Absolutely elite GMs only raise this percentage by a few points at most, meaning the fanbase can make wild assumptions based on 20/20 hindsight on how their GM is totally retarded when they understand nothing of the process and the inherent randomness involved in it.

This isn't Madden.

I'm sure you are fantastic at your job, but competence isn't necessarily a prerequisite to employment-something you may have even observed within your field. JR likes to keep his kind of people close to him. I also think you are assuming that having a position within a particular field implies a certain level of acumen in that field. This may or may not be the case depending on many circumstances. If everyone was well-suited for the work they are doing, there would be no firings at all. Hurney, in my opinion and for numerous reasons outside of the draft, is incompetent in his role. Morevover, we'll never reach consistent greatness as a franchise until we have a new owner, but that's a whole different conversation.

Posted

Add one more to the list of genius threads started by the OP

Is Schiano Fox 2.0?

Name 1 cut that turned out to be a bad decision...

Best roster top to bottom that I can remember

Go on record with your Hurney feelings here

Posted

He had a top 5 offense last year. They improved the entire offense from last year. We had 1 bad game this year and all of a sudden his players dont fit?

The Defense had a ways to and has shown marked improvement with players returning from injury and new additions. 6 new starters in all and everyone appears to be an upgrade as well.

He has a 32 ranked one the year before....which allowed him the #1 overall.

That is Cam being Cam....too bad that roster was filled with holes all over it. I dont give Marty much for hitting on Peppers and Cam. With picks that high and an entire draft class to choose from.

He is decent....but the way he is building the roster post Fox....IMI shows he should of left with Fox. Building it to still play Foxball.