Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Playcalling on the final drive...

64 posts in this topic

Posted

...was smart.

Discuss.

Posted

The final drive.... As in THE final drive that involved taking a knee? Yea. I agree. Smartest play call for the situation

1 person likes this

Posted

I would never give the Saints* any chance period

1 person likes this

Posted

yes...we made them use both time outs and could not risk stopping the clock with an incomplete pass. We had to run, run, run up the middle. Protect the ball and use as much clock as possible. A fumble would have been a disaster.

The drive before that, however, where we started with 7min left, and only used 2min on a 3 and out, was total poo.

1 person likes this

Posted

I wouldn't say it was the smartest playcalling, it was the safest and it was effective. I would've liked better run plays designed to pick up tht 1st down, but of course you risk the chances of fumbling. We won the game so I'm good.

1 person likes this

Posted

I understand run, but why did we have to run up the middle where all their men were stacked? At least try to get a first down.

Posted

I understand run, but why did we have to run up the middle where all their men were stacked? At least try to get a first down.

I think the same way. Maybe a little more of that killer instinct, to put the game away with a final offensive effort. Better to do that than give Brees another shot. Thankfully, it didn't turn out that way today and things worked out for us.

Posted

Was this the first football game for some of you? Of course you run up the middle.

2 people like this

Posted

protect the football, force them to use the timeouts. that's your only option.

Posted

It's kind of like an offensive version of prevent defense.... you play it close to the vest and hope you don't lose

Posted

The drive before the last one, Chud had decided to pass on 3rd and 3 on our own 35. Which was a horrible call. So I was surprised to see him call all run plays on the last drive. Play calling on the final drive was okay instead of dumb and risky.

Posted

Was this the first football game for some of you? Of course you run up the middle.

Why? Up the middle you have 5 guys trying to strip the ball. The same amount of time runs off the clock running around the side. Probably more. And since they didn't have anyone over there we may even get a first down and not give them the ball back. So again, why does it HAVE to be up the middle.