Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthro

14.1%

148 posts in this topic

So it's about quantity and not really fair share. Finally the truth comes out. I wish the other redumblicans would be this brutally honest.

So, which number is "not his share"?

58% of his income to charity and taxes? Or, $9.2M to charity and taxes in 2011.

I am curious to know how much you think is someone else's share.....because I guarantee you that he pays a much higher percentage to taxes and charity than you EVER will.

I am curious to know how much you think is someone else's share.....because I guarantee you that he pays a much higher percentage to taxes and charity than you EVER will.

Yeah, but it wasn't one of those "good, liberal charities."

Then you're speaking out of both sides of your mouth. Either rich people like Romney aren't paying as high a percentage as the middle class and the poor, or a flat tax will add a burden onto the middle class and the poor. Which is it?

I don't understand what you mean by "Either rich people like Romney aren't paying as high a percentage as the middle class and the poor..." Are you disputing this fact? The % is right in the thread title. 14.1%. The tax rate for most of the middle class is 25%. Romney paid a lower tax rate. Are you arguing that he didn't, cause he's the one who released that number, not me.

Secondly, yes, a flat tax will place the burden onto the middle class and poor. You have to think in human terms rather than detaching yourself and just looking at the numbers. Taking 20% from someone working their ass off for 14,500 per year is ludicrous. You can't live off of that. That's all that needs to be said about it; it's a regressive system and it would destroy demand and the economy.

There is only 1 actual fair system, and it isn't proposed by anyone employed by our government. That is to abolish the income tax, and tax what is spent, not what is earned.

what is fair share of taxes ya bunch of Bob's from Accountemps?

Yeah but I pay a higher percentage in taxes. God doesn't want money he wants your heart.

41 Now Jesus sat opposite the treasury and saw how the people put money into the treasury. And many who were rich put in much. 42 Then one poor widow came and threw in two mites, which make a quadrans. 43 So He called His disciples to Himself and said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury; 44 for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood."

I give of my time and money. I'm on the outreach council at my church and provide a lot of services to the destitute and poor around Charlotte. Do I give as much? Who knows... There might be some that say I give way more.

There is only 1 actual fair system, and it isn't proposed by anyone employed by our government. That is to abolish the income tax, and tax what is spent, not what is earned.

I have zero problem with this idea. Is it yours?

I have zero problem with this idea. Is it yours?

It's called the Fair Tax. I leaned about it from Mike Gravel in 2004.

It's based on what you take from society (through consumption) rather than what you contribute to society (through work).

It also encourages people to live within their means. It would make life for the poor SO much easier, while also discouraging stuff like Bentleys in the ghetto. And it also wouldn't punish the rich like income tax, because it only "penalizes" for excess. If you're responsible with your money, you're all set. If you are buying gold plated spaghetti noodles, you're going to pay a lot of tax on that.

It's called the Fair Tax. I leaned about it from Mike Gravel in 2004.

It's based on what you take from society (through consumption) rather than what you contribute to society (through work).

It also encourages people to live within their means. It would make life for the poor SO much easier, while also discouraging stuff like Bentleys in the ghetto. And it also wouldn't punish the rich like income tax, because it only "penalizes" for excess. If you're responsible with your money, you're all set. If you are buying gold plated spaghetti noodles, you're going to pay a lot of tax on that.

Who's against it?

I like the broad strokes of it. Let me amend what I've said....IF we're going to have income tax, THEN a flat tax is a must.

Who's against it?

I don't know. I've heard arguments from liberals that it's not a progressive tax, and I can see the point and feel the rebate covers that problem.

I think it's just not known or popular enough for people to be "against it."

"Opposition to the FairTax is bi-partisan in Washington. While most co-sponsors are Republican, those supporting the FairTax represent a minority of Republican Members. Eight years of majority rule by the GOP did not see the FairTax enacted. Democrats have been even less moved by the potential of the FairTax."

http://www.fairtax.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=10339

Would a consumption tax stymie the economy and industries?