Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Giants game revisited. A few surprises emerge...

68 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm also not sold on Rivera also and most likely he's not our coach of the future BUT I believe Sean Mcd is so terrible I'm willing to give Rivera one more season under a brand new defensive coordinator and see what he can do.

Posted

Why that is such a huge problem for some of our fans and media is beyond me. It's a towel. Get over it. He acted professionally throughout, despite tough circumstances.

You should tell this to Steve Smith. He obviously thinks different than you do.

Also... I wouldn't be shocked one bit to learn Gatorade pays Cam to wear the towel.

Posted

McDermott must have been afraid that the Giants would rape us with deep passes over the top of our defense if we used tighter coverage. That's a bad sign that McDermott has no confidence in our secondary, and would rather play a soft zone to prevent huge plays. What's most disturbing is that McDermott has a say in who we draft, pick up in FA, and who starts, but now doesn't believe in his players. How many more seasons will pass before we have defensive players good enough for McDermott to shine? There were plenty of good DBs availble in the draft, and floating around in FA. Our coaches chose Nakamura and Norman, so now they're going down with the ship.

As for our defensive line, we completely failed to draft the right DTs. McClain and Fua were a total disaster from day one, and now we fans are paying the price. When you fail in the draft, the only other option is FA to fix the problem. If your GM has burned through your teams money, then you get scrap heap players in FA. "We build through the draft" talk is bs code for we don't have the money to fix the problem in FA, and we screwed up the draft building part, so get ready to lose.

It's no wonder that the Giants handed us our ass in prime time. They draft extremely well, and they are smart with their money. I'm not going to say that we overpaid for player-X, I'm sick of that gabage. What I will say is that the amount of revenue each team spends on players in the NFL has leveled off, and yet we have considerably less talent than the Giants and many other teams in the NFL.

I expect this team to finish somewhere between 6-10 and 8-8, and I have to imagine this is McDerps last season, but who knows.

Posted

Also... I wouldn't be shocked one bit to learn Gatorade pays Cam to wear the towel.

Let me ask you a question. Last year against Minnesota, when Cam had just converted a 4th and 14 to Brandon LaFell for the first, and they were in the red zone, should Cam have jumped all over Smitty for his holding that killed the game winning drive?

Cam didn't do anything any different than Luke Kuechly or Jon Beason, both of whom were seen hanging their heads on the sideline.

Here's an idea...how about letting one of our coordinators, or one of our veteran players show up for the post game press conference, and see how chipper they are.

Cam is a 23 year old kid that is expected to carry a not very good team. There are going to be rough spots.

Smdh.

2 people like this

Posted

I re-watched the game tonight as well, and the two things that stuck out the most to me in reference to our offense was, one, how many of our drives were killed by JPP or Osi.

Two, Greg Olsen is the worse blocking TE that I've possibly seen in my life. His blocking was single handedly the reason why 3 of our first half drives stalled.

Chuds play calling didn't help, because at this point you should know your players strength and weaknesses, and asking Olsen to block a DE is just crazy.

Posted

I re-watched the game tonight as well, and the two things that stuck out the most to me in reference to our offense was, one, how many of our drives were killed by JPP or Osi.

Two, Greg Olsen is the worse blocking TE that I've possibly seen in my life. He was single handedly the reason why 3, that's right, I counted 3 drives that was stalled because of Greg Olsens blocking.

Chuds play calling didn't help, because at this point you should know your plays strength and weaknesses, and asking Olsen to block a DE is just crazy.

JPP earned his money on Thursday. I think he had 3 batted balls, and disrupted all night.

Regarding Olsen, he tries, but he's just not a great blocker. Neither is Barnidge (actually, he's worse). The problem is, Chud wants to have 3 to 5 receiving options on the field damn near every play, so playing Hartsock or Brockel more is not an option. And yes, TE and WR (especially Murphy) blocking has had a big impact on the success of both our running and passing game.

Posted

Peppers against the Vikings in '09 was the last time I seen a DE take over a game the way JPP did Thursday night. Man I wish we had a player like that on our team. LOL....... That guys is a straight baller.

Posted

I also blame Chud for Cams 2nd INT. There's no play in the playbook that's going to get you 22yards, and not only did Chud ask Cam to convert a 3rd & 22, but he asked him to do it with an empty backfield, against possibly the best pass rushing team in the league.

1 person likes this

Posted

I also blame Chud for Cams 2nd INT. There's no play in the playbook that's going to get you 22yards, and not only did Chud ask Cam to convert a 3rd & 22, but he asked him to do it with an empty backfield, against possibly the best pass rushing team in the league.

That's the part that many miss when they see 3 interceptions. It's like the last one, we're 4th and goal, down by a gazillion, nobody is open, but Cam tries to force it in there and gets picked. Well, what the hell do you expect him to do? A Jimmy Clausen throw away into the bench? A kneel down? Of course he's going to try to force it in there. We would be pissed if he didn't.

Posted

That's the part that many miss when they see 3 interceptions. It's like the last one, we're 4th and goal, down by a gazillion, nobody is open, but Cam tries to force it in there and gets picked. Well, what the hell do you expect him to do? A Jimmy Clausen throw away into the bench? A kneel down? Of course he's going to try to force it in there. We would be pissed if he didn't.

You're absolutely right!

Another thing I would like to point out is, Cam was right, the Giants did nothing special at all, scheme wise, to stop the Read Option, they just have the horses up front that could individually blow it up.

It truly did come down to execution, although I think Cam was overwhelmed with Osi's speed and JPP's power and range at times, hence his hesitation when reading them.

Posted

I don't recall Smitty saying anything about the towel. His only point was that when Cam was taken out he should have been watching the game instead of sitting on the bench.

Posted

I just want to see Ron go off on a player any player at least once, show some emotion please!

That's a good point. He often seems distant from the team, I'm not a Rivera hater but I would like to see him more engaged during the game.