• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

So I was sitting in my car on my lunch break eating Taco Bell yesterday right outside my office. I was talking to my buddy about the Oakland A's game we went to the day before, as well as the upcoming Stanford Cardinal game this Saturday. I'm in mid-conversation when a cop comes up to my window, with a hand on his holstered gun and tells me to get off the phone, show him both of my hands, and get out of the car. I put the phone on the dashboard and comply because I don't feel like getting shot in the face. I step out of the car and see four more black and whites show up as well as an undercover guy in a mustang. I ask what is going on, and they say someone walked by my car and said they heard me say I was going to kill myself.

As if on cue, three of my coworkers drive up while the cop turns me around puts my hands behind my back, and searches me for weapons. It was a really hot day, and he then made me site on that bar that's on the front of cop cars while they ran my name. I asked can I please sit in the shade, and the cop said sit down, shut up and keep your hands out of your pockets. They ask what I was talking about with my buddy, ask if I'm having problems at home or with work, an I'm like absolutely not this is absurd. I tell them I'm a diehard A's fan and there couldn't be a day where I am less likely to kill myself than today. I tell them over and over again that whomever walked past my car must have misheard something I said. They ask what I could have said that may have been misheard, and I said that it was such a run of the mill conversation I couldn't even begin to tell them what it may have been. The cop then searches my car, supposedly for weapons, and then grabs my phone and calls my buddy back to ask what we were talking about. I suppose to corroborate my 'story'. These guys treated me like complete poo, after I repeatedly told them there must have been some misunderstanding.

I didn't think anything more about it until I walked into my office today and already have heard two times 'you got arrested in the parking lot yesterday?!' I'm kind of humiliated. Obviously I wasn't arrested but still. So my question is, is it worth it to drive a mile down the road and go complain about this, or will I just set myself up to catch some bullshit tickets in the future in retaliation? Anyone got thoughts on this?

Oh, and I put this here instead of the lounge because I figured it will inevitably turn into a fug the police thread.

#2 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

I encourage anyone to file a police complaint if they feel it is valid.

Let's say that cop has done this several times before and he goes even further next time and it's caught on camera. It'd be better for the news report to say the cop also had several complaints against him previously.

What did you get at Taco Bell? The Nacho Bell Grande without beef or tomatoes is excellent.

#3 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

As a former law enforcement employee, to me this seem a bit forceful and extensive... That said, I can understand you being cuffed and the car being searched, as well as the extensive questioning (to ensure both the safety of yourself, and the safety of the officers and people around)... I think calling the person you were talking with (without your permission?) is a bit much... I'm also interested in who placed this call to 911... I'm assuming you were released on the scene? Some officers, especially younger officers with less experience, have a tendency to become overzealous and overstep themselves in an attempt to clean up and protect the world... Generally as they get more experience (the good ones) learn that they don't have to be a douche to serve and protect... I would say that if you feel you were violated then you are well within your rights and expectations to go and see why this happened... QUESTION more than complain... I don't believe you would be setting yourself up for future harrassment... I personally have no problems with anyone being cuffed and detained (embarassing as it may be I agree), to ensure that both the person and the police are safe until the situation is resolved... However, you have a right to an explanation of what was going on... And if you didn't get satisfactory answers, then I certainly do encourage you to go get the ones you need...

#4 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Do I have a right to obtain the information as far as who called and what they said? I can understand if they say that they heard me say that and they thought they saw a gun or something, but the extent these guys took it to seems a bit excessive with the information I was given by them. So someone calling and saying they heard that gives them PC to search me and my vehicle? I'm not even trying to file suit or some nonsense, I just want to know if this is standard operating procedure for this kind of situation or not.

And to the other guy, I got a Volcano taco and chicken quesadilla. It was wonderful with a baja blast Mountain Dew.

#5 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

If you were eating a volcano taco from Taco Bell it does sound like you were trying to kill yourself.

#6 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,863 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

They perceive eating at T Bell as a cry for help?

#7 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,310 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

Basically what Nance said... I would certainly think you are entitled to more info, and the cop(s) on the scene should have been more forthcoming with you... there was no need to be rude, but unfortunately some cops think they have the right to act however they please.

Having said that, I seriously doubt that they will give you the name of the person that called... you don't have any local enemies do you? Sounds like some sort of evil prank...

#8 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

Do I have a right to obtain the information as far as who called and what they said? I can understand if they say that they heard me say that and they thought they saw a gun or something, but the extent these guys took it to seems a bit excessive with the information I was given by them. So someone calling and saying they heard that gives them PC to search me and my vehicle? I'm not even trying to file suit or some nonsense, I just want to know if this is standard operating procedure for this kind of situation or not.

And to the other guy, I got a Volcano taco and chicken quesadilla. It was wonderful with a baja blast Mountain Dew.

From the description you gave it doesn't SOUND like they did anything 'illegal' in regards to detaining you and searching the car... It more sounds like you got hold of a cop that's a jerk and was a bit more forceful than the situation called for... 911 calls are generally public record, but some areas do place restrictions on releasing them... One thing I would certainly be interested in knowing is whether or not the individual who placed the call is guilty of filing a false report and/or abuse of the 911 system... I agree that the situation and ordeal you experienced was uncomfortable, embarassing and a bit extreme, but from my perspective I'm much more interested in the latter... To me it just 'feels' like a false report, and that's a big deal... Anyone that you know of who would be inclined to harrass you in that way?

#9 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

Oh, and eating Taco Bell could definitely have been misconstrued as an attempt at suicide... Just sayin'...

#10 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,910 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

i think someone who doesn't like you called 911 to see what would happen. sounds pretty extreme and douchey. i think you have mentioned your temper or if you drink too much you like to fight or something like that.

i only mention that because maybe that happened once with you and somebody saw it and figures they will show you. i could be totally off base and by no means am i saying you have done anything wrong.
just piecing together odd stuff man.
sorry you had to go thru that.

#11 Iceberg Slim

Iceberg Slim

Keep it 100

• HUDDLER
  • 2,087 posts
  • Locationwhatcha worried about it for

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

What outcome do expect to gain by filing a complaint? Are you hoping to gather enough data to file a law suit; do you want the cop fired/disciplined; do you want an apology?

#12 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

What outcome do expect to gain by filing a complaint? Are you hoping to gather enough data to file a law suit; do you want the cop fired/disciplined; do you want an apology?

I'm not trying to sue or get an apology. I more just want there to be some sort of record of the incident, because one of these cops is going to unlawfully shoot somebody someday I'm sure of it.

#13 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,863 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Just thinking out loud here.

you think with all the nut jobs that go into public places and start shooting, that the cops have been instructed to take these things more seriously?

just ramdom thinking

#14 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

^^^ this is a very real possibility.

#15 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,310 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

Stirs makes a good point... however, taking things more seriously =/= being an asshole.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com