#16 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

True

Serious and Jerk to not have to go together.

Was the guy a vet or fairly new? Have any idea?

#17 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,108 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

They should at least be able to provide you with a transcript of the 911 call ... to prove someone actually called them. Sounds like it could have been an excuse to search your vehicle. Maybe you unwittingly parked somewhere where they think there could be some drug activity or something, but because they don't have probable cause to search your car, they find a way through a "call" made to them. They suddenly have "probable cause," and if they find a little pot or a weapon or something in your car, then they've got you. (Yeah, I'm suspicious about it.)

#18 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,320 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

With all the cop cars showing up together, I just think they smelled something bigger. no pun intended (taco bell)

#19 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,688 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

i think someone who doesn't like you called 911 to see what would happen. sounds pretty extreme and douchey. i think you have mentioned your temper or if you drink too much you like to fight or something like that.

i only mention that because maybe that happened once with you and somebody saw it and figures they will show you. i could be totally off base and by no means am i saying you have done anything wrong.
just piecing together odd stuff man.
sorry you had to go thru that.

i knew two parties who had a nasty fight over the phone once. as a form of retaliation, party A called the local police and said that party B was suicidal.

the police showed up at party B's apartment and she was cuffed and driven to the hospital. the officers who responded to the call politely but very firmly insisted that party B would not be released from their custody until a psychological evaluation had been conducted. party B waited for several hours at the hospital until a doctor was able to swing by the exam room and confirm that she was, in fact, not suicidal. she was discharged in a less than fantastic mood.

the hospital bill showed up shortly thereafter and much fun was had by all.

so yeah, that's certainly possible.

#20 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,980 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

You shouldn't have let them search you if they didn't have a warrant...

Any time something like this happens, ask why you're being detained... Never allow them to search you without a warrant... Never answer any questions unrelated to you carrying on about your business... and ALWAYS tell them that the clock is ticking...

If it were me, I'd have been down filing a formal complaint immediately... If any sort of retaliation happened after that, you've already got the paper trail started...

I doubt they can disclose the "tip" source, as that probably falls under some sort of anonymity umbrella, but there should be a record of the call... I'd want a copy of the transcript for my personal records, and in case it happens again...

#21 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

You shouldn't have let them search you if they didn't have a warrant...

Any time something like this happens, ask why you're being detained... Never allow them to search you without a warrant... Never answer any questions unrelated to you carrying on about your business... and ALWAYS tell them that the clock is ticking...

If it were me, I'd have been down filing a formal complaint immediately... If any sort of retaliation happened after that, you've already got the paper trail started...

I doubt they can disclose the "tip" source, as that probably falls under some sort of anonymity umbrella, but there should be a record of the call... I'd want a copy of the transcript for my personal records, and in case it happens again...

This is probably not the best approach to take, IMHO... Getting into a bickering match with law enforcement rarely works out well for the individual being detained, and really only serves to make things more difficult on yourself in the here and now... If you feel you are being harrassed, then by all means do take notes, get names, etc, but I would strongly recommend against becoming belligerent with authorities is generally unwise... Remember in MOST cases, the officers are not the issue, they are simply doing a job... I strongly feel that in this case, while the officer may have been an ass, the blame goes to the person placing the call... Which I agree with you on, I highly doubt they will release the name, BUT they MAY decide it's necessary to open an investigation on that individual...

#22 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,320 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

Yeah, if a prank caller said you were going to kill yourself and implied you might take others with you, it would explain his attitude a bit better and the other cars that all showed up.

#23 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

They should at least be able to provide you with a transcript of the 911 call ... to prove someone actually called them. Sounds like it could have been an excuse to search your vehicle. Maybe you unwittingly parked somewhere where they think there could be some drug activity or something, but because they don't have probable cause to search your car, they find a way through a "call" made to them. They suddenly have "probable cause," and if they find a little pot or a weapon or something in your car, then they've got you. (Yeah, I'm suspicious about it.)

It's entirely possible it was an issue of profiling... That's not as rare as we'd all like it to be unfortunately... I highly doubt they would manufacture a 'call scenario' that didn't happen... That would be grounds for termination and lawsuit, and easily trackable... If this is the case, then the officer responding initially, as well as the cars responding subsequently need to be investigated to determine whether or not laws were broken and/or action should be taken against the officers...

I HIGHLY suspect that in this case someone placed a call to 911 in an effort to harrass, or as a result of simply being an over-nosey citizen on patrol...

#24 nobody

nobody

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

just go down there walk into the lobby and say you are going to start shooting and tell us how that works out

(joke PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT)

but the other question would be do you have a badge number or info for the cop - also what state are you in?

I would also advised if you walk into the building hold free food and then ask questions when you are giving them the food they are more likely to help you.

(used to work for papa johns and 4 large pizzas and 1 mountain dew got me a 11 transcript 2 witnesses the ticketing officer said didnt exist and all charges waived)

they like free food

#25 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,566 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

Personally, I can't stand when an officer uses the badge to do something illegal.

I would not have allowed them to search me or my car. Ask them to get a warrant.

I also would be singing like a canary to the higher ups in the department, and asking to see the transcripts of the 911 call.

What they did was wrong, they need to be called on it.

#26 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

A warrant is no longer applicable as he had "probable cause". I quote it because although we know you weren't suicidal, the officer came into the situation believing that was the case.

I would send a formal letter to the Chief of Police thanking his men for coming out and ensuring your *safety* but at the same token complain about the single officer. I would leave it at that and not think about it another second.

#27 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

I'm not trying to sue or get an apology. I more just want there to be some sort of record of the incident, because one of these cops is going to unlawfully shoot somebody someday I'm sure of it.

to serve and protect and it sure sounds like that's what he was doing! bit of a stretch for you to say you know he's going to unlawfully going to shoot somebody someday!

guy was just doing his job based on information he got...he can't help it if someone gave poo information
!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com