Photo
- - - - -

Of all the mistakes Hurney has made Rivera is the worst.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 ckad79

ckad79

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

As much as Rivera frustrates me, I don't want to turn into one of those teams that switches up the playbook every year either. It's easy to want to clean house when things aren't going well, but historically teams that lack patience don't win often either. I have no problem giving Rivera time to win because this team is young and has time to go through some growing pains. Well, with the exception of Smitty who I certainly feel sorry for.

#32 prowler2k8

prowler2k8

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

Seen Harbaugh and the 49ers?

Yeah, but I don't think this is a fair comparison, as the 9ers already had a very solid D and they kept the same scheme from the previous regime. I know Harbaugh is a different caliber of coach in comparison to Rivera, but you have to remember that JH had coaching experience on different levels (not to mention coming from a family tree of coaches e.g. father and brother) and he couldn't have walked into a more ideal situtation than with SF, as all the 9ers need was re-tooliing and a new direction. The Panthers are trying to build a consistent winner (after years of mediocre drafting) AND trying to assimilate a new direction/philosophy. We need to give RR more time.

I'm 50/50 on Hurney. I think he shoulders more of the blame than he should, but it's hard to ignore that last few years of drafting subpar talent and trading valuable picks for players that would be on other teams' practice squad or turned out to be complete busts e.g. Duke Robinson, Everette Brown and Jeff Otah.

#33 Jesse

Jesse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

I really hope Rivera is our coach to stick around, but its hard when you see guys like Harbaugh, Schiano and even Mularkey who are doing better off than us considering the circumstances.

#34 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

Jordan Matthews Bandwagon.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,013 posts
  • LocationS.L.R.C.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

Sad thing is I suspect Richardson put him on a budget when searching for a coach because of the guys we interviewed were never gonna demand much money. Richardson needs to quit fuging around and spend on the best head coach he can find, regardless of the cost.

Jerry isn't cheap. Why do people think this?

#35 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

I don't think hiring Rivera comes even close to the trade up for Armanti, or even the trade up for Everette. A mistake no doubt, but not one that should have been so obviously wrong at the time as those two draft day trades. I'd also argue the handling if the peppers situation was worse. Should have traded him while he was on the franchise tag.

#36 Pantherman

Pantherman

• HUDDLER
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

well i know u guys hate stoic rivera but im not in the business of getting coaches fired after only a year and a half.

Hurney has had his chance and failed.

Rivera is still up for debate. it hasnt even been 2 full seasons yet ffs.

Put it to you this way. If we keep lossing and we have 3-13 or 2-14 season. Then this season may be Rivera last. George Seifert was fired in his second season after going 1-15 with the Panthers. So don't think it couldn't happen with Rivera as well.

#37 FastNFurious

FastNFurious

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Not really sure that a "competent"HC even wants to work in Charlotte.... one look at the fanbase and how they call for the guillotines would scare anyone away

#38 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,046 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

Not really sure that a "competent"HC even wants to work in Charlotte.... one look at the fanbase and how they call for the guillotines would scare anyone away

lol you really need to get a better idea of what a critical fanbase actually is

#39 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Jerry isn't cheap. Why do people think this?

No, Jerry isn't cheap per se. I think he is reactionary. Let me explain...

Think back to the days of Don Capers. Remember when Jerry wanted to sign him to like a 10 year contract after '96? That blew up on him when the team stagnated. So then he makes a high profile hire in Seifert, and that didn't work out. So he goes with a low profile John Fox, a cheap hire, then as soon as we see some success with him, Jerry makes him one of the highest paid coaches in the league. I guarantee the same thing would happen with Rivera should we suddenly start winning. Jerry would be ready to tear up his contract and pay him the big bucks. It just seems to me like overreaction after overreaction.

I don't think Jerry wants a high profile coach like Parcells or Jimmy Johnson (guys from the past) that become the face of the franchise. Remember before Rivera was hired, Marty talked about how they weren't going to let a coach direct how the franchise was run. They wanted someone who would follow Marty and Jerry's lead. That kinda rules out a high profile type guy. So they hire someone just thankful to be given the opportunity, and pay them little until they experience success.

So you are right in that JR will pay a coach big bucks, but he only does it after there has been some demonstrated success, and then he tends to go overboard. But he probably will never hire a high profile guy that he has to pay big bucks up front.

#40 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

2009-2011 draft says Hi.

#41 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

We actually have Nakamura sugar coaters. I don't think a head coach would fear our fan base and Panther owned local media.

#42 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

No please, tell me more about this Amway....sounds promising

• HUDDLER
  • 4,965 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

Rivera? Worst mistake? I rank a few higher..

Uh -Jeff Davidson, Armanti, Everette, Never addressing WR2 or Groomed WR1.

..Never Addressing elite Guys in the secondary.

Ignoring DT and drafting guys that bust out of the league in two years or Trading for DTs then cutting them.

Armanti Edwards.

Jake Delhomme extention.

Soon: Allowing Gross, Gamble and Steve Smith to all get well past their primes and not having replacements...Whoops..possibly now.

Not signing one of the 500 tight ends to replace the Shock.

Ignoring big name free agents that can help in areas of need then offering the same amount to average guys..

Rivera is by far not the worst mistake...what retread would be a better replacement?

I feel Rivera is the Perfect coach for the Panthers but there does need to be a mini house cleaning done.....

This is year 2 and one of those had an abbreviated off season. Talent is greater than play calling...we just need Physical, talented guys and the commitment to make one aspect thats not running back dominant(and even thats not dominant).

#43 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

JASON VERRETT 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 15,517 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

Money was clearly an issue. That's why JR supposedly didn't know who Harbaugh was, even when he was one time a QB on his own team.

#44 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

JASON VERRETT 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 15,517 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

Yeah, but I don't think this is a fair comparison, as the 9ers already had a very solid D and they kept the same scheme from the previous regime. I know Harbaugh is a different caliber of coach in comparison to Rivera, but you have to remember that JH had coaching experience on different levels (not to mention coming from a family tree of coaches e.g. father and brother) and he couldn't have walked into a more ideal situtation than with SF, as all the 9ers need was re-tooliing and a new direction. The Panthers are trying to build a consistent winner (after years of mediocre drafting) AND trying to assimilate a new direction/philosophy. We need to give RR more time.

I'm 50/50 on Hurney. I think he shoulders more of the blame than he should, but it's hard to ignore that last few years of drafting subpar talent and trading valuable picks for players that would be on other teams' practice squad or turned out to be complete busts e.g. Duke Robinson, Everette Brown and Jeff Otah.

49ers Defense back when Singletary was there is only as good as ours now. Only difference is they uses FAs wisely and smartly by adding Whitner and Rogers to the back field. That upgraded their defense by a bunch and help made them into what they are today. All we did was sign a poor Nakamura and keep on drafting low rounds cbs.

#45 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 9,849 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

"Hello, I'm Mike Smith, and I took a team that was 3-13 coming off of a huge scandal and reached the playoffs in my first season as head coach with a rookie quarterback."

"Well hello there, I'm Ron Rivera, and potato."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.