Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PantherTrain84

Will 1-5 seal the deal?

54 posts in this topic

How are we not a young team?

Starters 27 and younger:

Cam

Tolbert

Stewart

Lafell

Olsen

Amini

Kalil

Bell

CJ

Hardy

Keuchly

Beason

Norman

Godfrey

Hakuri

28 and older:

Dlo

Smitty

Gross

Hangman

Ron Edwards

Dwan Edwards

Anderson

Gamble

(half of these can be easily replaced)

So tell me how were not a young team again?

Well, you are being "loose" with what a starter is....

For example, Tolbert isn't a starter. Not in reality. In reality he is our 3rd string RB.

Then you include guys who wouldn't start on most NFL teams like Nakamura, Godfrey, etc.

Then you include rookies....and you never know how that pans out

Changes will be made after this season if we don't have a winning season. Whether it is Rivera and his staff or Hurney...you can't keep a staff around who is 12-20 (or less) in the last two seasons. If you look at coaches who got fired early in their tenure recently you've got:

Raheem Morris - Actually had a 10-6 season (fired after 3rd year)

Jim Caldwell - Got fired with a winning record (was 28-22 and had 14 of those losses in one season)

Mike Singletary - Got the job at midseason and went 5-4, 8-8, then 5-10 then got fired at the end of that season.

IMO Morris and Caldwell did a better job in their time than Rivera is doing currently. Singletary was terrible and deserved to get fired. If Rivera doesn't get this thing on the right track and get us to a winning record then he should be fired...period. He is paid to win games with the talent he has (which isn't all that bad other than a few positions) and he hasn't to this point. Go get someone who has some freaking head coaching experience on this staff.

A telling characteristic about this team is that we are the only team other than the 49ers that doesn't have at least one coach with NFL HC experience.

Nothing about our history suggests we pull the trigger and move on at the same pace as others

Well, you are being "loose" with what a starter is....

For example, Tolbert isn't a starter. Not in reality. In reality he is our 3rd string RB.

Then you include guys who wouldn't start on most NFL teams like Nakamura, Godfrey, etc.

Then you include rookies....and you never know how that pans out

Tolbert is our starting fullback and Nak and Godfrey are our two safetys? I named all our starters regardless of how good they are. And for the other guy when i say half of our players over 28 can be easily replaced i mean its not hard to go find another player like Dwan, Ron, Hangman, and Dlo. I was just trying to prove we have way more young players than old.

Changes will be made after this season if we don't have a winning season. Whether it is Rivera and his staff or Hurney...you can't keep a staff around who is 12-20 (or less) in the last two seasons. If you look at coaches who got fired early in their tenure recently you've got:

Raheem Morris - Actually had a 10-6 season (fired after 3rd year)

Jim Caldwell - Got fired with a winning record (was 28-22 and had 14 of those losses in one season)

Mike Singletary - Got the job at midseason and went 5-4, 8-8, then 5-10 then got fired at the end of that season.

Major difference with your examples is that they didnt work for Jerry Richardson when they were fired.

Am I the only one who remembers JR lame ducking Foxes last year cause he was under contract?

Very few things ever get "sealed" before you even reach the midseason mark.

Why is it so hard to put together a staff that knows what the hell is going on...?

Why is it so hard to put together a staff that knows what the hell is going on...?

Because the owner has put his trust in a man he believes is capable of doing that, but isn't.

1 person likes this

When you add up all the different ways that this Rivera coached team has lost in his two seasons it becomes clear that what this team lacks more than anything is a staff that 1) can accurately anticipate what the other team is going to do and 2) can coach his players to execute a game plan that takes advantage of the opponent's weaknesses.

It seems like the best we get out of Rivera is a promise to return to fundamentals while sticking with failed strategies (like the read option). They don't make good adjustments during the game and clock management is atrocious. If you don't know how to coach on game day, you can't be a successful coach in this league. Rivera is not a good manager and not a good strategist. You need at least one of these skills to be successful. You need both to win the Super Bowl.

Because the owner has put his trust in a man he believes is capable of doing that, but isn't.

pretty much.

i think he knows things aren't working, but he has too much faith in his plan to deviate from it.

1 person likes this

I wish but prob not.

People and even a lot of the media seems to think or believe that Rivera is a much better coach than his record. Dno but that's the case.

If the panthers some how mange to go under 6 wins they've got to strongly consider a coaching change.

Or his faith in a man that says "how high?" when JR says "jump"....,

I ask this to everyone: What has Rivera done to convince you he is a legitimate HC since arriving here?