tarheelpride

Logic is optional

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NC

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

http://www.washingto...702053.html?g=0

something needs to be done, but the question is what can be done? some of these problems go beyond someone using the system or not improving their conditions.

#2 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

It's really just basic economics. Those with less have to work harder to get what they want - just a fact of life. All that can be done is ensure the poor have a chance to make it better for themselves.

#3 Ounce

Ounce

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:58 PM

Oh please, this article was so severely biased and stupid it made me want to vomit. The terrible plight of the "poor" who live in the Washington DC area, one of the highest cost of living cities in our country. Of course you can't afford anything you idiot, everything is a rip off there. Take a damn hint and move somewhere (walk if you have to) that's a tad more reasonable and livable. I swear it really gets to me when these people living in New York, LA, DC, Boston, ect. bitch about how tough they have it and how hard it is to get by. If they had the same job and same pay living in say... Charlotte or San Antonio then they would be living a very comfortable life.

I can feel some remorse and sadness for those who are poor despite their best efforts and work; People who are poor simply because they are too stupid or stubborn to make the right decision deserve what they get.

#4 N1kkadeemuz

N1kkadeemuz

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

Oh please, this article was so severely biased and stupid it made me want to vomit. The terrible plight of the "poor" who live in the Washington DC area, one of the highest cost of living cities in our country. Of course you can't afford anything you idiot, everything is a rip off there. Take a damn hint and move somewhere (walk if you have to) that's a tad more reasonable and livable. I swear it really gets to me when these people living in New York, LA, DC, Boston, ect. bitch about how tough they have it and how hard it is to get by. If they had the same job and same pay living in say... Charlotte or San Antonio then they would be living a very comfortable life.

I can feel some remorse and sadness for those who are poor despite their best efforts and work; People who are poor simply because they are too stupid or stubborn to make the right decision deserve what they get.

Tonight before you eat dinner and shower, gather what you can, start walking down the street to the closest small town, find a job that has minimum wage, hope you have a dry warm place to lay your head, and then next week write back and tell us how assinine you feel for making stupid comments.

#5 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:12 PM

You must be a riot at parties.

#6 Ounce

Ounce

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

I apologize, perhaps I should have clarified or focused who my argument was towards (also the sarcasm was a tad thick at times incase that didn't come across...) I'm really venting more at the "working poor", people like the woman in that article who was a nurse making a pretty decent wage (15$ an hour is pretty decent, not rich but good) but complained about making ends meet. She is qualified for a job that can pay her well enough to live a good life in most parts of the country and yet she CHOOSES to stay in a city and place that forces her to be poor due to its outrageous costs.

#7 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

Moving cost money. And there are many reasons people can't just pick up and go somewhere else.

#8 MyDrunkardNC

MyDrunkardNC

Nervous Farter

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:44 PM

I apologize, perhaps I should have clarified or focused who my argument was towards (also the sarcasm was a tad thick at times incase that didn't come across...) I'm really venting more at the "working poor", people like the woman in that article who was a nurse making a pretty decent wage (15$ an hour is pretty decent, not rich but good) but complained about making ends meet. She is qualified for a job that can pay her well enough to live a good life in most parts of the country and yet she CHOOSES to stay in a city and place that forces her to be poor due to its outrageous costs.

But I wonder if she moved to NC, for instance, would her salary be cut in half -- since the cost of living is more affordable? So would she be in that much better shape?

#9 JeramiahCopperfield

JeramiahCopperfield

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:34 PM

With our monetary system, it is a fact there will be poor people. Simply not enough money to go around.

#10 Sheldon Wolowizard

Sheldon Wolowizard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:10 PM

I find this article to be a load of crap for the most part. They say that the poor pay more for services. Last time I checked, a gallon of milk that cost 4 bucks cost 4 bucks. The difference is the choice made in purchasing that gallon of milk. We are all faced with choices. We do without. There was a point at which I riding in the back of a Uhaul van to work in 10 below weather just to pay my bills. I made a choice. I worked, aquired skills, cut my spending to a bare minimum, and slowly worked my way up. Everyone is given a choice every day, and how we choose to live each day is what makes us rich or poor. I may come across as cold hearted and unfeeling, but I'm tired of hearing the rich be blamed for the poor's problems. I'm not rich, but I do believe that hard work and being frugal pays off.

#11 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,785 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:55 PM

I know, right!!!

I mean it's just so easy to just up and move nowadays it's such an opportunity that so many people overlook. I wonder why...

:rolleyes:

#12 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:59 PM

Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?

#13 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:43 AM

I've had no one come up to me and offer to lick my toes clean in what, 3 weeks?

My dad had to beat off toe lickers with a stick when I was a kid.

People today are so lazy....

#14 Ounce

Ounce

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:20 AM

I know, right!!!

I mean it's just so easy to just up and move nowadays it's such an opportunity that so many people overlook. I wonder why...

:rolleyes:

Are you in a backwards way implying that its actually...you know...hard work to pull one's self out of poverty? God I should hope not. Lets cut these folks a check ASAP so this problem is solved without anyone straining themselves

#15 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:51 AM

There is "hard" and there is "incredibly hard". Some people have the luck and some skills to do it, others do not.

We can go with the survival of the fittest model, or we can go with the "we are all in this together" model.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.