Photo
- - - - -

Is Rivera a real issue and GM thoughts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#16 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

Casserly is a weird case. He always comes across as very knowledgeable and his draft record with the Skins and Texans were overall pretty good (he sucked at selecting QBs though). Left the Texans when they were spinning their wheels through multiple seasons. Also won executive of the year at one point.

But you have to wonder why nobody has come knocking since then, as he's been in broadcasting now for quite a while.

RE: Rivera - I have yet to see anything at all that shows promise as a head coach. He still struggles with clock management, he struggles with timeouts, the Panthers have lacked in fundamentals since he got here and appear to be going the wrong direction, he was ok shifting to the crap offensive plan of this season, jettisoning a scheme that worked very well the season prior, he seems to really rely on his coordinators to call their side of the game with no input or guidance, his first draft class (with a few exceptions) looks horrible, and while I know it really doesn't matter that much and is a little cliche right now, I dislike his "wish I were somewhere else" stare into the middle distance demeanor while we're falling apart on the field. While I know the OP disagrees, the only really obvious good thing he's done was drafting Newton #1 overall.

His coordinator record speaks for itself, and I'm not bashing that.

For the GM search in general, we NEED to get someone who is excellent at evaluating talent. Not good, but excellent. We've missed on quite a few drafts now and really need to hit a couple of homeruns to re-stock. We're also in a little bit of cap trouble and will need to rely on picks more than some other teams until we right the ship.

Past that, I'm pretty ignorant about the whole GM thing. Just please get someone in who knows talent.

#17 Highlandfire

Highlandfire

There can be only one.

HUDDLER

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

Casserly is a weird case. He always comes across as very knowledgeable and his draft record with the Skins and Texans were overall pretty good (he sucked at selecting QBs though). Left the Texans when they were spinning their wheels through multiple seasons. Also won executive of the year at one point.

But you have to wonder why nobody has come knocking since then, as he's been in broadcasting now for quite a while.

RE: Rivera - I have yet to see anything at all that shows promise as a head coach. He still struggles with clock management, he struggles with timeouts, the Panthers have lacked in fundamentals since he got here and appear to be going to wrong direction, he was ok shifting to the crap offensive plan of this season, jettisoning a scheme that worked very well the season prior, he seems to really rely on his coordinators to call their side of the game with no input or guidance, his first draft class (except for a few exceptions) looks horrible, and while I know it really doesn't matter that much and is a little cliche right now, I really dislike his "wish I were somewhere else" stare into the middle distance demeanor while we're falling apart on the field. While I know the OP disagrees, the only really obvious good thing he's done was drafting Newton #1 overall.

His coordinator record speaks for itself, and I'm not bashing that.

For the GM search in general, we NEED to get someone who is excellent at evaluating talent. Not good, but excellent. We've missed on quite a few drafts now and really need to hit a couple of homeruns to re-stock. We're also in a little bit of cap trouble and will need to rely on picks more than some other teams until we right the ship.

Past that, I'm pretty ignorant about the whole GM thing. Just please get someone in who knows talent.

That is why I like Casserly, look at how his last draft with the Texans went 3 probowlers in one draft. He does have a really good eye for talent and I think that is what we need. And I don't mean the first rounders, we need to hit on 2nd- undrafted free agents and that is something Hurney has had issue with.

I have some concerns with Rivera as well. I want to believe this guy is the real deal but why did no one else pick him during the numerous interviews he had with various teams in regards to their HC positions? I am going to give him this year but he needs to step it up in the ways you are talking about or I feel he and the entire staff are canned after our last game.

#18 Snake

Snake

Rivera did What???

HUDDLER

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

We will see...

#19 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

HUDDLER

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

I just want to see what Rivera can do with a better offensive coordinator and scheme

#20 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

HUDDLER

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

I just don't buy this notion of Rivera being handcuffed before all this. He's shown nothing, even in the small details.

#21 j2sgam

j2sgam

cant beat the original...

HUDDLER

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

I had thought Rivera was interviewed so many times but not hired because he satisfied the Rooney Rule... At least thats the excuse I told myself... Could be more than that, in light of recent events...