Photo
- - - - -

Bad play call that has been overloooked.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,663 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

Is anyone else wondering why the heck we called the play that resulted in the pick-six for Chicago?

Chicago had just scored and cut our lead to 19-14. We get the ball back with about 4 minutes to go. We have the chance to kill some clock and possibly make a field goal and make it an 8 point game.

What do we do on the very first play? Chud dails up a very risky pass to Steve Smith. I don't think it's a terrible idea to be aggresive with a pass, but that play call was just too risky. If there is one mistake (an overthrow, corner jumping the route, a slip), it's 6 the other way...and that is exactly what happened.

The ineptitude of this coaching staff is mind boggling.

#2 Jesse

Jesse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

Pft, it is mind bottling.

#3 ShutDwn

ShutDwn

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

I asked why before they hiked the ball.

Gotta call a run play and get a few yards. The Chicago defense was getting tired against the run. They may have been energized on that but yea, a comeback is always risky for a pick six.

#4 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

For years, John Fox would get a lead and go super conservative as far as play calling. And everyone hated on him for it. So at least it's a change from that, fwiw...

#5 Panthers Nation

Panthers Nation

Swaggin on ducks on a daily basis.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

llullz

#6 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

I was furious when we lined up in shotgun during that situation.

#7 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,752 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

I have no problem with the play call, Chicago was playing the run and it's generally a "safe" pass.

#8 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,277 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

You knew the game was over as soon as the CB crossed the goal line. Despite the fact we still drove the field, on the road, and got a clutch FG from Medlock late, you still just knew, down deep in places you don't like to talk about at parties, you knew we were still toast.

#9 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

For years, John Fox would get a lead and go super conservative as far as play calling. And everyone hated on him for it. So at least it's a change from that, fwiw...

people will hate anything we do no matter what and think we should do something different. You just can't win over some fans.

#10 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

Also we weren't doing anything running on that defense. I liked that we were going to stay aggressive and try to go down and score again

#11 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,663 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

You knew the game was over as soon as the CB crossed the goal line. Despite the fact we still drove the field, on the road, and got a clutch FG from Medlock late, you still just knew, down deep in places you don't like to talk about at parties, you knew we were still toast.

Honestly, I knew it was over when that punt went 6 yards. It's like I could feel the negative vibes reverberating all the way from Chicago through my radio as I was driving down 40 west.

#12 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

it wasnt overlooked, I stated that in a number of different threads already.

#13 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,515 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

iirc on the gameday chat the board was flooded with "here we come run run run punt lose derp chudz" comments furious at the fact that we'd just run it on them when we were getting stuffed on every play.

it's like every play: you make it work, and you look like a genius. you flunk it, it's all coming down on your head.

and that pass was no riskier than any other. you don't get wide open against the bears D. cam and smitty have quick outs down to an art form... if there was a safe throw in that situation, it was that one.

not sure this is worth the attention it's getting.

#14 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,663 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

I disagree. Don't call an out-route on the play. Run a passing play, fine. But not an out route. Run a fugging slant or something.

Per Wikipedia, the great source for sports information ever:
"This route is used much more frequently near the end of each half, when a team is running their two-minute drill to preserve time on the clock, because as soon as the receiver catches the ball or after a short run after the catch, he should be able to get out of bounds, stopping the clock. Out and in routes are the most difficult routes to cover in man-to-man coverage, but can be dangerous plays to run because if the defender intercepts the pass, he will often have a clear path to the end zone."

#15 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

The long pass to Smitty in the end zone on 2nd & 8, with a little over 2mins to go, was even worse. We were already in field goal range, and one more 1st down would've pretty much ended the game. You don't pass the ball at that point in the game.

We were in the exact same situation against the Saints at home last year, and on 3rd & 2 we throw a deep pass to Smitty. SMH

It's like Chud doesn't learn from his mistakes. SMH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com