26 replies to this topic

#1 nctarheel0619

nctarheel0619

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

Dear Jason:

Thanks for making it look like I knew what I was talking about in 2003 when I unfairly dragged Donovan McNabb into a controversy I created to hype my multi-million-dollar radio show. Love the NFL Truths. Wish I knew football and cultural issues as well as you.

Rush

(I just thought this part was hilarious.)

Your NFL Truths for Week 9:

10. It’s not a coincidence that Cam Newton made significant progress last week. A competitor is inspired by criticism.

After throwing a game-changing, pick-6 interception in the fourth quarter on Sunday against the Bears, Newton marched the Panthers 53 yards in 11 plays for a go-ahead field goal. Panthers WR Steve Smith dropped a would-be, go-ahead TD catch. Smith also fell down on Newton’s pick-6.

In the postgame news conference after the Panthers' 23-22 loss, Newton sounded and looked like a leader rather than a crybaby looking to deflect blame.

Was he perfect on Sunday? No. When a teammate bailed him out with a fumble recovery in the end zone, Newton didn’t stick around to celebrate. He jogged to the bench and sat alone. Newton is a work in progress.

But you can’t bake a cake without turning on the heat. Shielding Newton from the heat with bogus claims of racism will only stop Newton’s cake from rising. Football, like life, is a game that humbles its participants. Newton needs to be humbled. It will toughen and season him. Humility will make him a better player. It will make him respect the game and add urgency to his preparation.

Everyone needs critics. They keep you honest and alert. They make you work harder. The people without a passionate band of critics are the people I don’t trust.

http://msn.foxsports...be-fired-103012

#2 Corporal Casto

Corporal Casto

Noob Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • LocationQueen City

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

Good read. Thank you.

#3 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

Cam's press conference > The Panthers losing record

As long as Cam is humble contrite and docile in his press conferences, he is being a leader despite how much our team sucks. LMAO. We're gonna teach Cam HOW to lose. If anybody knows how to, we do!

#4 BeasonBeastingBacks

BeasonBeastingBacks

Farewell Sweet Prince

• HUDDLER
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

This doesn't sound right. It sounds positive.

#5 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,398 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Not a big fan of Whitlock, but he's on the money on this one. I've noticed the same thing, and it tells me Newton is very coachable. When he is criticized, we always see a reaction from him in short order.

That's what makes me wonder what kind of coaching he's getting from Shula. Or maybe he's getting good coaching on fundamentals, but he falls back on bad habits in the heat of the moment. We may never know until we see the results of the inevitable changes coming this offseason.

#6 nctarheel0619

nctarheel0619

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

This doesn't sound right. It sounds positive.

Hence the reason I posted it, good sir. ;).

#7 nctarheel0619

nctarheel0619

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

Not a big fan of Whitlock, but he's on the money on this one. I've noticed the same thing, and it tells me Newton is very coachable. When he is criticized, we always see a reaction from him in short order.

That's what makes me wonder what kind of coaching he's getting from Shula. Or maybe he's getting good coaching on fundamentals, but he falls back on bad habits in the heat of the moment. We may never know until we see the results of the inevitable changes coming this offseason.

Only thing he needs to work on is footwork and his attitude after games. He needs to be more humbled. Besides that dude. Its fine. Accruacy will come with good footwork.

#8 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 3,993 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

Did Whitlock really need to bring up racism yet again?

#9 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Dude is basically the Jesse Lee Peterson of Foxsports. Thats his schtick.

#10 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,351 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

Good read.

#11 Vampire the buffet slayer

Vampire the buffet slayer

Fat Alice's Dietitian

• HUDDLER
  • 2,172 posts
  • Locationunder an aluminum hat

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

Why doesnt anyone ever bring up Chuds racism?

Obviously he's a card carrying Klans member.

#12 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,120 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

From what I've read of Whitlock's work, he doesn't play favorites. If you read him long enough, he will likely hit a nerve. So what? That is why I like his articles, they are more thought provoking than most of the sports drivel that passes for news these days.

Cam is getting a baptism by fire thanks to this disorganization we call the Carolina Panthers. The experience will either help make him damn near fireproof to unwarranted criticism or he will be slowly consumed by the flames.

#13 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,956 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Good stuff from Whitlock, agree 100% but the criticism of Cam's actions after the fumble is another example of people misunderstanding him... he jogged to the bench after the fumble because he was upset with himself.

#14 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

Did he really?

Man that gets old

#15 TonyN

TonyN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

Sunday was a great step forward for the Panthers. Newton's weird attitude was still evident on the field, but was markedly improved in the presser. By any objective measure, he did not play great or even good football, though. He wasn't downright brutal and the Panthers are getting to the point where they can win games with a pedestrian quarterback. A closer look at Carolina's final drive:

1st and 10 at CAR 20 D.Williams left end to CAR 21 for 1 yard (N.Collins). 2nd and 9 at CAR 21 (Shotgun) C.Newton pass incomplete short middle to S.Smith [I.Idonije]. PENALTY on CHI-I.Idonije, Roughing the Passer, 15 yards, enforced at CAR 21 - No Play. 1st and 10 at CAR 36 C.Newton pass short right to G.Barnidge pushed ob at CAR 43 for 7 yards (L.Briggs). 2nd and 3 at CAR 43 J.Stewart left tackle to CAR 45 for 2 yards (C.Tillman). 3rd and 1 at CAR 45 C.Newton right end pushed ob at CHI 39 for 16 yards (C.Tillman). 1st and 10 at CHI 39 D.Williams left guard to CHI 31 for 8 yards (I.Idonije; C.Conte). 2nd and 2 at CHI 31 (No Huddle) D.Williams left tackle to CHI 32 for -1 yards (I.Idonije). 3rd and 3 at CHI 32 (Shotgun) M.Tolbert right guard to CHI 29 for 3 yards (H.Melton). 1st and 10 at CHI 29 (Shotgun) J.Stewart left guard to CHI 27 for 2 yards (C.Conte). Timeout #2 by CHI at 02:43. 2nd and 8 at CHI 27 C.Newton pass incomplete deep left to S.Smith. 3rd and 8 at CHI 27 (Shotgun) C.Newton pass incomplete short right. 4th and 8 at CHI 27 (Field Goal formation) J.Medlock 45 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-J.Jansen, Holder-B.Nortman.

I don't know about Newton "marching the Panthers down the field", though.
He was 1 of 3 for 7 yards on the drive. Everything else was on the ground.
The biggest play of the drive was his 16 yard bootleg on 3rd and 1 on a fantastic call by "complete idiot" OC Chudzinski.
Pretty good drive by the worst offensive line in the universe if you ask me.

Sorry about the copy and paste job on the play by play...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.