- - - - -

Could Byron Bell be a franchise Left Tackle some day?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#11 Lumps

Lumps

Jase is butthurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationSouth Charlotte
HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

but I thought Bell sucked his rookie year and won't amount to anything...

where are all the Bell haters?

#12 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

I think so. As good as Bell is as a RT, the RT is a position that needs to be the run blocker, while your LT is your pass blocker. Bell is a much better pass blocker than run blocker because he is an upright technique player, meaning he can stand straight and push the defender off of him. He isn't the type of player to get low and shove his defender off the ball like a true run blocker should.

Honestly, as good as he has been at RT, I think he could be even better at LT. Guy could be a star.

#13 Mage

Mage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

No.

#14 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Read an interesting article today about this very switch.

It may surprise people but switching from one side to the other is a very tough ask for a player to make. According to current OLinemen in the NFL it's much easier to switch to guard than to move from LT to RT or vice versa. So any switch should be very carefully considered to avoid completely ruining one or two players progression.

For the record, gross is playing just fine in both the running and passing game. We don't really need to start grooming a player yet, he should still have several years in the league and when he does wind down just get a first round pick, as they have very high success rates over the last 5 or so years. Gross remains our best lineman in both the passing and running game and has been since he moved to LT.

#15 GamecockSmitty4

GamecockSmitty4

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

He would be lucky to make the two deep on most teams in the NFL..

#16 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
Guests

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Here's a Bell hater!

#17 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

but I thought Bell sucked his rookie year and won't amount to anything...

where are all the Bell haters?

found one.

#18 GamecockSmitty4

GamecockSmitty4

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

Not a Bell hater. Just realistic. I would love for him to turn out to be great. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. He was not drafted for a reason. He's not very good. I will give him that he is not as awful at being penalized. It sucked so much last year watching him get false start after false start and holding penalties that killed drives. He has also gotten slightly better at blocking, but not much. He has a LONG way to go to be a quality starter.

#19 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
Guests

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Not a Bell hater. Just realistic. I would love for him to turn out to be great. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. He was not drafted for a reason. He's not very good. I will give him that he is not as awful at being penalized. It sucked so much last year watching him get false start after false start and holding penalties that killed drives. He has also gotten slightly better at blocking, but not much. He has a LONG way to go to be a quality starter.

Hahaha you don't watch the Panthers at all do you? Bell has easily been our best offensive linemen this season and has a lot more room to go.

You know absolutely nothing about talent evaluation or the draft if you think the reason he went undrafted is because he sucks. Why don't you go tell Victor Cruz that?

You just want to put a Cock at tackle because you're a raging Cock homer/Bell hater.

#20 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

I guess Kurt Warner isn't any good since he wasn't drafted. You know, sometimes it's the fact that players weren't drafted that elevates their game.

Bell does have a long way to go, and if you read my post on the first page, you'll see why his run blocking isn't the best. He's a standing technique blocker. Those are best utilized as LTs, because of their ability to stand up and pass block.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users