28 replies to this topic

#16 osd22

osd22

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationNo. 1 Panthers Fan in Deutschland

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Most FGs don´t get blocked and Medlock has a strong leg. I see your point but I still think the call was absolutely right. As we all had to see in the last weeks you do not win games when you are scared of "risky" calls.

#17 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

I liked the call... Failed to make that call in games that it could have made a difference. Good to see him get the chance when it really didn't matter. Too bad it was blocked though. Would have loved for Rivera to gain some confidence from that distance

#18 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 12,711 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

I agree with going for the field goal, I cannot however endorse Rivera going full retard with our timeouts.

#19 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,570 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Right call...

#20 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

People like you whined last week when we didn't go for it and here you are whining when we did attempt the fg. Wtf

this is such a stupid argument

#21 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,573 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

I think it was a do either choice..I would have punted just to run time and the Defense was destroying the Washington front 7. Push.

Chicago the swirling winds was a great reason not to go for it but I would have. rivera shoulda gone for the fg.

In ATl I would have punted instead of going for it on 4th down. The right choice.

Enjoy the win...but I am concerned with the two Shanks Nortman was responsible for.

#22 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,377 posts

Absolutely you go for the FG. 50 yards or less is a makeable distance for most NFL kickers, and you always go for the points when the opportunity presents itself.

#23 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,672 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

I loved the call. Always would want to go for the FG in that situation.

That being said, I do wonder if it's an issue with our blocking as to why Rivera didn't want to do it in similar situations before.

Medlock was hitting 60 yarders in practice in the preseason and had a career long of 57 in the CFL, I seriously doubt his trajectory is the problem.

#24 AR-15 Panther

AR-15 Panther

Cough "Here" Cough

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Why would we not go for that fg, damned if you do damned if ya dont.

#25 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,405 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

I don't have a problem with it.

Actually have a bigger problem with the long pass we threw before the fg attempt. A run or a nice short pass that would have made it a easier fg attempt, and kept the clock moving would have been better imo.

I loved that aggressive throw, was glad to see it and Cam placed it well so there was little chance of an int.

#26 osd22

osd22

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationNo. 1 Panthers Fan in Deutschland

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

Enjoy the win...but I am concerned with the two Shanks Nortman was responsible for.

I am as well but I assume these are simply rookie mistakes. Most of his punts are good or great. He´ll be fine.

#27 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,672 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

As someone pointed out in the game chat, I think it's because they're asking him to directional kick it, or rugby punt it...

On the replay at the end of the game where he got ran into, you can clearly see him dropping the nose of the ball down when making contact... So, I think it's because he's not comfortable with that style of punting.

#28 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Yeah I felt like I was the only one in the chat wanting to punt, or maybe even go for it. With the long missed FG attempt, they got the ball on the hold, not the line of scrimmage. At least if we went for it and missed, the Skins would lose the extra 7 (or more) yards they'd get from the missed FG. There wasn't a lot to gain other than 3 possession game.

With a punt, you put them inside their own 20 and they have to drive the length of the field. They hadn't scored a TD on us up to this point. Yes, a FG would have made it a 3 possession game but being backed up inside the 20 down 2 possession with just over 2 mins is a difficult task. Clearly, much more difficult than what they were dealt.

Luckily, it didn't hurt us. And really, I still felt semi-confident we'd win given the missed FG but the punt would have been a better situation.

#29 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

I loved that aggressive throw, was glad to see it and Cam placed it well so there was little chance of an int.

Didn't care about an interception. In truth, an interception wouldn't have hurt us any more than the incomplete pass did.

Stopping the clock bothered me. With 9 minutes left, thats a good play. With 5 minutes and a 15 point lead though, we needed run time off the clock.

Fortunately, the Skins are pretty bad so it didn't matter. They took forever to score their only td, had to use a timeout, so our failure to run more time off the clock didn't matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.