22 replies to this topic

#11 Awesomeness!!

Awesomeness!!

BangBang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationArizona
HUDDLER

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

I understand your statements but there is a slight problem there. Within the Republican party, life, for instance is very important, the old and the unborn.

All repubs believe this, but not all are radical like a few. Same goes with Dems as some are for any abortion at any time for any reason.

Yet the media will portray Romney or whomever the nominee is as the worst of the worst. Ron Paul would have been portrayed as a huge racists because of some emails from his past. He was not, but at the end of the day, he would have been branded that way. Sifting through what is right and wrong about statements is something the electorate as a whole does not take the time to do.

The Media already TRIED to brand Paul as a racist..didn't work. The GOP rejected him and nominated Romney because he was a tool that would say anything to get elected, which is all the GOP cared about this go around. People weren't buying that crap.

I'm "Pro-Life". We had a pregnancy scare this summer. I knew that if she had the baby, I probably wouldn't go going back to school anytime soon, but I was ok with that. It actually scared me how quickly my views on abortion changed. We talked about an abortion, and I love my girl friend to death, but I told her I would never talk to her again if she got an abortion. Luckily she wasn't pregnant. The point being you can be strongly personally opposed to it, but I wouldn't stop anybody from doing it, not even her. Whats wrong with that?

#12 davos

davos

€∞€∞€∞€

• LocationCO
HUDDLER

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Helluva post SCP

Bottom line: the GOP hasn't learned how to broaden its social tent and its going to continue to be their biggest problem.

Its not their unwillingness to socially adapt because they honestly don't need to, but their unwillingness to accept the conservatives that have moved on with social issues. People continue to laugh at the idea that a majority of the 20-30s are socially liberal while fiscally conservative but really that's who they're ignoring. Their alienation of a potentially large chunk of people in this country lost them the past 2 presidential elections. A Huntsman or Jeb type could have won this election for the GOP

The problem is their perceived base can't even accept a moderate on their own side anymore for really no reason other than how much they hate the other side or think the other guy is far too left. "You better believe in every one of these fundamental views or get lost"

It's harder to keep a steady float in the middle and it makes them angry that people propose such notions, but produces a hell of a lot better results.

The people of this country need to realize that congress is just as if not more important than that one position in the Executive branch. We need to start electing better at the local levels who represent us if you want significant change.

#13 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

If Paul had been the nominee, you would have seen stuff like you never saw because he was not close. The media spent their efforts to make Romney, who is probably further left than McCain, seem like Barry Goldwater. The media knew their target. They were successful in making Romney a back in chains, back to the alley kind of guy. You even beleive it.

I personally do not like abortion as a form of convenience for people who might not be ready for parenthood, but am not gullable enough to think everyone is like me. Medicine is medicine and if the mom is in trouble healthwise, then things might have to be done.

Now, I would be labled as a lunatic who wants to take the vote away from women and kick them out of their jobs. It is just the nature of the beast in politics.

#14 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

HUDDLER

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

how in god's name did "the media" make romney out to be like goldwater?

#15 davos

davos

€∞€∞€∞€

• LocationCO
HUDDLER

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

If Paul had been the nominee, you would have seen stuff like you never saw because he was not close. The media spent their efforts to make Romney, who is probably further left than McCain, seem like Barry Goldwater. The media knew their target. They were successful in making Romney a back in chains, back to the alley kind of guy. You even beleive it.

I agree but its as much if not more the party itself doing this than the media

They took a Rockefellar conservative robot and asked him to be a Neo-Conservative Tider

They need to find a type that can at least come across as acting like himself without the fear of scaring away the moderates. Hard to find nowadays on both sides.

The thing with the dems though is that they can come across as more socially connectable and that's a huuuge advantage in the information age.

#16 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

Posted Image

#17 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• LocationMatthews, NC
Administrators

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

BO might want to get that blueface thing checked out.

#18 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Why does Michelle have to ride in the back?

#19 TruthVsComfort

TruthVsComfort

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Well said OP. If the GOP thinks that things will be more in their favor simply because it won't be Obama running for President in 4 years, they are in for another big let down. The changing demographics in this country will continue to benefit the democrats as a party. Less old angry white guys to vote Republican, while minorities continue to grow for Democrats.

#20 Catalyst

Catalyst

• LocationMorehead City
HUDDLER

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

It's not just minorities, though. It's the youth vote - and not even the youth vote anymore, anyone under the age of 35 is voting heavily democratic, even in most red states. They can talk about Hispanics all they want, but the fact is the youth vote problem is what's going to come back to bite them.

It's only about 8-12 years away from today's "youth vote" becoming tomorrow's mainstream electorate. I've heard it said before that the millennials will likely vote against George W. Bush for the next 30 years the same way the boomers voted against Jimmy Carter for the last 30.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users