15 replies to this topic

#1 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:52 AM

That was quicker than I thought....I guess Calipari wanted to let Meeks know he has a home and doesn't need him to go to the NBA

http://www.cbssports.../story/11789509

#2 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:07 AM

"I would have liked to have played and helped, but with coach leaving, sometimes it just happens that way," Williams said.

This guy is the one who is bitter...

I do find it interesting that Calipari was believed to be out of town when all this happened..so he got his asst. coaches to do his dirty work for him??

#3 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:28 AM

This guy is the one who is bitter...

I do find it interesting that Calipari was believed to be out of town when all this happened..so he got his asst. coaches to do his dirty work for him??

In the guys defense, I would be pretty pissed too. The University made a commitment to him when they decided to allow him to represent their University. I'm sure he's worked his butt off for however long he's been there to better himself as a student and as an athlete, which in turn reflects, most likely, positively on the school.

And if Calipari did have his assistants kick these guys off the team, then that sure says a lot about him.

#4 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:05 PM

"I appreciate Coach Calipari and the staff being truthful with me," Stewart said in a statement. "I want to further my career both academically and athletically at a school where more playing time is available. I know that coach will do anything possible to find a great situation for me."

Stewart had some rocky moments under former coach Billy Gillispie. At one point he quit the team after playing only three minutes against South Carolina, then reconsidered and was allowed to return only after Gillispie met with the team about it.

*shrug*

#5 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

I'm sure he's worked his butt off for however long he's been there to better himself as a student and as an athlete, which in turn reflects, most likely, positively on the school.

Why are you sure about that?

#6 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

Because it would support his stance :)

#7 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:31 PM

Since I don't follow Kentucky basketball and was unsure about the player in question, I was just assuming he would have been fulfilling the requirements that would be required of a player with a high division I scholarship.

Now it's possible that he could've had a terrible work ethic and never went to class, but I try to never assume anything bad about someone unless given a reason to.

#8 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

In Cals defense tho...If that class were coming to NCSU I wouldn't bat an eye at taking a scholarship from some of the guys who haven't positively contributed to the team. It isn't as if you qualify for a scholarship as a HS senior then can loaf, not improve, and expect to hold off a more talented player...

#9 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:09 PM

In Cals defense tho...If that class were coming to NCSU I wouldn't bat an eye at taking a scholarship from some of the guys who haven't positively contributed to the team. It isn't as if you qualify for a scholarship as a HS senior then can loaf, not improve, and expect to hold off a more talented player...

Exactly. There are a ton of students who would love to have the free rides these guys get. The ones who sit on the end of the bench really shouldn't bitch. Now if it's a guy who has worked his ass off to come back from an injury or something like that, then I agree...shame on the coach. But not in this situation.

#10 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:28 PM

So waiver wires are OK for anybody but UNC? You guys have ragged Butch Davis from the start about some of the players he's ditched, all the while ignoring the same situations at your school.

#11 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

So waiver wires are OK for anybody but UNC? You guys have ragged Butch Davis from the start about some of the players he's ditched, all the while ignoring the same situations at your school.

I don't blame Butch Davis for doing anything that he does...he needs to make that program better. Does it look bad in the public eye? Definitely. But its a necessary evil...

#12 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:07 PM

In the fine print of every NCAA scholarship is a notation that a grant-in-aid is a one-year contract that is renewable or nonrenewable based on the whim of the school that issues it.

#13 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:14 PM

Exactly. There are a ton of students who would love to have the free rides these guys get. The ones who sit on the end of the bench really shouldn't bitch. Now if it's a guy who has worked his ass off to come back from an injury or something like that, then I agree...shame on the coach. But not in this situation.

If the guy(s) thats losing his scholarship has worked hard and stayed in good academic standing, then he does have the right to bitch. When he accepted that scholarship from them there was the understanding that as long as he worked hard on the court and remained in good academic standing that his scholarship would be renewed.

Had he known that if the school was going to give his scholarship to someone with more talent even if he was still doing everything he was suppose to, then he probably would've never accepted the scholarship to begin with.

For once I'm going to have to agree with Htar on something. This is the same thing that people have been talking about concerning Butch Davis and UNC football.

#14 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

If the guy(s) thats losing his scholarship has worked hard and stayed in good academic standing, then he does have the right to bitch. When he accepted that scholarship from them there was the understanding that as long as he worked hard on the court and remained in good academic standing that his scholarship would be renewed.

Had he known that if the school was going to give his scholarship to someone with more talent even if he was still doing everything he was suppose to, then he probably would've never accepted the scholarship to begin with.

For once I'm going to have to agree with Htar on something. This is the same thing that people have been talking about concerning Butch Davis and UNC football.

When coaches and ADs jobs hang in the balance you don't hesitate to make your team better. I'm not saying that you have to force a kid out without any options. Sidney did something to the same effect last year when he told Marquez Johnson that he was not going to see much playing time during the 09 season. He found a new school for him at Georgia Southern and now Marquez is playing down there.

As long as the coach doesn't just say "ok you're cut" and that is the end of it I have no problem with trying to make a team better. Cal should (and probably will) help those kids he "cut" to find a different place to play. Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, the guys are pretty realistic and if they have seen minimal minutes in the years they have been there (possibly due to injuries) they understand their time could be limited. Scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis...its not written in stone that once you sign on, you are there for 4 years.

#15 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

When coaches and ADs jobs hang in the balance you don't hesitate to make your team better. I'm not saying that you have to force a kid out without any options. Sidney did something to the same effect last year when he told Marquez Johnson that he was not going to see much playing time during the 09 season. He found a new school for him at Georgia Southern and now Marquez is playing down there.

As long as the coach doesn't just say "ok you're cut" and that is the end of it I have no problem with trying to make a team better. Cal should (and probably will) help those kids he "cut" to find a different place to play. Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, the guys are pretty realistic and if they have seen minimal minutes in the years they have been there (possibly due to injuries) they understand their time could be limited. Scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis...its not written in stone that once you sign on, you are there for 4 years.

OK, I can agree with you that if the coach goes out and helps find the player another school then it's not too bad.

But the only thing I want to add is that while its not written in stone that you will be there for 4 years, I would imagine that it's pretty much assumed that as long as you do everything that you're suppose to that you're scholarship will be renewed.

And if you start to not renew a lot of scholarships I could see it start to hurt your recruiting. Athletes will see that if they aren't one of the best 6 or 7 players that they will have to worry about whether they will be allowed to come back or not.

At least that's something I would look at and consider if I were a recruit anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.