25 replies to this topic

#1 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 15,643 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:33 AM

And President Bush's third term continues.

http://news.yahoo.co...pe/us_us_iraq_6

WASHINGTON – The Pentagon is prepared to leave fighting forces in Iraq for as long as a decade despite an agreement between the United States and Iraq that would bring all American troops home by 2012, the top U.S. Army officer said Tuesday.

Gen. George Casey, the Army chief of staff, said the world remains dangerous and unpredictable, and the Pentagon must plan for extended U.S. combat and stability operations in two wars. "Global trends are pushing in the wrong direction," Casey said. "They fundamentally will change how the Army works."

He spoke at an invitation-only briefing to a dozen journalists and policy analysts from Washington-based think-tanks. He said his planning envisions combat troops in Iraq and Afghanistan for a decade as part of a sustained U.S. commitment to fighting extremism and terrorism in the Middle East.
Casey's calculations about force levels are related to his attempt to ease the brutal deployment calendar that he said would "bring the Army to its knees."

Casey would not specify how many combat units would be split between Iraq and Afghanistan. He said U.S. ground commander Gen. Ray Odierno is leading a study to determine how far U.S. forces could be cut back in Iraq and still be effective.

President Barack Obama plans to bring U.S. combat forces home from Iraq in 2010, and the United States and Iraq have agreed that all American forces would leave by 2012. Although several senior U.S. officials have suggested Iraq could request an extension, the legal agreement the two countries signed last year would have to be amended for any significant U.S. presence to remain.

As recently as February, Defense Secretary Robert Gates reiterated the U.S. commitment to the agreement worked out with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.

"Under the Status of Forces Agreement with the Iraqi government, I intend to remove all U.S. troops from Iraq by the end of 2011," Gates said during an address at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. "We will complete this transition to Iraqi responsibility, and we will bring our troops home with the honor that they have earned."

The United States currently has about 139,000 troops in Iraq and 52,000 in Afghanistan.

Obama campaigned on ending the Iraq war as quickly as possible and refocusing U.S. resources on what he called the more important fight in Afghanistan.

I guess we'll start calling them "freedom troops" so we can say that all the combat troops are home, right?

#2 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:35 AM

Oh good.

#3 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,943 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

Ready to leave does not equal going to leave.

I am ready to bang Shania Twain, doesn't mean I am actually going to bang her.

That being said, I fully expect a long term US presence in Iraq, albeit a much smaller one than currently exist. Say a couple thousand troops or so.

#4 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:49 AM

Shania Twain? Really?

#5 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

Shania Twain? Really?

Shania is freaky.

#6 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,943 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

Shania Twain? Really?

Been my dream girl for a long time, just because she is showing a bit of age doesn't mean my fantasies have changed. :)

#7 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:18 PM

Maybe an Obamafan can educate me on how this is any different than what that goober Bush was gonna do.

Except for the rhetoric.

With that said, Obama likely wouldn't have got us in the mess in Iraq in the first place.
Once there, we pretty much have no choice but to police it up right until we (mostly) leave. Until the next crazy guy/former puppet steps up and takes over.

#8 LiQuiD

LiQuiD

Plumb Crazy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

Personally, I can't see a difference superficially. Maybe there's more to it than what we've read, but staying in Iraq past the agreed upon deadline is definitely contradictory to what we've heard.

#9 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

Personally, I can't see a difference superficially. Maybe there's more to it than what we've read, but staying in Iraq past the agreed upon deadline is definitely contradictory to what we've heard.

See...

* Closing Gitmo
* Giving tax breaks to 95 percent of Americans

#10 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:34 PM

Things change when you have to wear the big boy pants...All that political spin on the campaign trail means squat to all but those smart enough to get the big picture. The POTUS is privy to information that most of us can't imagine and their responsibilities are greater than probably anyone in the world. Their policies usually change when they recognize that fact...They are still human and capable of mistakes and big fuggups, though.

#11 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 17,716 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

Don't go hatin on Obama...

#12 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 44,743 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

Obama campaigned on ending the Iraq war as quickly as possible and refocusing U.S. resources on what he called the more important fight in Afghanistan.

If you believed him and voted for him because of this...

Posted Image

#13 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 17,716 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

Obama lied...people died.

Where's that death toll on the news nowadays...

#14 Speed

Speed

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

And President Bush's third term continues.

http://news.yahoo.co...pe/us_us_iraq_6

I guess we'll start calling them "freedom troops" so we can say that all the combat troops are home, right?

Nah. They will take away their weapons, dress them all like Capt. Kangaroo and fill their pockets with candy and corans.

#15 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,943 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:51 PM

In fairness, during the campaign, he did leave open the option of troops staying in Iraq.

But, this is a General saying we could if we needed to. Thats quite a bit different from the administration saying we will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.