142 replies to this topic

#121 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,206 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Oh, look, once again the film shows that all the people screaming that Cam has to get the ball out quicker have no idea just how enormously retarded our playcalling is.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU, ZOD.

#122 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,603 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

Oh, look, once again the film shows that all the people screaming that Cam has to get the ball out quicker have no idea just how enormously retarded our playcalling is.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU, ZOD.

why can't it be both? just because that wasn't the case in that scenario doesn't mean it's not the case often.

the playcalling sucks AND the OL sucks AND cam needs to be smarter and get the ball out quicker.

#123 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

What I find most telling about those caps?

In typical Chud fashion, there is no one out on a short hot route in spite of Newton being constantly pressured and throwing from the end zone.

It's like staking a goat to a tree overnight and being surprised the lion ate it.

Yep, pretty much setting Cam up for failure.

#124 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,367 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

One other amazing thing about those caps.

We had 7 blockers in the end zone with Newton to defend against 4 Broncos, and they still got to him.

That is what I was saying in an earlier post and you are absolutely right.

And in the second half we did that a bunch, not just on that play. Our front 5 could not stop them when they sent 4 or 5 guys at Cam so we had at least 6 and usually 7 guys staying in to block leaving 3 WRs to try to get open against 6 or 7 guys in coverage. Shockingly it didn't work very well.

Broncos didn't do anything special on Sunday. They just lined up and beat us with 4 or 5 guys. If you can do that no QB has much of a chance.

#125 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Cam vindicated.
Not that he needed it.

#126 TonyN

TonyN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Thanks.

Looks like 2 go routes on the outside and a drag across the middle.

All 3 of which were covered or not developed when Cam was sacked.

Thus

GTFO TonyN

Oh, boy this is tough...except it's NOT...

The two sideline routes have obviously been broken off by the receivers after the football does not come out...

Take a look at the flanker at the top of the screen....notice how far from the sideline he begins his pattern and how far form the side line he is when he makes a decision to "fly"...this is clearly an out route and the ball does not get thrown...

Why does he decide to go deep???...look at the coverage...

Why TWO sideline routes from your own endzone???

Because the quarterback can simply unload the football out of bounds to either sideline...and thus NOT take an inexcusable sack...

There is an open receiver right in the soft spot of the zone coverage...just as there should be...

Would it take a LASER to get him the ball...no, of course not...just a ball thrown with a little touch over the two linebackers who are essentally out of the play at this point and in front of the deep saftey...

Take a stop watch and tell me how much time Newton has to throw on this play...I don't care how good your O-line is...you cannot block NFL pass rushers for 7+ seconds consistantaly...even keeping two extra men in for protection....

Thanks for posting these pics...Far from "vindicating" Cam Newton, they show without a shadow of a doubt that the sack was no one's fault but HIS...

#127 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,206 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

The two sideline routes have obviously been broken off by the receivers after the football does not come out...

Take a look at the flanker at the top of the screen....notice how far from the sideline he begins his pattern and how far form the side line he is when he makes a decision to "fly"...this is clearly an out route and the ball does not get thrown...

Because the quarterback can simply unload the football out of bounds to either sideline...and thus NOT take an inexcusable sack...

There is an open receiver right in the soft spot of the zone coverage...just as there should be...

Would it take a LASER to get him the ball...no, of course not...just a ball thrown with a little touch over the two linebackers who are essentally out of the play at this point and in front of the deep saftey...

Take a stop watch and tell me how much time Newton has to throw on this play...I don't care how good your O-line is...you cannot block NFL pass rushers for 7+ seconds consistantaly...even keeping two extra men in for protection....

Thanks for posting these pics...Far from "vindicating" Cam Newton, they show without a shadow of a doubt that the sack was no one's fault but HIS...

Is that you, Karl Rove? Tell me again how Ohio is looking. . .

#128 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

4.5 seconds on a 3rd and 19 where his underneath "quick" option didn't break on his route until he was 18 yards down the field. Newton was hit just as his underneath route turned his head to the QB because the offensive line you trumpet as being so good couldn't defend a four man rush - even with some added help. Both sideline routes were completely blanketed.

Here you go - to help you count.

You also would have had a post going 2 minutes later if he'd thrown it out of bounds, bemoaning his inability to convert on 3rd down.

#129 ShutDwn

ShutDwn

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Cam will hold on too long, but I don't think he's just sitting there staring at open receivers. If he saw guys getting open quickly don't you think he'd throw it quickly? Nobody was open on that three step drop that resulted in a sack. People get mad about not throwing it on that play, but if you had to chose between an INT and a sack...

This whole offense has been about getting down the field since last year.

Bigger problems:

1) he's not allowed to audible and get out of obviously bad calls

When have you seen them change a play call? From run to pass and vice versa? What about a hot read with a receiver? You have to be able to change hot reads with a blitz coming. There isn't an offense in the NFL that can go out and beat defenses without the option to change plays. It might cost the team on some misreads but it's going to cost the team when you know the defense is prepared for your play. The big question is can he do this?

2) he needs to learn how to manipulate defenses with his eyes.

Holding onto the ball can't be solely looking for an open receiver he has to be creating the open receiver. That goes along with the first point of identifying what the defense is doing. If he can do that then he will know how to look off safeties and pump fake DBs out of position.

It's time to take the training wheels of with him and let him make calls at the LOS and beat the defense before the ball is even snapped.

#130 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,515 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

4.5 seconds on a 3rd and 19 where his underneath "quick" option didn't break on his route until he was 18 yards down the field. Newton was hit just as his underneath route turned his head to the QB because the offensive line you trumpet as being so good couldn't defend a four man rush - even with some added help. Both sideline routes were completely blanketed.

You also would have had a post going 2 minutes later if he'd thrown it out of bounds, bemoaning his inability to convert on 3rd down.

Thank you for saving me a long drawn out post.

#131 TonyN

TonyN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

First of all I have never said that Carolina's offensive line is "good"...just that it is not nearly as bad as some screamin' mimi's on this forum have suggested...

The slot receiver is not really making a "cut"...he is simply feeling for the soft spot in the zone coverage...go back and look at the stills again...after Newton checks off his initial read...or if the look was a disguise...he can go with the football over the top of the linebackers to the inside of the slot receiver at any point in the play after about 1.5 seconds....instead he somewaht nonchalantly looks off that receiver as well and looks to the other outside receiver...

At this point He JUST HAS TO FEEL THE PRESSURE and unload the football...

The topside flanker has a decent cushion right before his break, but whether or not this existed at the point Newton checked to him is unclear...

But it does not matter...Newton can just unload the football out of bounds at this point...no harm, no foul...

And LOL...Newton's woes on third down are NOT the result of many 3rd and 19 situations...

Check out his stats on, say, 3rd and < 6 or 3rd and 3-7...brutal...

And if you get 4.5 seconds with a clean pocket from your own end zone...

You CANNOT take a saftey...

#132 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,367 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

There was also supposed to be a check down that never made it out there. I am not sure whether he missed the call or just got trapped inside, but there was supposed to be a guy outside and short for a checkdown if needed.

#133 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

There was also supposed to be a check down that never made it out there. I am not sure whether he missed the call or just got trapped inside, but there was supposed to be a guy outside and short for a checkdown if needed.

Yeah, Tolbert was one of those 7 Panthers milling around in the end zone. He was supposed to leak out, but for whatever reason decided to stay back with the others. I can't say he stayed in to block, because whatever those 7 guys were doing couldn't be called blocking.

#134 broseidon

broseidon

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationYour daughters dorm room

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

Everyone will be a lot happier when this offense starts producing.

Only then will people stop judging every little thing that Cam says or does

#135 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

why can't it be both? just because that wasn't the case in that scenario doesn't mean it's not the case often.

the playcalling sucks AND the OL sucks AND cam needs to be smarter and get the ball out quicker.

Get the ball out quicker to receivers that are running 15 yard routes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com