• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:00 PM

California has the first governor of Austrian descent.

Put another shrimp on the barbi!

#17 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,414 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

From Random House dictionary.

Latino - a person of Latin-American or Spanish-speaking descent.

#18 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

:coolgleamA:

Posted Image

Is all your geographical terminology hundreds of years old?

#19 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,484 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:05 PM

I lu you Mi-hami!!!!!!!!!!!

#20 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,605 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

California has the first governor of Austrian descent.

Put another shrimp on the barbi!

U very clever Lound eye.

#21 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:09 PM

From Random House dictionary.

Latino - a person of Latin-American or Spanish-speaking descent.

^^^may be correct by "American" definition but certainly not through history before western colonization.

#22 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,414 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

^^^may be correct by "American" definition but certainly not through history before western colonization.

I don't think there were latino's before Western colonization, especially if it only includes spanish speaking peoples in central and south america.

I imagine that before the West (Spain and Portugal) colonized central and south america, the people that lived there didn't call themselves latinos. :)

#23 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,484 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

I know one thing. Latino food in Miami kicks ass. Empanadas and croquetas are the sh*t! Ropa vieja is unbelievably awesome. And don't get me started on Cuban coffee. Holy sh*t!!!

#24 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,307 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:15 PM

I know one thing. Latino food in Miami kicks ass. Empanadas and croquetas are the sh*t! Ropa vieja is unbelievably awesome. And don't get me started on Cuban coffee. Holy sh*t!!!

Cuban hole-in-the-walls in Hollywood are pretty dang good too. One in Tampa as well right off of Dale Mabry.

#25 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

Latin-language member of the Italic subfamily of the Indo-European family of languages. Latin was first encountered in ancient times as the language of Latium, the region of central Italy in which Rome is located (see Italic languages ). Roman conquests later spread Latin throughout Italy and the vast Roman Empire. Numerous documents, such as Latin inscriptions and literary works, furnish much information about the language, as do the comments of ancient scholars and various related dialects and languages. After the ancient Romans began to develop a literature (in the 3d cent. BC), a gap emerged between literary, or classical, Latin and Vulgar Latin, which was the popular (spoken) form of the language. This division had become considerable by the beginning of the Roman Empire. It is especially from Vulgar Latin, carried by the soldiers and colonists of Rome throughout the Roman Empire, that the modern Romance languages are descended.

http://www.encyclope...n_language.aspx

#26 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:42 PM

I don't think there were latino's before Western colonization, especially if it only includes spanish speaking peoples in central and south america.

I imagine that before the West (Spain and Portugal) colonized central and south america, the people that lived there didn't call themselves latinos. :)

It's funny you should say that because a lot of Latin Americans reject being called one.

http://www.experienc...erica/id/594811

In the United States of America, the term Latino refers loosely to any person of Latin American origin living in the U.S. It is typically contrasted with Anglo-American and/or African-American in common speech. More widely it is occasionally used to denote anyone who speaks (or whose national or ethnic origin is traditionally associated with) the languages
derived from Latin. This meaning, however, is very uncommon in US usage, since it is generally thought to refer specifically to Latin America, and not to Latin or Latium (as is the case elsewhere).

Recently, Mexican-descent organizations such as the Mexica Movement have challenged the legitimacy of the newly-introduced term of "Latino" on the grounds of its non-applicability to people who are non-European. Since the term Latino refers to Latin Europe and its descendents, people of American indigenous descent are necessarily excluded from such a term. The heavy promotion of the term Latino by European-descent Cubans in Miami onto the much larger Mexican population that is non-European, has fueled sharp critiques of the term as it is currently applied. Given that approximately 10% of Mexico's population continues to speak an indigenous language as its mother tongue, the Latino moniker is especially problematic. The media application of the term "Latino" in conjunction with non-Latino patrimony images (such as Aztec and Mayan pyramids) promises to stir debate about an "umbrella" term encompassing people of separate races and separate civilizations.

http://www.carolinah...=1&d=1243460519

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.