Photo
- - - - -

B1G expansion?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#13 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Thought this was interesting.

Posted Image
from this article http://www.grantland...aryland-rutgers

#14 theyhateme45

theyhateme45

360 GT = Shino45

HUDDLER

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Does this actually happen? Not calling you out or anything I just hear this argument every time a team leaves a conference, but I dont actually know of a team that made a big jump in recruiting and winning after moving to a new conference.

Texas a&m recruiting have improved

#15 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

HUDDLER

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Does this actually happen? Not calling you out or anything I just hear this argument every time a team leaves a conference, but I dont actually know of a team that made a big jump in recruiting and winning after moving to a new conference.

I think so. Big 10 is big time football. If we aren't attracting superior out of state talent, at least we can secure our in-state talent. In the graphic you attached, you can see Maryland produces a decent amount of talent, yet UMD gets maybe one 4-star Maryland prospect per year. The rest leave the state.

If you're a 5-star propsect in Maryland now, you will either go to Penn State to play in the B1G, or if you're going to stay in the crap-fest that is ACC football, you'll at least go to a competitive program in VT. If MD is in the B1G, and you can stay local while still playing Big 10 football, of course you're going to stay.

I forsee a huge jump in talent because we will finally be able to keep our stars in house.

#16 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

HUDDLER

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Right, the problem was the ACC and not the fact that Maryland hasn't figured out how to run a successful football program...ever...

...enjoy getting spanked in the Big 10 as well. At least in that conference you have an opportunity to make a few waves in basketball. If you're not getting your recruits and sucking in the ACC, then you'll continue to not get recruits and suck in the Big 10.

I respect the optimism that many Maryland fans should have, but that's all it is.

#17 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

The problem is that big 10 football has been going downhill for years. They might be worse than the ACC this year. If Rutgers was in the Big 10 right now, they would be the highest ranked team irt the BCS poll. Maybe they will get better once Ohio State and Penn State get off probation, or maybe not. As the graph above shows, the highest percentage of football talent is coming from SEC country (probably the biggest reason that the SEC is dominant right now).

#18 Niner National

Niner National

HUDDLER

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

The problem is that big 10 football has been going downhill for years. They might be worse than the ACC this year. If Rutgers was in the Big 10 right now, they would be the highest ranked team irt the BCS poll. Maybe they will get better once Ohio State and Penn State get off probation, or maybe not. As the graph above shows, the highest percentage of football talent is coming from SEC country (probably the biggest reason that the SEC is dominant right now).

Right now, the MAC is rated higher than the Big 10...and the ACC for that matter.

(That may have changed within the last week, but as of week 11 the MAC was the 4th highest rated conference this year).

Schools in the south with continue getting stronger. The south's population is growing and the weather is much nicer here.

Southern and western conferences are where most of the power will be concentrated in the future.

#19 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

HUDDLER

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

Right now, the MAC is rated higher than the Big 10...and the ACC for that matter.

(That may have changed within the last week, but as of week 11 the MAC was the 4th highest rated conference this year).

Schools in the south with continue getting stronger. The south's population is growing and the weather is much nicer here.

Southern and western conferences are where most of the power will be concentrated in the future.

Maryland will come to regret this long term decision to a short term problem in a decade when they are still playing teams they have nothing in common with and the BIG is a shadow of what it once was.

Posted Image