Crim

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

UCONN is in horrible shape right now.

Question Mark at basketball coach.

Banned from postseason.

A HORRIBLE football program led by some 80 year old retread college coach.

I'd rather have Louisville.

#2 in basketball

Rick Pitino

Charlie Strong

They make a ton of money

#17 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

Yeah the ACC is going to get stronger in hoops when everything is settled.

I don't think the movement is done though and the ACC will eventually lose FSU, Clemson, and/or VT. Maybe not this year and maybe not within 5 years, but eventually.

#18 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Just a hypothetical question- what happens if football becomes less popular in the next 20 years? Do these superconferences fall apart if the TV contracts start shrinking?

#19 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

I was reading on ESPN that another deciding factor for leaving the ACC was that they were tired of playing second fiddle to Duke and UNC. I found that especially hilarious bc where do they see themselves in the pecking order for the Big 10. Ahead of Michigan? Nope. Ohio State? Nope. Michigan State? Nope. Penn State? Probably not. Wisconsin? Probably not.

#20 theyhateme45

theyhateme45

360 GT = Shino45

• HUDDLER
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

I was reading on ESPN that another deciding factor for leaving the ACC was that they were tired of playing second fiddle to Duke and UNC. I found that especially hilarious bc where do they see themselves in the pecking order for the Big 10. Ahead of Michigan? Nope. Ohio State? Nope. Michigan State? Nope. Penn State? Probably not. Wisconsin? Probably not.

I have not read said article, but you probably took it the wrong way or they did not do a good job writing it.

If you visit some of the ACC football forums you will notice most of the ACC fans feels the conference caters to UNC... similar to Texas with the Big 12. The Big 10 is known for being fair and not catering to any 1 particular team or fan base.

#21 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

Just a hypothetical question- what happens if football becomes less popular in the next 20 years? Do these superconferences fall apart if the TV contracts start shrinking?

I think they'll have to. Travel isn't going to get any cheaper.

If the don't cut travel costs by going back to more regional conferences, they'll have to grant fewer scholarships, but that would create more parity and we can't have that.

#22 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,942 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

And there is a real possibility that football will get less popular, giving up some of its popularity to soccer.

Personally I think this could be a short sighted move by Maryland, but who knows what will happen.

Btw, I was told that the big 10 has some kind of automatic clause in its contract, that the addition of Maryland and probably Rutgers will bump their income up some, and thats a big reason that they were willing to bring in two schools that were not really compatible. Cable subscribers in the Maryland/New Jersey area are going to be charged more to get the Big 10 network.

I can't help but wonder if College Football will eventually go the ppv route. They should remember that is what killed boxing as a major sport.

#23 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

And there is a real possibility that football will get less popular, giving up some of its popularity to soccer.

Personally I think this could be a short sighted move by Maryland, but who knows what will happen.

Btw, I was told that the big 10 has some kind of automatic clause in its contract, that the addition of Maryland and probably Rutgers will bump their income up some, and thats a big reason that they were willing to bring in two schools that were not really compatible. Cable subscribers in the Maryland/New Jersey area are going to be charged more to get the Big 10 network.

I can't help but wonder if College Football will eventually go the ppv route. They should remember that is what killed boxing as a major sport.

Agreed on the soccer point. Mexicans breed like pack rats.

#24 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

I heard it would go from 25 millionish to about 34 millionish. Not sure if that is true, but that is a pretty big bump if so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.