Your top HC Candidates

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#166 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

Limited experience as an OC. Has been a QB coach pretty much his entire career. I know Reid went from QB Coach to head coach, but I'm not a big fan of 'skipping a grade'. And I have to imagine it'd be an even harder sell to Richardson.

I wouldn't scream, but not my first choice.

I get what your saying but he was a head coach finalist for penn state, just so you know

Edit: also got interest from bucs and dolphins last year as well

#167 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,834 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

No to Perry Fewel. He's interviewed for as many HC positions as Ron Rivera. I do not want to go that road again.

Yeah, and he's in a WINNING organization. Couldn't say that for Rivera could you? Besides the Accorsi connection is there.

Also why are people getting their jimmies rustled over McCoy? He did cater to The Golden Calf of Bristol/Orton and now is basically letting Manning do his thing. But to take The Golden Calf of Bristol and Orton and still make the playoffs and beat the squeelers isn't good enough for you? really the fug do you want then?

Personally I want an OC or an offensive minded Coach. I'm tired of the DC trend. Unless it's from a winning organization or we hit the jackpot like Denver did with a Fox like type HC that was ousted by the Organization. Rex Ryan may come to mind, if he get fired that is.

If Tony Dungy would be available, I'd say go after that man. He knows how to build teams.

I'd like to know who the Gm is already, that way we could probably be more specific on our speculation.

Also,. LMFAO at TGOATC for suggestin chizik...lol...just fuging lol.

#168 Upper Deck West End Zone

Upper Deck West End Zone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

Go back to your panthers bar in NYC

Sorry, pal, I'm back.

#169 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

I get what your saying but he was a head coach finalist for penn state, just so you know

Edit: also got interest from bucs and dolphins last year as well

And it won't surprise me if he gets interest again, including from us.

I would say I'm always a little iffy on guys whose names are attached to star players. There's always the question of how much is them and how much is the player (Joe Philbin, for example).

Granted, that's not always fair, but it's a valid concern.

#170 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,956 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Greg Roman

#171 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

And it won't surprise me if he gets interest again, including from us.

I would say I'm always a little iffy on guys whose names are attached to star players. There's always the question of how much is them and how much is the player (Joe Philbin, for example).

Granted, that's not always fair, but it's a valid concern.

That's true, and I'm not saying Clements is a bonafide #1 option either, But he developed Rodgers even before he was technically a 'star' QB and he developed Elvis Grbac, Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart into probowlers the one year he coached each one of them, as well that's all I'm saying.

#172 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

That's true, and I'm not saying Clements is a bonafide #1 option either, But he developed Rodgers even before he was technically a 'star' QB and he developed Elvis Grbac, Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart into probowlers the one year he coached each one of them, as well that's all I'm saying.

All valid.

There's something to be said for having a guy who knows the QB spot well in charge of the whole thing.

Not sure it happens here, but I'm hoping Accorsi convinces Richardon to be a little less 'set in his ways' on certain fronts (like what kind of coach he hires).

#173 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

A lot of names. Some thoughts.

Based on Jerry's executive hiring decisions, why should we have any faith in anyone he directly hires? And if we do get a good coach, why should we believe that Jerry will treat that person well? Ditto with a general manager.

I have ZERO faith in Jerry's ability to make the two most important decisions: the hiring of a head coach and the hiring of a general manager.

The best coaches gravitate toward the best owners and organizations. They pick and choose the destination that will work for them; it's just like any other business: the top candidates are not interested in going to a bad company.

Word gets around among coaches about the 'corporate culture' and I believe that Jerry's reputation among coaches is poor. PLUS...Jerry has a reputation for being cheap when it comes to coaches. Word also gets around among the agents representing coaches.

Organizations with major, major problems call in a consultant. It would shock me if Jerry actually does what Ernie tells him.

So we can speculate about coaches but with the organization in disarray and the presence of several genuine passengers on the roster PLUS salary cap problems, the top candidates will steer well clear of Charlotte. Sad but true but I hope I'm proven wrong.

A new coach will arrive. He will say all the right things. Jerry will send PSL owners a letter at the end of the season telling us he's proud of us and that things will be better but there's no reason for optimism while Jerry is the owner.

I hate it for us, but totally agree. I think Jerry's rep cost us a great shot at luck/harbaugh and will make any good coach think long and hard. Maybe just maybe we get lucky with a bargain bin coach but the odds are against us

#174 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

Richardson's reputation on an internet forum/sports radio and Richardson's reputation in the league are two very different things.

#175 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

I want Tom Clements, OC for the Packers. Panthers need to hire a QB guru to coach Cam Newton. That's the biggest need. If Cam dominates, everything else will fall in line.

And not only someone who knows X's and O's, but someone who can corral Cam's ego, tell him to shut the hell up, hit the gym/playbooks and win some games. I don't know much about Clements personality in that regard.

#176 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Yeah, and he's in a WINNING organization. Couldn't say that for Rivera could you? Besides the Accorsi connection is there.

Actually, you could.

While with Philly, the Eagles had records of:
1999: 5-11
2000: 11-5 (Wild Card Berth)
2001: 11-5 (Division Champions)
2002: 12-4 (Division Champions)
2003: 12-4 (Division Champions)

With the Bears:
2004: 5-11
2005: 11-5 (Division Champions)
2006: 13-2 (NFC Champions)

With the Chargers:
2007: 11-5 (Division Champions)
2008: 8-8 (Division Champions)
2009: 13-3 (Division Champions)
2010: 9-7

#177 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

Actually, you could.

While with Philly, the Eagles had records of:
1999: 5-11
2000: 11-5 (Wild Card Berth)
2001: 11-5 (Division Champions)
2002: 12-4 (Division Champions)
2003: 12-4 (Division Champions)

With the Bears:
2004: 5-11
2005: 11-5 (Division Champions)
2006: 13-2 (NFC Champions)

With the Chargers:
2007: 11-5 (Division Champions)
2008: 8-8 (Division Champions)
2009: 13-3 (Division Champions)
2010: 9-7

And you know what, he'll probably become a winner again wherever he goes once he's out of this black hole.

#178 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

I'm starting to see this argument more and more about Mike McCoy. Do people really want to make him head coach just because he dumbed down an offense for The Golden Calf of Bristol? :phew:

#179 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• HUDDLER
  • 2,124 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

I'm starting to see this argument more and more about Mike McCoy. Do people really want to make him head coach just because he dumbed down an offense for The Golden Calf of Bristol? :phew:

For some reason a lot of people think he will be our next coach.

#180 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

I hope not. To me, his offensive knowledge hasn't been shown for two years now. This year, Peyton is running things. Last year, The Golden Calf of Bristol just played backyard football. All he's done is drink gatorade on the sidelines. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com