202 replies to this topic

#121 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

______CYA_____

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,978 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

OK, Belichick is ONE retread out of how many coaches in the NFL right now...blah blah blah

This is really starting to bug me. Why do people keep saying "we need a coach with HC experience?" Just because Rivera is a shoddy coach doesn't mean all coordinators and assistants will suddenly be bad HCs.

Because history clearly tells us otherwise.

#122 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

My point is, can people stop with this, we NEED a former HC? We don't NEED that. We NEED to hire the best man for the job. Damn near (as in, not all) of the best teams in the NFL right now have coaches who are first time HCs. So I don't know why some are under the belief that it is a must to have been a former HC to be successful.

#123 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

Because history clearly tells us otherwise.

Because Rivera sucks means that all coordinators will suck as a HC? Sound logic!

No, history does not tell us otherwise. McCarthy isn't a retread. Harbaugh (baltimore) isn't a retread. 49ers Harbaugh didn't have HC NFL experience before he got to 49ers. Neither did Tomlin. Or Lovie. Or Mike Smith. Or Reid. Or Pagano (or Arians, whoever you want to credit for Colts success). Or Kubiak. Or Schwartz. Or Ryan. All coaches who have led their team to success.

History doesn't tell us a damn thing outside of the fact we made a bad choice for HC with Rivera.

If anything, what it shows us is a team is only as strong as their general manager.

#124 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,632 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

Sad truth: Timing sucks on this, for a couple of reasons.

First off, we'll have to get a GM in place before we can think about hiring a head coach. And unless we do that in near record time, there's a chance the best head coaching candidates will already be snapped up elsewhere.

For that matter, I'm not really seeing all that many great candidates out there anyway. I seriously doubt the Panthers will be the only team hiring. And more than one of the teams expected to be putting out a 'help wanted' sign will be considered significantly more attractive options than Carolina.

Regardless of who the best option is, our chances of getting him aren't good.

#125 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

I guess he made sure the team had enough iced Gatorade.

And I guess he's the dolphins HC now and has more wins than us

#126 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

Marty Schottenheimer with Herm Edwards as DC. Someone with no ego can be OC and force feed Stew and Tolbert

#127 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:23 AM

"Ask Madden" would be an upgade.

#128 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

Gus Bradley, Ray Horton

Both of them would take what we have, find something that works with it, and make the team believe.

Personally, I like Horton, but I think he would take longer to shape the team into what he would want, and there's no way JR hires a black man with shoulder-length cornrows to coach his team. :(

#129 DOMOMAN

DOMOMAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

Casey Bradley, DC from Seahawks, transformed the unit into one of the best in the NFL, hear nothing but praise including this from Monte Kiffin "J.L., listen to me. I have got a guy here in Tampa that is one of, if not, the finest football coaches I have ever worked with. He's an A-plus. He's a once-in-a-lifetime coach. You need to talk to him."
Now he's gotten 4 years as the guy in charge of the Seahawks D, he transformed them from 25th in 09 to 7th last year to currently 3rd in Points Per Game.. He's young, energetic and produces results, give him a stable experienced OC and we're good to go

#130 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

Don't really understand why.

If you want a guy who can make adjustments, think about this. The guy scrapped his entire playbook six games into last season, and re-coached the entire offense to fit The Golden Calf of Bristol as their full-time starting QB.

He then convinced John Fox to give up Foxball, and he handed to the keys to the offense to Peyton.

I think he could be a very good coach.

you're a new fan, I know this because we have to explain this to you, go watch some football and get back to us when you learn something.

The fact that 1) you thought McCoy was a HC candidate and 2) was brave enough to argue for him. Is probably one of the 10 dumbest things I've read on the huddle this year, and buddy that is saying something.

#131 ckad79

ckad79

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

Gruden would be my choice but if he does come back to coaching there will be many offers and he won't come cheap. Richardson has always been cheap with new head coaches after the Siefert disaster. First though, I'd like to see us sign a solid GM.

#132 beach

beach

geaux!!

• HUDDLER
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

I don't get the Clements thing going on in this thread. McCarthy's right hand man looking to actually become a HC is WInston Moss.

Gus Bradley could be interesting but he's a west guy through and through. Don't think he'd leave Seattle.

I'm looking at the Jon Harbaugh and Tomlin types

Again:

1-Rick Dennison
2-Winston Moss
3-Greg Roman
4-Keith Butler

Cowher isn't out of the equation and would be the only former HC I'd want here

#133 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

My top 3

1) Andy Reid, he's a top 5 coach in the NFL and he's going to get fired at the end of the season by Philly. Prior experience with McDermott means he may stay and Reid is a better OC then anyone we could get.

2) Jack Del Rio, his stay with the Jags he was never terrible or great but his biggest issue was he had no QB the entire time he was there. If Del Rio comes to Carolina he would have a QB and if we can Get Mike Williams from the Steelers through FA he will have all the offensive power he could ask for.

3)Bill Cowher, the one coach I would love to have the most, issue is I doubt he would want to come here. But I can Dream can't I?

#134 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,571 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

mike mccoy?

really?

lol

toooooooo funny.

guy goes from telling QBs to throw footballs into a trash can in practice (which is about the extent of what he did for QB development here) to the role of "OC" for a team that had josh mcdaniels running the offense to a john fox team where mcD just threw up his hands and let The Golden Calf of Bristol just do his thing and then a peyton manning led offense.

tell me why in the world would ANYONE think that mccoy could be successful coach?

#135 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

McCoy helped Delhomme make the pro bowl. Just sayin'... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.