Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NH House votes down gay marriage bill because of religious liberty protection clause

57 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/21/gay-marriage-bill-hits-snag-in-nh/

After a yearlong string of victories nationwide, the campaign for gay marriage hit an unexpected snag Wednesday when the New Hampshire House rejected a bill that also included legal protections for religious institutions.

The House voted down the legislation 188-186, shortly after the Senate approved the bill 14-10 on a party-line vote. Both Democrat-led chambers had approved a same-sex marriage bill and sent it earlier this month to the governor for his signature.

But Gov. John Lynch sent it back, asking the legislature to include language that would protect churches and other religious institutions from prosecution if, for example, they refuse to perform same-sex marriages.

"If the legislature passes this language, I will sign the same-sex marriage bill into law. If the legislature doesn't pass these provisions, I will veto it," Mr. Lynch, a Democrat, said in his May 15 statement.

Despite the vote, the same-sex marriage issue remains in play in New Hampshire. The Senate's passage means the legislation now goes back to a conference committee, where lawmakers will attempt to resolve differences between the two chambers.

Posted · Report post

Shame that provisions like this have to be put into a bill.

But how can anyone be AGAINST these provisions Lynch put forth...unless your intent is to destroy religous institutions that do not succumb to the homosexual agenda.

Posted · Report post

SUCComb....lol u are teh funnay

Posted · Report post

Shame that provisions like this have to be put into a bill.

But how can anyone be AGAINST these provisions Lynch put forth...unless your intent is to destroy religous institutions that do not succumb to the homosexual agenda.

Just to clarify, you are ok with churches not marrying interracial couples?

Posted · Report post

Itz Teh INTERRACIAL AGENDAZ they are pushing down our throat!

Posted · Report post

My wife and I had several pastors turn us down to marry us for a fundamental religious reason.

While we were disappointed, we would never dream of thinking it's right to have the state force them to marry us.

Posted · Report post

Just to clarify, you are ok with churches not marrying interracial couples?

Like orthodox jews?

Most protestant churches do not have teachings against interracial marriages.

I don't put the two in the same boat. What you screw isn't a civil protected right....yet.

Posted · Report post

Like orthodox jews?

Most protestant churches do not have teachings against interracial marriages.

I don't put the two in the same boat. What you screw isn't a civil protected right....yet.

Not seeing an answer here.

Are you ok with any church of any religion refusing to marry interracial couples if it is their belief system not to.

Posted · Report post

My wife and I had several pastors turn us down to marry us for a fundamental religious reason.

While we were disappointed, we would never dream of thinking it's right to have the state force them to marry us.

That would make you level-headed and willing to compromise....and I don't even know the details in which you were turned down.

Posted · Report post

not smart to wear assless leather chaps to the consults.

Posted · Report post

Not seeing an answer here.

Are you ok with any church of any religion refusing to marry interracial couples if it is their belief system not to.

Are you saying you're against this provision that Gov. Lynch wants in there?

Posted · Report post

Why are you avoiding the question? Answer mine then I will explain my stance fully.