Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on funding student film.

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Step 1: Skip class

Step 2: Career in sales

Posted

The technology at my school is archaic and you can only use equipment if it's on school grounds.

people have been making movies for quite a while, there've been quite a few great films made on "archaic equipment."

how do they know if you take it off school grounds?

TLDR: you aren't going to be able to afford to do this on your own. people don't invest in student films... if you want money from people you know, approach them from the angle of furthering your education and getting a tax writeoff... Anything else you're going to need a business plan... maybe try kickstarter?

A couple of side suggestions:

1. Audio quality matters way more than you think it does.

2. Get somebody else to edit for you... it will be harder for you but your film will be better.

3. Craigslist. Find people to help you. Again, you can't do this by yourself. If you can't pay them, feed them well.

1 person likes this

Posted

?

Posted

?

Worked for me. But if you fancy a career where you enjoy what you do then by all means continue down the path you are on.

Posted

Worked for me. But if you fancy a career where you enjoy what you do then by all means continue down the path you are on.

Oh I wasn't sure what you meant by it. I thought you were insulting me.

Posted

Worked for me.

Posted

Oh I wasn't sure what you meant by it. I thought you were insulting me.

Nope. Just a lazy marketing major adding his $.02

Posted

There's a website where you can ask for money on-line. Breifly you post what the money is to be used for and how much you need. People can donate money through the site. The catch is that the website keeps like 10% of all donations.

I'll see if I can find out their links for you. (60 minutes did a piece on this about a month ago.)

Posted

There's a website where you can ask for money on-line. Breifly you post what the money is to be used for and how much you need. People can donate money through the site. The catch is that the website keeps like 10% of all donations.

I'll see if I can find out their links for you. (60 minutes did a piece on this about a month ago.)

kickstarter.

Posted

Thanks 49er. Also I sent that letter to JR. Hey a guy can dream right?