27 games into his career

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

don't let fantasy stats leak into reality. its always a bad move. W's and L's. that's it.

Well, wins and losses shouldn't be tagged to a QB if you want to go down that road in terms of comparison.

Bc a QB can let a run game and defense win games.....and do little to nothing outside of not getting in the way. Mark Sanchez went 17-9. Team often was winning inspite of him.

even vets, Rex Grossman went 13-3 and to a NFCCG.....I guess he gets to pimp those wins. He won them since he was the QB

#17 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

the part I'd be worried about if I was a Panther fan...how long can he sustain it? You have to admit, he gets hit, alot, and not real gently most of the times!!!

It's an exciting game to watch, but I just don't see it being a style that will keep you healthy long

#18 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

the part I'd be worried about if I was a Panther fan...how long can he sustain it? You have to admit, he gets hit, alot, and not real gently most of the times!!!

It's an exciting game to watch, but I just don't see it being a style that will keep you healthy long

He slides and dives away from a lot of contact. I hate how they use him on the goal line though...we have battering rams for that...like pudgy Tolbert

#19 Originalman

Originalman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

Marino had less starts and less games.....so his is more impressive.

But as a starter, 18-2.

True and Marino had one of the greatest coaches of all time for most of his career. Where as Cam has a fool in Rivera.

#20 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

I don't know....I think RGIII has taken more big hits in 11 games than Cams 27. Cam overall seems to pretty selectively pick and choose his spots.

Cam is built for it.....how many times does someone like Julius Peppers get involved in a mini car crash per game?

#21 doghead28

doghead28

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

Panthers need to add some more weapons around him, improve the O-line and he needs to continue to develop as a passer. He only played one year of football at a major college. He is still rather raw but has all the tools.

#22 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

shitpost around the clock

• HUDDLER
  • 9,536 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

Well, wins and losses shouldn't be tagged to a QB if you want to go down that road in terms of comparison.

Bc a QB can let a run game and defense win games.....and do little to nothing outside of not getting in the way. Mark Sanchez went 17-9. Team often was winning inspite of him.

even vets, Rex Grossman went 13-3 and to a NFCCG.....I guess he gets to pimp those wins. He won them since he was the QB

pinning "wins and losses" on the quarterback or even acting like they're particularly meaningful when judging one when it comes to skill at the position always struck me as an extraordinarily weak argument. there are a lot of quarterbacks in this league right now that are considered very good if not great that didn't "win" a ton of games for several seasons. guys like matt schaub and drew brees weren't "winners" at least as we know them now until later in their careers.

and yeah it's true, sanchez should be one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time at this point if that metric held up because his jets teams made it to the conference title game twice in his first two seasons. do you see anybody lining up to make that claim, though?

really why should we even bother keeping statistics or arguing about things like touchdowns, yards, YPA, passer rating, etc. why should sites like pro football focus even exist?

after all, all that matters are "wins and losses", right?

#23 grateflday

grateflday

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

....... We've got to add some more playmakers to this offense.

Without a doubt that is something that is needed on this offense.

#24 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,662 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

Marino had less starts and less games.....so his is more impressive.

But as a starter, 18-2.

True and Marino had one of the greatest coaches of all time for most of his career. Where as Cam has a fool in Rivera.

Then there's Marino came to an organization who made the Playoffs 4 of the previous 5 years.
Cam? The 2010 Panthers.

#25 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,407 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

I love what Cam has brought to our team and expect to see him take us to multiple championships, but comparing him and Marino is just not appropriate. Marino was one of the finest pure throwers to ever play the game. Cam is not in his league as a passer (at least not right now). As an all-around player, yeah, Cam has probably contributed as much to his team as Marino did to his.

One of the things holding Cam back in the TD pass area is our lack of a true red zone target. Olsen is okay, LaFell is fair, but we really don't have that big red zone target needed in today's NFL to put up a lot of passing TD's.

If you want to compare initial years, Elway vs. Cam is a much better comparison.

#26 panthers5158

panthers5158

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

Dan Marino is the absolute last player I'd ever want a Panthers QB compared to. He put up great numbers, but he was a loser.

27 games into his career Cam Newton has 9 wins.

12 games into his career Andrew Luck has 7 wins.

#27 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

I love what Cam has brought to our team and expect to see him take us to multiple championships, but comparing him and Marino is just not appropriate. Marino was one of the finest pure throwers to ever play the game. Cam is not in his league as a passer (at least not right now). As an all-around player, yeah, Cam has probably contributed as much to his team as Marino did to his.

One of the things holding Cam back in the TD pass area is our lack of a true red zone target. Olsen is okay, LaFell is fair, but we really don't have that big red zone target needed in today's NFL to put up a lot of passing TD's.

If you want to compare initial years, Elway vs. Cam is a much better comparison.

Wasn't comparing him to Marino.....

Simply pointing out no QB has accounted for more TDs 27 games into his NFL career. Marino had the same total therefore he gets mentioned in the stat since Cam was the single holder of the stat line.

#28 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,407 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

Dan Marino is the absolute last player I'd ever want a Panthers QB compared to. He put up great numbers, but he was a loser.

27 games into his career Cam Newton has 9 wins.

12 games into his career Andrew Luck has 7 wins.

Football is what is called a "team sport". Cam Newton has no more ability to win games single-handedly than Andrew Luck or Dan Marino. It is the most important position on the field, but it's not the only one.

That is, of course, unless you are ready to call guys like Trent Dilfer, early Mark Sanchez and The Golden Calf of Bristol great QB's.

Wasn't comparing him to Marino.....

Simply pointing out no QB has accounted for more TDs 27 games into his NFL career. Marino had the same total therefore he gets mentioned in the stat since Cam was the single holder of the stat line.

I know. Just thought that point should be clarified because many of the people on this board never saw Marino play. But sorry if that came off as criticism of your post as it was not intended that way.

#29 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,783 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

QBs get too much of the credit in wins and too much of the blame in losses.

cam was damn impressive last year. it's not his fault that the defense let those wins go out the door regularly. the offense was one of the best in the league and the defense one of the worst. how in the world do you think that is going to work out? esp. with a newb coaching staff?

this year the coaching staff has done very little to make things easier for the offense and it's pretty obvious for anyone watching that they are doing things drastically different this year than last. last year when defenses started catching up to what cam was doing in the passing game they started playing more cover 2 and 3. the coaching staff's response...use the space a soft zone creates to beat them to death with our stud run game. force defenses to choose between an air raid of epic proportions or be beaten to death by the mother of all ground games.

this year they've done nothing to adapt to what defenses are doing. they decided early on what they were going to do this year and with a few exceptions, never deviated from that, regardless of how effective or ineffective it was. it wasn't until this past game that they stepped away from their master plan and allowed cam to do what he did last year. it wasn't pretty, but it worked.

in regards to the team needing more playmakers....they have enough. the fact that cam has been the dominant one shouldn't be surprising. he's one of the most dominant playmakers in the league when he's been allowed to and he touches the ball more than anyone. of course he's going to have more big plays. the team as a whole on offense suffers from the same thing cam suffers from in being unable to make plays...the coaching staff. chud. chud wants to win games using his intellect rather than the players on the field. it's not working. it won't work. free cam and the rest of the players by some confining and predictable game planning and playcalling and let them just play and we'll see a much more productive offense and more wins.

#30 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Football is what is called a "team sport". Cam Newton has no more ability to win games single-handedly than Andrew Luck or Dan Marino. It is the most important position on the field, but it's not the only one.

That is, of course, unless you are ready to call guys like Trent Dilfer, early Mark Sanchez and The Golden Calf of Bristol great QB's.

I know. Just thought that point should be clarified because many of the people on this board never saw Marino play. But sorry if that came off as criticism of your post as it was not intended that way.

It's cool. Marino is like the polar opposite if game. Probaly the greatest pure passer of alltime

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.