Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCP

Deems May: Panthers have 2 untouchable players

83 posts in this topic

I can agree with that list + Kalil.

There is a long list of "wow that would really surprise me" or "gosh that would suck" that includes Smitty, LaFell, whichever of the RBs we don't jettison first...players like that. But "untouchable"? Cam, Kuechly, and Kalil.

2 people like this

i agree.

they're untouchable because they're anchors on their respective sides of the ball. you can build an offense around newton, and a defense around kuechly.

everyone else either compliments them or they're potential chopping block fodder.

there are quite a few pieces already in place on the defense, but the offense needs to be completely blown up.

It's kinda hard to designate anybody 'untouchable' on a 3 win team that's getting a new GM and maybe a new coach.

Granted there are some guys who'd be highly unlikely to have anything happen to them. Newton and Kuechly would be in that group. Kalil, Olsen , Hardy and LaFell are guys who'd surprise me too.

I wanna put Johnson in there but part of me wonders what a new guy will think of his contract.

Agree. CJ's contract might make him untouchable. He will be very hard to trade and his cap hit has to be huge if we release him.

Hurney has really put us in a bind with these contracts. That tune may change in the summer as the cap always seems to work out, but looking at it now looks scary.

agreed completely.

doesn't mean they all suck or should be replaced. just that those two should be who the offense and defense should be built or rebuilt around.

Lol we used to have a lake house by him in euwharrie.

He used to get in trouble for killing deer out of season. He kept a gun by the toilet to shoot them in the morning while he was taking a piss.

He used to get in trouble for killing deer out of season. He kept a gun by the toilet to shoot them in the morning while he was taking a piss.

...so much lol

On one hand this makes me value the guys opinion even more, on the other hand he is a wfnz contributor.

Depends on what you mean by "untouchable"

Yes I think Cam and Kuechly are our premiere players (thanks Hurney) but I feel like we have some young "core" talent throughout the roster that shouldn't be going anywhere under any circumstance, including Johnson, Hardy, Lafell, Olsen, Kalil, Beason (i just have faith in him) and even Godfrey.

Then there is a tier of players that have some skill that need to be developed but not given up on, these are Silatolu, Norman, Alexander, and possibly Josh Thomas. Actually, it's a little disappointing how few young up and coming players we have (thanks Hurney).

We also have some aging veterans that while are still effective/solid players, they may be too expensive to keep around next year. In other words they are sliding out of the position of being "core" players...Gross, Smith (although, IMO he should stay forever), Gamble, Williams, Anderson, and possibly Hangartner (although no one ever considered him a core player).

Then there is the fluff of the roster, kickers, punters, special teamers, and depth that always transitions each year.

My point? I dont think this roster needs a complete overhaul. We can either put together two-three good drafts (don't think the final tier of players will ever see that) or bring in some quality free agents and hit on some high draft picks (how huge is vincent jackson, martin, and barron for the bucs?). Personally I'd rather go the free agent/draft pick route simply bc Cam needs some support. We shouldn't allow him to suffer through two-three more seasons of mediocrity.

I think finding the right GM and coach is huge (look at San Fran) to go along with a great draft (DT, OL, CB) and a few quality free agents (WR, OL, S) and we could make some big things happen as early as next season.

Smitty will retire vs. being traded.

Yeah, he said it himself, he's retiring as a panther.

i wish the term "core" was never a part the panthers vocabulary.

being so tied up in keeping a "core" is the reason why the team is in such shambles.

one or two players to build around is all that's needed.

I think we have as many as some playoff teams. I mean how many do the Colts have? Two. How about Cincinnati? I mean in the NFL "untouchable" needs to be at QB, one on defense, and your coach. Everything else can be riddled with players who will shuffle in and out. When the Giants won their first Super Bowl with Eli they had like 2 untouchables and a good coach. We have mostly what we need to make a run as early as next year but have to get the coach right