Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grammy Nominations

40 posts in this topic

Posted

Television is entertainment and filling a few hours of television with actual musicians and artists who really play instruments and honestly have a message behind their music is not going to pull sponsors or viewers.

However, take those same few hours and fill them with pre-packaged, lip-syncing, auto-tuning, good looking kids who have no idea what a bridge, chorus, open-G tuning or syncopation are and you have yourself a hit TV show making millions from sponsors. And after all, isn't that what TV is really all about?

Before the days of major TV deals with millions and millions of dollars at stake, the Grammys actually meant something. When people purchased entire albums so they could hear the breadth of music contained in those 12 or 14 songs and understand the musician's concept in building that album. 'Dark Side of the Moon' had meaning, 'Tommy' was a story, 'Purple Rain' and 'Songs in the Key of Life' were just that- what life was all about.

Today? Album of the Year likely means nothing more than a certain release had 3 songs downloaded more than the next guy's. Of course, nobody knows anything about the other 11 songs on the release because nobody bothered to buy the download and listen to anything else.

Posted

I should neg rep you for bagging on the most talented musician of our generation, I really should.

To write his music off simply as "catchy" is ridiculous. He has some of the deepest, most lyrically entrancing and genius tracks that have ever been released in the acoustic genre.

Hahaha oh no don't neg rep me for expressing my opinion! Please!

Do you write music? Or even play guitar? The dude has tons of talent but it really isn't that difficult to put together a song like his.

I've been trying for years to recreate the musical geniousness of Thom York and Radiohead. THAT is real talent, a talent that can't be duplicated. Ed Sheeran? I can't even tell you how many friends/ other artists sound just like him if not better.

All I'm trying to say is its harder to get noticed doing something that anyone can put together rather than doing something totally different and unique.

The dude is talented, but a group of guys creating musical fusion is MUCH more impressive and better sounding.

Posted

I don't have the distain that most seem to have for them, butIt is refreshing to see that the "boy bands" like One Direction and Bieber were snubbed, or at least that's what I heard on GMA this morning.

Posted

Hahaha oh no don't neg rep me for expressing my opinion! Please!

Do you write music? Or even play guitar? The dude has tons of talent but it really isn't that difficult to put together a song like his.

I've been trying for years to recreate the musical geniousness of Thom York and Radiohead. THAT is real talent, a talent that can't be duplicated. Ed Sheeran? I can't even tell you how many friends/ other artists sound just like him if not better.

All I'm trying to say is its harder to get noticed doing something that anyone can put together rather than doing something totally different and unique.

The dude is talented, but a group of guys creating musical fusion is MUCH more impressive and better sounding.

I honestly have no clue who the Ed Sheeran guy is, but if you sounded anymore like a douchey hipster I might have to punch you through the internet.

1 person likes this

Posted

I wish Taylor Swift would go away..

Nate Ruess, the lead singer of Fun...was the lead singer of The Format years ago...it's a fun song

Posted

I wish Taylor Swift would go away..

I have hated her for years but now I am actually starting to like her.

Posted

Concord's Avett Brothers nominated for Americana album of the Year. Also the Carolina Chocolate Drops which I think are from Raleigh are nominated for folk album of the year

Posted

Song of the Year has sort of turned into a top 40 cherry pick recently imo, but I think Album of the year is really solid this year.

Posted

I think that Taylor Swift's song being nominated for song of the year is a pretty big joke. It's actually the song that turned me against her since she pretty much went full on pop with it. It really pissed me off that it ended up being #1 on the country charts despite country radio largely ignoring the song since it's pop.

Posted

I honestly have no clue who the Ed Sheeran guy is, but if you sounded anymore like a douchey hipster I might have to punch you through the internet.

Don't let me rustle your jimmies friend.

Go to the tinderbox if you can't handle the truth.

Posted

Don't let me rustle your jimmies friend.

Go to the tinderbox if you can't handle the truth.

I own the tinderbox.

Posted

It seems like more your speed rather than talking about music with a bunch of 'hipsters'.

Don't worry old man, we'll try to keep our noise down..