Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should Churches Pay Taxes?

77 posts in this topic

Posted

Taxing churches is a dumb idea. A church is not a business. It does not produce and sell a product. They actually help communities with the money they take in through tithes.

Posted

The head pastor at the time was at around $120K and the others probably totalled around $200K between the four of them.. This was about 12 years ago...

I wouldn't consider these guys moochers or lazy, but to the point of this thread, the church did very little in the way of what I would consider charity work. Not sure how I feel about the tax exemption, never really put jch thought into it... I will.

120k?

inexcusable.

Posted

Churches should have to report their income just like other non-profits do. If they are found to not be truly operating as a non-profit, they should lose their non-profit status. Many churches do a lot of community outreach programs and that's great, but plenty others do nothing. The church I went to growing up NEVER did any charity work. They did take up two suspicious 'undisclosed' love offerings after the pastor's son wrecked his car on two separate occasions. A few weeks later, his son would have a new car again. It was a sham of an organization that was about 50% one family.

Posted

Churches shouldn't be taxed on any monies that they turn around and put back into the community they "serve". Any money they send out of state should be taxed at the same rate that corporations pay.

Posted

I wrote up a proposal once for church salaries at my church. My idea was the main minister not make more than 20% of the average member. You index pay for inflation and cost of living every 2 years. They took it and are still doing it.

Posted

I wrote up a proposal once for church salaries at my church. My idea was the main minister not make more than 20% of the average member. You index pay for inflation and cost of living every 2 years. They took it and are still doing it.

The church I went to growing up had a preacher that paid himself $50,000/yr, free house, car. His brother also got $50,000/yr for being the Administrator (appointed by his brother of course). The church only had about 100-120 members. My uncle is the preacher at a church with around the same number of members, maybe a bit more, and he does not pull a real salary. He gets some money, but he still has to work a full time job. Most of the people at the church I went to growing up were not wealthy, so if they were paying $100,000/yr in salary alone, there couldn't be much left on the side to do charity work, which makes sense, because they didn't do any.

Posted

true social mobility; equal pay and opportunity for all. it doesn't exist here in america.

oh, please tell me more about your dumb sales tax that was dreamed up and advocated by the rich, those who stand to gain an absolute poo-ton through its implementation at the expense of the poor and middle class.

Typical Lib problem. Equal opportunity does exist. Equal results do not.

Posted

if you do this, try to make it where if a church is to not get taxed that much, make sure its due to putting money or time or talent into groups or for those that need it.

In other words, giving the government authority to use taxation to tell churches how they ought to spend the money given by their members.

You think you can defend that constitutionally?

Posted

Educate yourself for once in your life:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairTax

It involves actual reading, but we all have to start somewhere. If you choose to remain ignorant, it is of your own doing. Good luck with that whole critical thinking thing

The FairTax is a tax reform proposal for the federal government of the United States that would replace all federal income taxes (including the alternative minimum tax, corporate income taxes, and capital gains taxes), payroll taxes (including Social Security and Medicare taxes), gift taxes, and estate taxes with a single broad national consumption tax on retail sales.

oh wow the "fair"tax is actually just a sales tax? i definitely didn't know that, and i totally didn't already post that in this very thread

for real though if anyone has some reading to do, it's you

Posted

Why do you guys think people are proposing to tax all churches at some astronomical rate to shut them down? Do we do that to people? Do the poor pay the same tax rate as the rich? No, so why would poor churches pay the same rate as megachurches?

the same reason they think liberals want to ban all guns (it's what they've been told by monied interests)

Posted

You sound bitter and jealous that your bad decision making in life has left you with a crappy job and no money.

"you acknowledge that social mobility isn't very good in america? WHAT ARE YOU DUMB AND POOR"

does this standard apply to everyone who has reached the conclusion that social mobility fuging sucks because uh fyi there are plenty of people who agree and have accomplished waayyyy more in their lives than you and your meaningless "work" at "a fortune 500 company"; you know, the "work" that you can't help but to bring up at every opportunity as if anyone gives a fug about the preordained "success" of bourgeois fugs such as yourself

seriously how much research did you do into the topic of social inequality while completing your work in "finance" because i'm guessing somewhere around 0 and yet here you are, acting qualified to talk about something that you clearly cannot even begin to understand (which btw appears to be a trend with you). seriously, if you want to debate the point, at least try to back it up. it's so fuging lazy to counter a well-researched, commonly accepted point with "but nuh uh what are you poor?" remember when i asked you if you cite your papers with something along the lines of (MADHATTER 2012, p. FORGET WHAT PAGE, JUST LOOK AROUND YOU) because i never got an answer; you never, ever, cite any of the dumb poo you post which is really a shame because i'd love to see just how far down the free republic rabbit hole this whole thing goes.

Posted

oh wow the "fair"tax is actually just a sales tax? i definitely didn't know that, and i totally didn't already post that in this very thread

for real though if anyone has some reading to do, it's you

so your attention span doesn't allow you to read more than a few sentences at a time, or you are outright lying by not reporting all of said facts. which is it? terminally stupid or irreparably devoid of morality?

you don't even have the grace to get page slapped with dignity