Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Short film I made for class.

42 posts in this topic

Posted

No really thank you for the insight and yes the intro is my favourite part as well. I love no dialogue scenes in my films with only music to tell the story. I did the same thing with one of my past films.

There were several issues after it was rendering like in the beginning the faded black shots were supposed to have the other video track that was overlayed in their spot. Also just a few bad scene changes when my girlfriend was moving.

Posted

I was gonna say that you would probably be good at making non-narrative stuff and whathaveyou

Short films are harder for me and many others because I'm geared towards developing characters and other nonsense. You have to think of it as telling a short joke.

Not much back story, and every detail must be essential to the punchline or else it won't be funny. If all that makes sense.

Posted

Would filming scenes with multiple cameras help the flow? Maybe isolate certain close-ups in scenes with a broad overall frame, emphasizing, instead of panning around? Also, depth of the shot is important. Finding that is probably going to come with time though.

Posted

Would filming scenes with multiple cameras help the flow? Maybe isolate certain close-ups in scenes with a broad overall frame, emphasizing, instead of panning around? Also, depth of the shot is important. Finding that is probably going to come with time though.

Would you mind showing some examples? Maybe in films you've seen.

Posted

I have no idea what im talking about btw. Just giving you my artistic pov.

Posted

Oh alright thanks!

Posted

Would you mind showing some examples? Maybe in films you've seen.

I will try to find something using timing and depth with certain angles to help stress the acting thats taking place and helping the actors with scene integrity and flow. Emphasizing actors strengths and covering up the weakness.

Posted

I will try to find something as far as using timing and depth with certain angles to help stress the acting thats taking place and help the actors with scene integrity and flow. Emphasizing actors strengths and covering up the weakness.

you're talking about editing. an important part of editing is having the correct coverage/angles to cover and reveal things with the right timing... it's very important for both narrative structure and performance. Two cameras isn't often the solution to this... as you can rarely get all the coverage you need from different angles without the cameras crossing eachother... you just have to take your time, reset and re-run the scene with different coverage.

/haven't watched the video, just guessing.

1 person likes this

Posted

you're talking about editing.

important part of directing imo

Posted

important part of directing imo

understanding the pieces you need to create your story is the most important job of the director...

that said, editing is what makes film. it's the only discipline that's unique to moving pictures... and is arguably the most important single discipline.

Posted

understanding the pieces you need to create your story is the most important job of the director...

that said, editing is what makes film. it's the only discipline that's unique to moving pictures... and is arguably the most important single discipline.

I didn't realize how true this was until a year ago. It's not nearly as easy or seamless as they make it appear when you watch a finished project.

Posted

I didn't realize how true this was until a year ago. It's not nearly as easy or seamless as they make it appear when you watch a finished project.

if nobody notices your work... as an editor, you did a stellar job.