Photo
- - - - -

3 Dead in Oregon Mall Shooting Spree **Republican tears pages 8-12**

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
201 replies to this topic

#193 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

i own a 38 special. i've said several times on this forum that i'm in favor of the right to own guns. in fact, i'd bet that many of the people here who have argued for gun control actually own guns. regulation =/= banning all guns. the problem is that whenever regulation is mentioned, the people whose guns double as penis extensions lose their fuging minds.

the problem with that is that while you may be entirely responsible with your weapons (a negative impact of regulation, presuming that you're responsible), others may not. i argue from the perspective that if it's more difficult for you to obtain a weapon, and potential gun crimes are avoided as a result, it's a net positive. i fully understand that you "want the government out of your life," and i've taken similar stances re: the govt's intervention in the market for the benefit of the private sector. however, i would also like to know that we're at least trying to make it harder for people like the guy from oregon, or loughner, or james holmes to obtain weapons. "they're going to do it anyway/they're going to find the gun they want anyway/whatever" arguments do not absolve the government of the responsibility to attempt to rectify problems like this; instead they stand in the way of progress.

part of the problem is the sad state of mental health in the US, as well as socioeconomic stratification; i think it's a multi-pronged problem that requires a wide range of policy change. that being said, when people (not you iirc) resort to "there's nothing we can do don't take mah gun," little is accomplished.

Agreed on pretty much everything... I think I just see the "fixing" of socioeconomic and mental health issues as pipe dreams at this point, and that maybe people that come to the same conclusion should be able to obtain whatever means necessary to make them feel safe in their homes and on their person. This is, of course, assuming they are legally obtaining said means via laws already in place that make it a process to do so anyways.

If anything, firearm crime matched against current gun laws and regulation should indicate that said regulation is flawed. I think we agree there. However, I believe you take the optimistic approach that more regulation could fix this, while I think it does the opposite.

good talk though

#194 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

And sink to the bottom with the submarines.

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

It makes me feel bad when a pro gun person (like myself) is willing to go through regulation and have certain things controlled and yet others turn the argument into a "you're a fine young male" and "i hope your mom is dead" tirade. That's the kind of "ignant" people that make the "pro gun" crowd look bad. Even while the "libs" are willing to let you keep your guns in regulation you're still trying to belittle them and tell them their fathers didn't love them.

#195 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

I cried myself to sleep last night.

#196 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

And sink to the bottom with the submarines.

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

I cried myself to sleep last night.

we all did...

#197 Chimera

Chimera

Not Bant

HUDDLER

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

This thread died too quickly. :(

All the regulation in the world won't stop rural folks from grabbing a shotgun every time they hear engine noise a quarter mile away.

#198 google larry davis

google larry davis

fleet-footed poster

HUDDLER

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

This thread died too quickly. :(

All the regulation in the world won't stop rural folks from grabbing a shotgun every time they hear engine noise a quarter mile away.

if movies have taught me anything, ban guns and they'll just grab chainsaws

#199 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

HUDDLER

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

I will spear a motherfuger in a second!

#200 Chimera

Chimera

Not Bant

HUDDLER

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

if movies have taught me anything, ban guns and they'll just grab chainsaws

If I were suicidal and wanted to make a name for myself before dying, I would've padlocked as many doors as possible and Molotov cocktailed the place.

#201 Chimera

Chimera

Not Bant

HUDDLER

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

I will spear a motherfuger in a second!

Yeah, but you ever tried to pull a spear back out? It doesn't budge. You only get one use from a spear. Make it count.

#202 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

PawPaw was a rolling stone