#91 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,799 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'd love to see Shaw or Kelly as OC under Rivera, both are offensive guys, as a tryout.

#92 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,570 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

one thing to consider....kelly's players loved playing for him.

i'm sure that stewart would love playing for him again and would be great in winning over the lockerroom, tho i don't think that kelly would have much of a problem.

you know who a former kelly player is? jairus byrd. this would be a great step in turning byrd's head in our direction (if we have a GM that can work out a contract for him).

the tough thing, imo, would be the players not knowing what to expect and moving from a very laid back atmosphere (which hasn't exactly worked out for us, btw) to such a fast moving and exhaustive atmosphere. those who are willing to take their game to the next level and who aren't content with where they've been for the past 5+ years will adapt. it will likely weed out the weaker members of the team (either emotionally or physically) and will make the team as a whole tougher and more durable.

one thing is for sure, if you want to eliminate complacency from the team hiring kelly would be a solid step in the right direction.

#93 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • 29,570 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

I think you also have to wonder if Kelly could effectively coach pro athletes, it's a different mentality than college kids.

I am not dead set against college coaches, but I just don't like Kelly. I think he's too gimmicky and despite being some offensive mastermind he has as many national championships as I do. My biggest issue with him is he has ZERO pro experience, at any level or in any capacity.

That's the reason I like Shaw, great pedigree, has made the most with less talent, has prior Pro experience and recently beat Kelly in a big game. I don't know if he'd want to leave Stanford or not, neither does anyone else. If we went the college route I'd prefer Shaw who ran a very effective and diverse offense with Luck.

lesser coaches beat better coaches all the time.

pats lost to the cards this year and the bills last year? do those teams have better coaches?

giants lost to the cowboys at home, and also the eagles and the bengals. do those teams have better coaches?

HCs win games just like QBs do. you have to look at the overall picture. you can't base it on just one or two games, regardless of how "big" the game is.

i have no reason to believe that kelly couldn't effectively coach pro players as well as college players. just because he hasn't, doesn't mean he couldn't and he'd be no less proven in that capacity than most coordinators at the pro level are proven at managing a whole team and a whole game.

#94 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,632 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

Part of me feels like Kelly would be Spurrier 2.0

I think JOATs point about college and pro guys being very different animals is what causes that concern.

#95 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,413 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

Rayzor is literally pulling the kelly bandwagon and I love it. I think Kelly is most likely to leave. Id love for us to grab him. If we did get him, we would definitely need a strong DC to make up for the offensive powerhouse the team would become

#96 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • 29,570 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Rayzor is literally pulling the kelly bandwagon and I love it. I think Kelly is most likely to leave. Id love for us to grab him. If we did get him, we would definitely need a strong DC to make up for the offensive powerhouse the team would become

said elsewhere that my preference would be a DC that is not only aggressive, but one that has been a HC before or even an assistant HC at the pro level and they would have to also have the position of asst. HC.

tops on my list are jim schwartz (if he gets fired), dick jauron (if the browns let him go), or winston moss (if he's willing to get promoted to DC and leave packerland).

#97 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 16,799 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

said elsewhere that my preference would be a DC that is not only aggressive, but one that has been a HC before or even an assistant HC at the pro level and they would have to also have the position of asst. HC.

tops on my list are jim schwartz (if he gets fired), dick jauron (if the browns let him go), or winston moss (if he's willing to get promoted to DC and leave packerland).

Isn't Zimmer the AHC on Cincy?

He's also very aggressive, well respected and has had a damn good D everywhere he's been.

#98 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 16,799 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

Zimmer is not AHC.

#99 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • 29,570 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Isn't Zimmer the AHC on Cincy?

He's also very aggressive, well respected and has had a damn good D everywhere he's been.

true. he would be good, but i don't know that he'd take a step to the side.

just in case my earlier post was confusing, i was talking about a DC for kelly, not a DC as HC himself.

most important thing for me is HC experience. if not that, then my hope is for an aggressive, forward thinking, offensive minded coach.

#100 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • 29,570 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Zimmer is not AHC.

i wonder if he would consider a DC/AsstHC a promotion and would be willing to move if he's not given a HC job somewhere.

#101 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 16,799 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

i wonder if he would consider a DC/AsstHC a promotion and would be willing to move if he's not given a HC job somewhere.

I want someone like Harbaugh. A very good offensive mind who can be hands on with a young QB, is energetic and values a dominant defense.

I really don't care what side of the ball they come from, but conservatism here has run it's course. I want someone who wants to dominate on both sides of the ball and knows where his strength lies.

#102 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,413 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

I think we can all agree that if we do nab Kelly a Strong NFL experienced DC would be probably more important then the kelly hire himself. We know what Kelly can do, but to make sure Kelly is able to make the move as painless as possible would be to have a great DC. Hopefully the panthers could make this happen. With Kellys high draw with the offense coupled with Cam we would be a serious threat.

#103 GSO_Pantherz

GSO_Pantherz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

Why doesn't Chip Kelly have a neck?

#104 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

I just don't want an Oregon offense here. We obviously see what Cam can do when we limit the read option college bullcrap. When we run the ball and use play action (traditional) Cam is a beast and we put up points. I'm afraid that Chip would bring his scheme here and we would have a Chud type problem again...

This is exactly what im worried about. Cam is deadly on the playaction, we just have to get the running game going to balance it out. The spread works well for Green bay and the patriots but i dont think we have to run it in order to win a superbowl.

#105 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,084 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

Kelly is widely considered a pretty bright offensive mind. Also widely assumed he would alter his scheme pretty heavily. The main thing about his offense is tempo. Billicheat had a lot of respect.

That is actually the one thing that I have heard about Kelly that really intrigued me. He should definitely be in the consideration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.